Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 PM

396 posts, read 1,032,435 times

Advertisements

I am in a pickle.
I have been dealing with my fibroids for about 10 years.
I had a baby via c-section (huge scar).
My doctor tells me that given my current condition of the fibroids (about 6 of them) and the scar, that if I got pregnant again, I could basically loose the baby and my own life.
I am a single mom, 38.
I was in the emergency room a month ago because the kidneys are being pressed against and caused me great pain.
Before the baby I did accupuncture, therapy, vitamins, you name it.
In the past 3 years I've slacked.
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on 1/9. I was ready, but now I am having 2nd thoughts:
I don't want to loose my options for future possibilities.
Is there another kind of surgery to take the tumors out and leave the uterus intact.
What about medication.
My doctor told me that the placement of the tumors make surgery of the tumor only difficult.
Is there anyone out there who truly knows of something I can research and follow up on?
The other issue is that I am on Cobra, and it will eventually run out, after I will be on my own insurance because I am an independent. The issue of pre-existing condition is creating a time factor for which action is necessary.

Thank you.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,228,657 times
I lived with fibroids for years. The doctor told me that ones inside the uterus could be removed but the ones that were within the walls of it (as were mine) couldn't be.

They do shrink at menopause as your hormones decrease. The problem with pregnancy is that estrogens will feed them. I believe I had a bit of a problem with my second delivery in that I had some hemorraging caused by them.

I didn't have any pain from them however they got really big and I felt as if I were pregnant so did finally have the whole shebang out. It's a bit hard accepting the inevitable. Get a second opinion and if they're causing a problem with your kidneys, you don't want that to become an issue. May be best to have the situation taken care of while you still have insurance.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM

436 posts, read 804,283 times
Are there options?

Certainly, there are. One can have a hysterectomy, thus removing the possbility of any child bearting.

On the other hand, one can haev a myomectomy, which is the removal of fibroids from the uterus, while preserving the availability of child bearing. Keep in mind that if this is done, the woman is, in most instances, subjecting herself to C-Section for the infant delivery.

Once fibroids are removed, the walls of the uterus could be less than adequate for the labor process, hence a C-Section is recommended. Most board certified GYN surgeons are quite capable of perfoming this procedure.

Please remember that any future deliveries are most likely by C-Section, for you safety, and that of the infant.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,400,746 times
Not all fibroids can be operated on. Also remember that anytime you have surgery in and on your uterus you will have scarring. Any pregnancy after a surgery on the uterus has the risk of the uterus rupturing during the pregnancy which can be deadly to both you as well as the baby. I would get a second opinion, maybe even a third. It sounds like your fibroids are really affecting the quality of your life. As far as your insurance you do not want to be stuck with a bill like that or refused coverage with a new insurance.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 AM

436 posts, read 804,283 times
Uterine wall fibroids are removed routinely every day of the year.

BUT- if you are certain that you are finished having children, have the uterus removed. Of course facing a surgery is frightening but, in the long run, you will be better off. No more pelvic pain; no more cramping or bleeding disorders to deal with. Keep the appointed day, have the surgery.

Additionally, your financial situation demands that you think seriously about the surgery. If COBRA will cover you, now is the time. Many insurance companies will not cover pre-existing condiditons for a certain period of time, unless the insurance is through an employer. Even 20% of the cost for thise procedure will set you back quite a bit.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,274,280 times
I've had fibroids going on 13 years, they don't cause me any problems so I have decided to leave them alone.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 AM

42 posts, read 187,546 times
I'm having a hysterectomy soon because of fibroids. I have dozens of them and some very large ones which are affecting other internal organs. I've had two myomectomies, but the fibroids keep returning. Large fibroids can permanently damage internal organs if left unchecked. I'm 40, so waiting for menopause is not an option. Don't risk your own health because you may want another child. As previously mentioned, pregnancy may be difficult and may be unsuccessful.

However, do get another opinion from another doctor.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,920,254 times
A great read for anyone with women's issues such as fibroids is "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Dr. Christiane Northrup. I remember reading about fibroids extensively in that book.

I second the recommendation to get a second opinion. One of my friends had this done in lieu of more invasive surgery: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ufe&bhcp=1

Old 12-09-2007, 02:52 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,400,746 times
I have a fibroid on my uterus now. I have had bleeding for over a year and became very anemic at one point. I also have excessive estrogen and they thought that was the reason why I was bleeding. After being on progestrone for 2 mos. and the bleeding not having stopped, they feel it is the fibroid that is causing the bleeding. I am now in a position of possibly having to have a total hysterectomy. I am 54 so I love the idea of no more periods but am fearful of the idea of major surgery. They would also at the same time be fixin g a large hernia, so I would be having 2 major abdominal surgeries at the same time.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
IF you have the hysterectomy - taking the uterus is no big deal but KEEP your ovaries if at all possible!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness