U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times

Advertisements

My hands are so painfully chapped, cracking and bleeding. I've tried everything. With the temps below 10 degrees for weeks, the air is just too dry. It doesn't matter what I put on them. Bag Balm doesn't even help. I even tried exfoliating the dry skin off and smothering it with Vaseline. For this reason alone, I'm totally ready to move to a more temperate climate. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 AM

10,868 posts, read 18,944,912 times
Aquaphor ointment works pretty well, but it's a lot like Vaseline, so if the Vaseline didn't help you, I'm not sure aquaphor would.

If you can limit the number of times a day you wash your hands with soap, that will help a lot.

You can also put fake fingernail glue in the cracks, to act as a temporary scab while your hands heal.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:21 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,364,709 times
Coat your hands thickly with a good handcream and put goves on overnight.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 AM

208 posts, read 490,299 times
When I lived in areas with dry, cold winters, I had really chapped skin and bouts of eczema. I tried many lotions and none worked. Eventually I went to see a dermatologist, who told me that petroleum-based products "coat" your skin but don't actually get absorbed to moisturize it. The only thing that helped with healing my poor skin was Eucerin Calming Creme. Such a relief! I recommend giving it a try.

In addition to minimizing washing, I'd suggest slathering on moisturizer as soon as possible after showering/washing your hands, etc. Moisturize often throughout the day.

As an aside, if your cuticles get so chapped that they tear up (like mine), Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream does wonders. Just massage in around the nails. A little bit does wonders.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:48 AM

18,338 posts, read 18,578,802 times
If you have some coconut oil around for cooking, try that plus the overnight gloves.
But if you're willing to buy a salve, look particularly for something with zinc, the additions of aloe and vitamin E are helpful.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:41 AM

1,896 posts, read 5,999,323 times
I wash my hands often and they are in bad shape. I ran out of my usual cream and tried so many others, none worked. Went back out and bought my usual, Aveeno Skin Relief intense moisture hand cream. Works in one day. I have been using it for years and it's the ONLY thing that works.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 AM

19,644 posts, read 53,581,730 times
Cetaphil is also dermatologist recommended. Buy a pair of cotton gloves and wear them at night over the cream. My orthopedic surgeon father did this as his hands dried out from scrubbing up.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM

9,908 posts, read 5,792,552 times
Sounds like some great lotions, cuticle creams scents out there for me to try and using cotton gloves over night. My hands are chapped a bit across the knuckle area.

A day hand moisterizer I've enjoyed thus far but can't seem to find when this container runs out is:

Gold Bond Ultimate Hand Sanitizer - (sounds rough, but it's not). Non-greasy * Alcohol - Free.
Fresh Citrus Scent.

I've had a few people come to my desk at work and use it. They've come back and said, "it's really nice".
I hope to find another bottle soon before this one runs out.

Pump dispenser - very handy at work.
Love the way it glides on and makes my hands feel.
I like the citrus aroma too

Old 01-29-2014, 07:54 AM

12,786 posts, read 10,787,209 times
On TV, not a commercial, a dermatologist showed a series of photos of chapped, red skin.
Each area showed 4 stages of healing with the major lotions and creams all
familiar names to us...I remember Eucerin psoriasis formula, that is all, sorry.

One was Aquaphor, found in the baby department...even she was amazed.
Huge diff in speed of healing. A tub is $15 or more...a tube under $7...Walmart.

My dad owned a bar and his hands were in soapy water all time...he also said in
the 70s he had tried everything...I remember Udder salve, Norwegian Hand stuff, etc,
....and then he found Nivea in a blue jar...
It finally worked and he raved....his were not bleeding, however.

I don't use ot buy anything with mineral oi, or other petroleum names they hide.
But, in these severe cases....if it works it works.
Good luck...

Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 AM

12,786 posts, read 10,787,209 times
This group may be interested that Aveeno body lotion was recommended
for dry patches on a massage client's skin by a dermatologist.
Since then, 20 yrs ago, I tell ALL my clients with any itchy, dry or red areas...they ALL
rave and thank me....some were even using a tube of prescribed meds from
their family MDs...who know little about skin, btw.
Is it the colloidal oatmeal...I dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness