U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
Eat oatmeal for breakfast
Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
Exercise
limit meat
I dropped mine from 240 to 151 doing these four things.
Good luck!
THIS

In addition, for me, I had to go down to eggs every 3rd day instead of every day like I'd prefer On the other days I start my day with other forms of protein instead.

I eat my oatmeal as an afternoon snack before a work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,723,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
May I respectfully suggest a gym membership--or if cost is a consideration, an exercise CD used at home? Something as simple as 20 minutes of dancing to your favorite music CD or marching in place counts, too. I want you to be healthy...start moving, please.
I'm usually quite active but this brutally cold winter has been keeping me indoors. I can't wait for it to warm up a tad so I can actually get back to walking and even working again. I've tried the stationary exorcise bike a little but it is boring. I need to be outside!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Mine was 227, and after 3 months of eating low-carb (meat, eggs, butter, leafy green veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, cheese) it was 165. HDL improved, VLDL improved to 17. I don't remember the other number offhand. I know the ratio was excellent.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Mine was 227, and after 3 months of eating low-carb (meat, eggs, butter, leafy green veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, cheese) it was 165. HDL improved, VLDL improved to 17. I don't remember the other number offhand. I know the ratio was excellent.
That's very cool! sure shows how your lifestyle/food tweaks bring amazing results! Good for you.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,495,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
My dr told me it is only 20% what you eat, the rest is genetics.
Don't know if the 20% is right but current research/thinking is that for *most* people (I'm one), diet doesn't play much role, rather we physiologically produce most of our cholesterol ourselves.

From the Harvard School of Public Health article "Fats and Cholesterol: Out with the Bad, In with the Good:

Quote:
For most people, the amount of cholesterol eaten has only a modest impact on the amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood. (37) For some people, though, blood cholesterol levels rise and fall very strongly in relation to the amount of cholesterol eaten. For these “responders,” avoiding cholesterol-rich foods can have a substantial effect on blood cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, at this point there is no way other than by trial and error to identify responders from non-responders to dietary cholesterol.
I'm a non-responder. Most likely it's genetic since my mom was the same. Exercise seems to help keep it an acceptable range and usually my counts are just like the OP's, LDL in the 100-130 range, HDL >65.. Doc wants me on statins, thinks they have benefits other than LDL. But I resist, don't like that they make me cough.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:25 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's very cool! sure shows how your lifestyle/food tweaks bring amazing results! Good for you.
Thanks! DH and I were both pleasantly shocked by our improvements with only dietary changes, no exercise added.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM

71 posts, read 54,606 times
Actually, the amount of inflammation in your arteries is much more important to know, than your cholesterol levels.

The test to have done is: C-reactive protein (CRP) blood test, AKA C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac (CRP,hs).

Also, have them check the TG/HDL Ratio and AA/EPA ratios.

That's much more indicative of a future heart attack, than cholesterol levels.

75% of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,347,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
THIS

In addition, for me, I had to go down to eggs every 3rd day instead of every day like I'd prefer On the other days I start my day with other forms of protein instead.

I eat my oatmeal as an afternoon snack before a work out.

Loves,

may I ask what other forms of protein do you use?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Loves,

may I ask what other forms of protein do you use?

Thanks.
Sure

I am big on eggs and alternate using whole eggs for breakfast with making egg white omelets.

I also eat tuna (I like the pouches that have spicier flavors)

Cottage cheese - great with blueberries mixed in

Chobani Yogurt

grilled salmon (on a bed of spinich makes a great dinner)

roasted chicken breast

black beans - which you can eat alone or mixed in a salad

Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Diana View Post
Actually, the amount of inflammation in your arteries is much more important to know, than your cholesterol levels.

The test to have done is: C-reactive protein (CRP) blood test, AKA C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac (CRP,hs).

Also, have them check the TG/HDL Ratio and AA/EPA ratios.

That's much more indicative of a future heart attack, than cholesterol levels.

75% of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol.
From what I understand is that most of these tests can have their results strongly influenced by any inflammatory disease, e.g. IBS, chronic diverticulitis and others. Thus, there is a problem if you have one or more of these conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness