Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with it a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a good night's sleep in that time due to the feeling of a needle being stuck in my backside and left leg. I have taken OTC and prescription pain-relievers but they haven't helped much. I was supposed to get an injection in some of my lower vertebrae (a "nerve block"), but the only doctor in town who does such things is now himself hosptialized with some ailments! I have never felt such pain. I am miserable. Is there a support group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:41 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...t-present.html

You might might to read through this thread and see if you get any tips.....

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I'm not a support group and I certainly am not a doctor. So take my advice accordingly. But for several decades I have suffered from periodic bouts of sciatica in which I am immobilized with pain. I'd be happy to share what I do. So far, it has always provided me with quick enough relief that I have yet to seek a back injection.

My sciatica pain has always seemingly come upon me suddenly, but in tracking my bouts over many years I have come to one conclusion. Mine are definitely brought on by a stretch of unusual physical activity, followed by non-activity. For example, putting in an entire garden, then going back to work on Monday where I was required to sit in meetings endlessly for an entire day. Or frantically cleaning my entire house all in one day, followed up by a car trip that required me to drive for eight hours. So the most important thing I've learned that's useful: I should not do things like that.

It seems to me that my sciatica pain is a big nerve totally agitated and screaming for relief. So I try to treat that in common-sense ways. The pain even feels hot. I keep as still as possible. I lie down in a place that is supportive, yet comfortable. The floor with some pillows that I can adjust works best for me. Get in whatever position seems to take the most stress off your pain areas. I've tried both heat and cold and neither seems to make a difference to me. Try to be calm. Breathe deeply. Meditate if you can. Read, listen to soothing music, or get interested in a low-noise, low-stress movie. No seat-of-your seat thrillers or sci-fi shockers.

I take a doctor-prescribed pain killer. I'm not a big one for taking pharmaceuticals in general, but this is a case in which I make an exception, and usually half a pill, taken when one is directed, is enough for me. The nerve is unlikely to calm down if I am wracked with pain. I have found the sciatica pain to be exacerbated by the fact that many of the muscles in that surrounding area seem to seize up. So I take the herbal supplement Valerian Root, which is a natural muscle relaxer. I caution you to be very careful in mixing pain meds and muscle relaxers. If you are consulting a doctor to get the pain pill, ask him or her for a prescription muscle relaxer that is compatible. I just always have Valerian Root in the house because I use it occasionally for more than this one problem. But my main point is: the pain and the contracting muscles are two different issues and need to be addressed separately.

When you have to get up, do it gently. Walk slowly. Don't do anything stressful. Even after the pain subsides, take it easy. No vacuuming or floor washing. No exercise involving the back for a few days. If you do something that causes constant physical stress on one part of your body, readjust that stress. Do you have a pair of shoes you wear constantly that might be throwing your weight onto the sore part of your body? Or a chair you sit in that causes pressure? Or a position you sleep in? If you can identify that, change it, at least temporarily until you see if it's a factor. I've had shoes do it for me. If you have to go to work, try to avoid doing things that might cause back stress and lie down when you get home. Try putting a pillow under your knees if you lie on your back or between your knees if you lie on your side. That gets the stress off your lower back.

When your pain is gone, try a regimen of gentle back exercises to strengthen AND LOOSEN your back muscles. My brother, who has back problems caused by playing college football, swears by yoga. There are some Nautilus machines that are great for building up back and thigh muscles. I use Elaine Petrone's back exercises that are performed with small balls that are placed under the hips. This series of exercises done regularly has definitely reduced the frequency of my sciatica bouts. I got my kit of balls and instruction book at Barnes & Noble, but other people also sell it. Costs about $15.
The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress [2 Miracle Balls Included]: Elaine Petrone: 0019628128683: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck. My pain usually subsides in two or three days, even when it's so bad I could barely walk without crying.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Don't depend only on doctors and medicine. Exercises and stretches made my sciatica pain subside within a week or 2. Here's some from e-how, the first is an article the second a video. There are many more to be found on ehow as well as youtube, but the basics are the same.

Sciatic Pain Relief Exercises | eHow

Video: Exercises for Sciatic Nerve Pain | eHow

Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I had sciatica pain last week, barely could walk into the chiropractors office, 20 minutes later walked out with no pain. Pinched nerve, adjusted by manipulating the bones, no pills, no shots, no pain.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Thank you for the advice! God bless.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I get recurrent bouts of it. The best thing I can do for it is pay attention to my posture, stand up and walk straight with shoulders back and tummy pulled in. When siting or lying, several times a day spend a couple of minutes pulling in your stomach muscles to arch your back.

The first time I had it, I got physical therapy, and it slowly went away. I learned in PT how to hold my body posture, and for subsequent attack, I can gradually resolve the pain in a week or so. Look on YouTube for helpful exercises

I don't use pain killers unless the pain continues unabated for a few hours, even when sitting or lying down. My general philosophy is to never use pain killers if the pain stops when I rest, and if activities are painful, I just play through the pain.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 PM

306 posts, read 758,038 times
I got a cortisone shot and six days of low dose prednisone and it WORKED!...After two years of alternative BS.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
I got a cortisone shot and six days of low dose prednisone and it WORKED!...After two years of alternative BS.
l hope your doctor told you to consider that to be a temporary fix, and to expect to have to repeat, maybe in a year or two. Keep up with light exercises every once in a while to keep your lower back muscles well toned, and pay attention to your posture.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
After my husband suffered for over a month from a very painful and stubborn bout with sciatica, my friend reommended a chiropractor who had helped her husband.

This doctor taught my husband using the McKenzie Method of exercises...

Two sessions with the doctor and faithfully doing the exercises at home cleared up his pain very quickly. And by doing the simple exercises every day, he's been pain-free, with no recurring attacks. DH swears by this method.

He was in a lot of pain even after muscle relaxants, pain meds and other meds from his regular doctor--the exercises look simple, and they are--and they work.

Find out more here: Mckenzie Sciatica Pain Relief Exercise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness