Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times

Advertisements

I agree--slather them with whatever and light, cotton gloves to bed. Crisco actually works really well too. Make sure you cover them when you go outside and wear rubber gloves for washing dishes or cleaning house. Stop using any "antibacterial" anything on them--plain old Dove or Ivory soap to wash.

Drink more water too. That will probably help the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I have this exact problem, and since dry cracked hands runs in the family I was told by mom to do the following:
Buy cotton gloves at CVS, every night apply a good cream that is specifically for severe dry skin. I used aquaphor, and gold bond ultimate intensive healing hand cream. It has hydrolast in it so it lasts through hand washing. I used the gloves and aquaphor at night and I cream my hands with the gold bond in the morning and in the afternoon. It's working very well.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Thanks for the ideas.

I have Eucerin and Cetaphil at home. I've been using Cetaphil and it hasn't helped. I'll try Eucerin tonight.

I'll buy some of the things mentioned tomorrow.

I think the problem with the bag balm is I didn't try to use it until after the damage was done. If I had been using it all along, I probably would haven't gotten into this mess.

I have been washing my hands more often because I'm cooking and baking more (since it's too darn cold to go anywhere and the oven helps keep the house warm lol). I'll wash them a few times while cooking one meal. I'll get some surgery gloves and just change those as often as I would normally wash while cooking a meal.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
Lanolin. There's nothing better.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I'd bet that what you use is not as important as how you use it and how often.
Protecting your hands in the first place, staying well hydrated and applying any good lotion frequently, overnight "oiling" with gloves to heal existing damage and you won't be spending hundreds of dollars on 40 different lotions.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'd bet that what you use is not as important as how you use it and how often.
Protecting your hands in the first place, staying well hydrated and applying any good lotion frequently, overnight "oiling" with gloves to heal existing damage and you won't be spending hundreds of dollars on 40 different lotions.
I know. It's just a PITA to have constantly greasy hands. Last night, I started using the Eucerin Aquafore or whatever it's called because I already owned it. It seems to be slowly improving but it feels so gross.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:42 PM

I'm heading in the right direction. I have some relief in pain. I have been using the apricot scrub when I wash my hands (it has oils in it and sloths off dry skin) and finish off with olive oil. I put the Eucerin Aquaphor on a couple times per day and after bathing.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 PM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I used Aladerm when I worked at the hospital.

I wonder if a face moisturizing soap would be good to wash your hands with since you wash them so often. Might be worth a try. Preventive not curative.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm heading in the right direction. I have some relief in pain. I have been using the apricot scrub when I wash my hands (it has oils in it and sloths off dry skin) and finish off with olive oil. I put the Eucerin Aquaphor on a couple times per day and after bathing.
I'd stop with the scrub...that is probably making it worse

Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I find the only thing that helps for my hands is palmers cocoa butter formula. The important thing to remember though, is not to use any cream containing any water moisture before going outside in freezing temperatures as it then freezes and cracks the skin more - use something like lanolin when going outside, and a moisturising cream like cocoa butter when inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness