U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM

479 posts, read 1,010,028 times

Advertisements

I am 25 and had a blood test the day after Christmas (not the best time, I know). My doctor told me that my blood pressure was higher than normal as was the amount of sugar in my bloodstream. Is it possible that having eaten lots of junk food during the holidays skewed my results? Also, doctors appointments have always made me nervous, so could that have affected my blood pressure? I could use some improvement in my diet, but I think I eat healthier than most people my age, so these results were a shock to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
The blood test tells you what's going on at the time your blood was drawn and indicate quite accurately what's happening inside you body. Your doctor is telling you if you continue on the same diet path that you'll more than likely have some health problems down the line.
Blood pressure levels vary day to day hour to hour minute to minute, depending on the activity or stress you're under at the time of the BP test.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM

107 posts, read 388,935 times
Stress at the doctor's office can affect your blood pressure, but what were your numbers? If the blood glucose test was done properly (after overnigt fast), I think it should not be affected by eating junk foods for few days before. I would recommend you to make the full blood glucose testing that involves glucose tolerance test, which can show if you have diabetes or not.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I am 25 and had a blood test the day after Christmas (not the best time, I know). My doctor told me that my blood pressure was higher than normal as was the amount of sugar in my bloodstream. Is it possible that having eaten lots of junk food during the holidays skewed my results? Also, doctors appointments have always made me nervous, so could that have affected my blood pressure? I could use some improvement in my diet, but I think I eat healthier than most people my age, so these results were a shock to me.

Did you fast before your blood test? There are some tests (like glucose, for example) that require fasting for a more accurate picture.

Some people have "white coat syndrome" but most do not. You would really need to monitor your BP for awhile with multiple readings to see if it is continuously high.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,205,564 times
Oh I get the "white coat" thing where my systolic BP goes real high. Like once it was 145/70 and usually I'm 95/60. Also I found out in blood chemistry tests that dehydration can skew results. I tend not to drink enough.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

479 posts, read 1,010,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Oh I get the "white coat" thing where my systolic BP goes real high. Like once it was 145/70 and usually I'm 95/60. Also I found out in blood chemistry tests that dehydration can skew results. I tend not to drink enough.
That could've been the case with me. I had a urinalysis at the same time and will have to redo it because I was too "dry".

Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,224,033 times
My doctor's office says "Don't eat* anything so many hours before the blood draw for the test!". Basically I schedule the test for the morning and don't have anything to eat OR DRINK* (except water) after 9:00 the evening before the blood draw.

*Note they said to not eat anything, but that includes not drinking anything with sugar in it! They don't say that.

Basically just drink water.

Last edited by Billy_J; 02-20-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM

6,494 posts, read 2,236,855 times
Could you have taken any OTC medication like Advil, Tylenol, etc.? Some foods can affect blood test results, especially junk food because of the high sugar content. I don't know if stress would have an affect on blood test results though, but it would on bp. Blood test results can fluctuate, so if it is something to worry about your doctor would recommend retaking the tests in a few weeks just to make sure. You are only 25 and the chances of something seriously wrong with you is pretty low on average, especially since you eat healthier than most young adults.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM

84 posts, read 152,272 times
Alot of things can affect the blood tests result. This is why my doctor always told me to fast before take blood test for accuracy. Example like if I take blood test tomorrow, today evening I will stop eating. Just only drink water, no juice (becuze juice contain sugar).
For sure if you eat like a whole box of ice cream before going do a blood test, your sugar level will be higher.

High blood pressure also can be affect too. I remember one time I run from the parking lot to the doctor office, eventhough it was short distance, it does give me high blood pressure result as well as fast heart beats. It was said my heart beat faster than normal people, LOL! After like 30 minutes, I got my heart rate and blood pressure measure again, and this time it was Normal. So definately the running affect the result.

For accurate result, fast the evening before your blood test. Like after dinner today start fasting, then tomorrow you ready for the blood drawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or