U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,189 times

Advertisements

I recently had a Chest CT Scan done both with and without Contrast and I'm trying to figure out the amount of radiation I was exposed to. The scans were done using a GE Lightspeed scanner. I have a CD of the images, and the last image on the CD is a "dose report" which shows the scan range, CTDI, DLP, and Phantom cm amounts. I have a few questions:

1) The report only lists "Series 1 (scout)," "Series 2," and "Series 4," even though based on the images, I had Series, 1, Series 2, Series 3, Series 4, and Series 5 done. Is there a reason why "Series 3" and "Series 5" were not included on the dose report? Does this mean that the amount of radiation exposure for Series 3 and 5 were left out of the dose report, or are they somehow incorporated into the Series 2 and 4 numbers?

2) I noticed the timestamp on the Dose Report is the same as the timestamp on the Series 1 images, but earlier than the timestamps on the Series 2 through 5 images. Does this mean that the Dose Report was produced prior to all of the CT scan images actually being completed? If that's the case, how accurate is the Dose Report?

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,872,149 times
It will all be a moot point when you have an arm growing out of your chest 10 years from now

Edit: On a serious note, have you tried asking the place where you got the scan done? They might be able to look you up and just tell you how much radiation you've been exposed to.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,841,699 times
Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the reason behind the chest CT rather than the dose of radiation you received getting it.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,369,507 times
You're smart to think about this. Most people just blindly get these uber doses and don't even think of the side effects. I am not sure why you want to know or what you think you are going to do about it now - but it is an important question - next time ask it before the procedure (and you will get answers that will minimize it so you would have to do your own research on the dose exposure).

Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

12,429 posts, read 14,559,489 times
My Doc wanted me to get a cat scan for my lower back...he was kinda pissed when I told him I'd pass on the equivalent of 350 chest xrays worth of radiation (that's conservative), and that I wanted an MRI instead.(no radiation)
Medical imagery testing could have a lot to do with the "epidemic`of cancers we are experiencing.
I`d be concerned (if I were you)..it's too late now cause you've already had the scan, but you might want to research before you have any more.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...en-overlooked/

What's really sad is that doctors are now wanting patients to have a virtual colonoscopy (cat scan) instead of a regular colonoscopy that uses no radiation. I was also offered one of those and refused...instead I went for the gold standard..a regular colonoscopy.

Last edited by purehuman; 02-05-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM

4,626 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
My Doc wanted me to get a cat scan for my lower back...he was kinda pissed when I told him I'd pass on the equivalent of 350 chest xrays worth of radiation (that's conservative), and that I wanted an MRI instead.(no radiation)
Medical imagery testing could have a lot to do with the "epidemic`of cancers we are experiencing.
I`d be concerned (if I were you)..it's too late now cause you've already had the scan, but you might want to research before you have any more.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...en-overlooked/

What's really sad is that doctors are now wanting patients to have a virtual colonoscopy (cat scan) instead of a regular colonoscopy that uses no radiation. I was also offered one of those and refused...instead I went for the gold standard..a regular colonoscopy.
350 chest x-rays=1 chest CT is conservative???? Your "doc" wasn't "pissed" he was just thinking "what an idiot"

Not even close on the comparison....try 50-70 chest x-rays = 1 chest CT

MRI does not equal CT scan, they are not interchangeable and there are different indications for each test. Some structures of the body are better visualized with CT others with MRI....

Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM

12,429 posts, read 14,559,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your "doc" wasn't "pissed" he was just thinking "what an idiot"

Got any more names you can call me?
You've used that one before...it gets kinda booooooooooring after awhile.

https://rpop.iaea.org/RPOP/RPoP/Cont...aphy/#CT-FAQ03

"A cat scan with a dose of say 10 mSv is equivalent to 500 chest xrays which average .02 mSv each.

Last edited by purehuman; 02-07-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness