Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorus View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but how do you know you have high blood pressure? Is there a pattern or do you simply had a couple of readings that were high?

I will never understand why people who have a handful of high readings immediately assume they have high blood pressure and start taking medication.

I would say about half of people taking medication don't really need it.

I never really paid much attention to my blood pressure. I haven't seen a doctor in about 10 years. But from the few times I've taken my own blood pressure over the past couple of years it was around 150/90. I really don't understand why so many people are denying that huge amounts of stress and anxiety wouldn't raise that reading 50 points it seems logical to me. And although 150/90 is still high it doesn't seem like something that should need meds before any natural attempt has been tried.

On a side note I"m really get sick of the meds. Aside from feeling light headed and occasional shortness of breath, they make it hard to exercise. The other day I went on my usual hike that I haven't been on since taking the meds and I could barley get through it and i was exhausted afterwards. If I can't exercise while on the medication what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Blood pressure medicine is cheap and without side effects. You can, of course, reduce your blood pressure by restricting salt (very hard to do) AND maintaining a healthy weight. You might be successful at lowering your blood pressure after a period of time, but it is for your doctor to decide, not you.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:06 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I never really paid much attention to my blood pressure. I haven't seen a doctor in about 10 years. But from the few times I've taken my own blood pressure over the past couple of years it was around 150/90. I really don't understand why so many people are denying that huge amounts of stress and anxiety wouldn't raise that reading 50 points it seems logical to me. And although 150/90 is still high it doesn't seem like something that should need meds before any natural attempt has been tried.

On a side note I"m really get sick of the meds. Aside from feeling light headed and occasional shortness of breath, they make it hard to exercise. The other day I went on my usual hike that I haven't been on since taking the meds and I could barley get through it and i was exhausted afterwards. If I can't exercise while on the medication what's the point?
Perhaps you just need them adjusted to a different dosage or different kind? I have been on them for years and have never experienced those things.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I agree, the stress very well may have contributed to your BP readings. Without the stress, your BP may be within normal range

But the point people are making is not to stop your meds abruptly as that could have negative side effects.

Ask your doctor if he/she is willing for your to wean yourself off the meds as they advise...if they are willing, then when you're off you can determine if your BP is in normal range w/o the stress.

I reluctantly went on BP meds after all my lifestyle tweaks failed to bring mine into normal range...the only time it was normal was directly after yoga!

Sometimes even aging can put normal BP readings into higher range--our veins and arteries become more brittle, even clogged, to a greater or lesser degree, as we age.

But my meds do not make me tired--and I exercise a lot--gym, walks, bike rides, yoga--without feeling tired. You may need a different dosage or a different type of medication.

Don't give up!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My BP was about the same and is in normal range with medication. I asked the doctor if I could stop or reduce the dosage and she no, not until my BP is LOW on the medication.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
...Aside from feeling light headed and occasional shortness of breath, they make it hard to exercise. The other day I went on my usual hike that I haven't been on since taking the meds and I could barley get through it and i was exhausted afterwards. If I can't exercise while on the medication what's the point?
These can also be signs of early heart failure. Do see your doc soon and quit your messing with the meds. I'm surprised you were allowed to leave the office with a BP that high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness