U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,952,941 times
Reputation: 3647

Advertisements

For 8 days now when I wake up in the morning I have this strange thing going on and can't get any answers because nobody has heard of it.
While I am urinating, loud and very long bouts of gas and mucus come out (no pain or even a slight feeling of having to pass gas), it sort of feels like I am having a bowel movement but it is mucus
I make at least 5 urgent trips to the bathroom with this little deal for the first hour I am awake.
After I make it through the first hour, I am normal for the rest of the day but it is an hour I have to set aside and devote to these little trips.
For the rest of the day, I am scared to death.

Just wondering if anybody has ever experienced this?
It came on very fast, I was completely normal and woke up with it 8 days ago.
Thanks, I very seldom go to a doctor, have never taken medications and don't want to if I can find information or solutions on my own.
I had 2 bowls of vegetable soup the night before it started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
 
Location: ATL & LA
927 posts, read 1,326,361 times
Reputation: 1394
Is there any other different food you've added to your diet recently? Perhaps eating a lot of a certain type of food? Just curious because I had a really abrupt change to my urine when I've eaten a certain type of corn chip. It's different from what you're describing, but I still wonder if it's a food thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,952,941 times
Reputation: 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Is there any other different food you've added to your diet recently? Perhaps eating a lot of a certain type of food? Just curious because I had a really abrupt change to my urine when I've eaten a certain type of corn chip. It's different from what you're describing, but I still wonder if it's a food thing.
I went on a cornbread kick where I was eating it everyday for about 2 weeks after not having it for about 50 years, lol, maybe there is something going on with cornmeal? Like a bacteria or something, weird, I hope somebody out there can shine a light. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,494 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Reputation: 26455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
For 8 days now when I wake up in the morning I have this strange thing going on and can't get any answers because nobody has heard of it.
While I am urinating, loud and very long bouts of gas and mucus come out (no pain or even a slight feeling of having to pass gas), it sort of feels like I am having a bowel movement but it is mucus
I make at least 5 urgent trips to the bathroom with this little deal for the first hour I am awake.
After I make it through the first hour, I am normal for the rest of the day but it is an hour I have to set aside and devote to these little trips.
For the rest of the day, I am scared to death.

Just wondering if anybody has ever experienced this?
It came on very fast, I was completely normal and woke up with it 8 days ago.
Thanks, I very seldom go to a doctor, have never taken medications and don't want to if I can find information or solutions on my own.
I had 2 bowls of vegetable soup the night before it started.
Since you said you ave not had cornbread in about 50 years, I deduce that you are past the magic age at which you should consider having a colonoscopy.

See your primary care doctor and ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist. It may just be a bout of colitis, but it is a change in what is normal for you and it should be checked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 01:12 PM
 
Location: California
61 posts, read 69,177 times
Reputation: 193
First off, I'm sorry you are dealing with something that is scary for you! I am a cardiac nurse, so pretty much nothing makes me flinch anymore. There are a few questions that your doctor will ask you - your current list of medications, your bowel history (last normal BM), if you've had a fever at all, and if this has happened before. Also, any passing of blood or dark "tarry" like stool will be noted. You don't have to tell us these things, but make a note for your MD. You will want to see your doctor, even if this clears up and goes away on its own. Its in your best interest to get a colonoscopy, which is done under light sedation these days and you won't remember/feel anything.

To me, it sounds like colitis, (infection in your colon), and you may be put on an antibiotic. Check it out, and I hope you feel better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,632 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Reputation: 14853
There is more info anyone here would want. Thuppermoon's was good.
We need to know your age, weight, allergies (and I may be repeating from above, sorry), sexual activity, birth control pills, (well anything meds you could be taking)
Since you mention cornbread...have you had corn in those 50 yrs? Corn flakes, Corn tortillas, corn syrup.
How are you with sugar, coffee, alcohol, junk food (fatty, salty, white flour, greasy...crappy processed foods)...there are reasons to ask as things are eliminated
and to get a whole picture.

How is you're sleeping? Any headaches all of a sudden?
Are u drinking 10 glasses, say, of water or juices...not soda with caffeine?
Dairy products? Cheese, esp. What's your fiber intake?
Vit minerals, any other supplements.
Any history of yeast issue?
Did u mention pain? Cramping? Sorry, on my Smartphone...

Then what I will do is ask my friend who always knows everything....so I am
anticipating her questions.
This mucus and gas is not mixed with fecal matter? Color of mucus?
Do u have normal looking BMs...Dr. Oz had 7 sizes and shapes and what they
mean, for example.
Shape? An hour of this ordeal is long...hmm, and sorry.

A fascinating case...I hope she can help.
And sorry the questions are SOOOO many! God!

Remember this is anonymous so tell us anything that pops in your head.
Often we intuitively have an idea but push it aside as insignificant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,632 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Reputation: 14853
And, ps, I forgot...yes....Corn, corn prooducts, corn meal...is made from
corn sitting in silos so full of molds it is horrible...and I stay away from all corn.
It has a particular myotoxin called .... racking my brain here... aflatoxin, I think.
The very same that was reported on CNN at 6 am then was never said AGAIN!
Yes, it is aflitoxins(sp?), from CORN, only, that killed so many doggies, when ?....6 years ago?
In the Northeast? Remember?.

It is said it is impossible to find any organic corn....because there simply are no seeds left without some sort of weird mutations in the DNA...don't ask me...I am repeating from some studies...I know, Doug Kaufman...but he was taken off my TV, he used to have a program every morning....big into mold and inflamation we have in in our bodies....being the source of weakening our immune systems, thus opening ourselves to all sorts of things.

Do I have an issue with corn? Yup....and did u notice I said nothing about GMOs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM
 
3,141 posts, read 2,952,941 times
Reputation: 3647
Quote:
There is more info anyone here would want. Thuppermoon's was good.

Don't think colitus because no pain at all, no loose stool, more towards less stool in different shapes. Normal size at times, sometimes smaller.


We need to know your age, weight, allergies (and I may be repeating from above, sorry), sexual activity, birth control pills, (well anything meds you could be taking)
Age 70, weigh about 170, no allergies, no medication, no sex anymore.
Since you mention cornbread...have you had corn in those 50 yrs? Corn flakes, Corn tortillas, corn syrup.
Just fresh, frozen or sometimes canned corn, occasional corn chips.
How are you with sugar, coffee, alcohol, junk food (fatty, salty, white flour, greasy...crappy processed foods)...there are reasons to ask as things are eliminated
and to get a whole picture.
Usually have sweets once a day or sometimes twice, about 5 cups of coffee, no alcohol, weakness is bread and butter, usually white.

How is you're sleeping? Any headaches all of a sudden? Sleep good, occasional headache,maybe 6 or 7 glasses of water, never juice, occasional diet soda, occasional cheese, fiber is bad, very little fruits and vegetable, very little milk. Like lettuce but only have it with dinner a few times a week.
The thing started after I ate 2 bowls of vegetable beef soup and corn bread. Later I had a glass of milk (probably the 3rd in a year) with fig newtons. Forgot to mention about 2am I was up and down all that night with the onset of the "problem"). By afternoon it had stopped but every morning since I get it when I wake up.
Are u drinking 10 glasses, say, of water or juices...not soda with caffeine?
Dairy products? Cheese, esp. What's your fiber intake?
Vit minerals, any other supplements. Multiple Vitamin.
Any history of yeast issue?
Did u mention pain? Cramping? Sorry, on my Smartphone...No pain at all.

Then what I will do is ask my friend who always knows everything....so I am
anticipating her questions.
This mucus and gas is not mixed with fecal matter? Color of mucus? Color is a tinge of pinkish or orange light brown. It is only a tint of this color
Do u have normal looking BMs...Dr. Oz had 7 sizes and shapes and what they
mean, for example. They usually look normal.
Shape? An hour of this ordeal is long...hmm, and sorry. I drink coffee in the morning but it starts before the coffee and continues about every 15 min for about an hour. Then I am fine for the day.

A fascinating case...I hope she can help.
And sorry the questions are SOOOO many! God!

Remember this is anonymous so tell us anything that pops in your head.
Often we intuitively have an idea but push it aside as insignificant.
The thing is this, I had a month off (I waitress 2 nights a week and babysit 4 days), In January, the restaurant has closed after 27 years so I do not get the exercise I am use to, my daughter teaches college and off a month before and after Christmas so I wasn't babysitting. I was very sick for 3 weeks with a cold/flu type of thing that wiped me out. I slept a lot but it didn't affect my appetite so I was eating breads with not much exercise. I recovered from that sickness and 2 weeks later came down with this. This is important because I usually never stop.

I have it in my head that it had something to do with the vegetables in the soup or the milk because it started within 8 hours after eating. Also the fact that my bowels were messed up because of all the bread with not much exercise. I wonder if the vegetables were tainted or the other thing, I opened a new bag of corn bread which I had with the soup but the thing is, what plan of action? I just don't know because I don't know what it could be.
Now I'm wondering if the new bag of cornbread mix was tainted, I remember when the kids were little I was making lunches of tuna fish sandwiches. I always tasted the tuna to be sure it was safe and once it wasn't, I spit it out immediately and ended up with a pink mucous bowel movement that was the most painful thing, terrible cramps just because I had a tiny piece of tainted fish in my mouth for not even a second.
Oh well, who knows but thank you so much.


Last edited by mag32gie; 02-10-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,368,298 times
Reputation: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
First off, I'm sorry you are dealing with something that is scary for you! I am a cardiac nurse, so pretty much nothing makes me flinch anymore. There are a few questions that your doctor will ask you - your current list of medications, your bowel history (last normal BM), if you've had a fever at all, and if this has happened before. Also, any passing of blood or dark "tarry" like stool will be noted. You don't have to tell us these things, but make a note for your MD. You will want to see your doctor, even if this clears up and goes away on its own. Its in your best interest to get a colonoscopy, which is done under light sedation these days and you won't remember/feel anything.

To me, it sounds like colitis, (infection in your colon), and you may be put on an antibiotic. Check it out, and I hope you feel better soon.

colitis is not an infection. The colon is inflamed, and often ulcerated. But not necessarily infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,632 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Reputation: 14853
Ok I'm going to pass all this on...now.


Edit:
I think it is interesting as heck you don't have cramping or pain.
But, that's me...she hasn't written back yet.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-10-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top