Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times

Advertisements

Nasacort is now OTC too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Sounds like you have multiple allergen problems. I had similar symptoms a few years ago. Finally found a holistic ENT doctor that said I was allergic to primarily dairy products and wheat. He gave me a 1 week cortisone prescription and put me on a gluten free diet. It made a big difference, within a few days symptoms became better. And today I rarely get a flare up. I try to stay on the diet, sometimes I cheat, and if the symptoms start again I have my standby Nasacort to help relieve the runny nose.

I suspect wheat and dairy also. Forget about eating anything sweet. That also triggered it.

The ENT I have an appointment with is not holistic, but he has very good credentials.

The first ENT gave me a "blood test for allergies" (something I'd never heard of before) and the results were negative.

I have more time where I am in literal distress - where this mucus is running down my throat CONSTANTLY and I am coughing, gagging and expectorating - than I do with out.

Each morning I awaken and within 15 minutes, I'm going through "the process" of blowing my nose, and generally clearing my sinuses, using the netti pot, and nasal passages of this - gunk.
When the Mucinex kicks in, I *may* have an hour or two of respite.

As Mark suggested, I am also going to ask about GERD. The first ENT was dismissive.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I suspect wheat and dairy also. Forget about eating anything sweet. That also triggered it.

The ENT I have an appointment with is not holistic, but he has very good credentials.

The first ENT gave me a "blood test for allergies" (something I'd never heard of before) and the results were negative.

I have more time where I am in literal distress - where this mucus is running down my throat CONSTANTLY and I am coughing, gagging and expectorating - than I do with out.

Each morning I awaken and within 15 minutes, I'm going through "the process" of blowing my nose, and generally clearing my sinuses, using the netti pot, and nasal passages of this - gunk.

As Mark suggested, I am also going to ask about GERD. The first ENT was dismissive.

I'm not saying you do have GERD. However, its incredibly common among people in the fifty year age group. Many people are not medicated satisfactorily for it. Over the counter Prilosec is cheap, but a mixed blessing. Too many people pop a pill and assume their GERD is under control. I am now taking two acid blocking pills and two anti acid pills a day. I learned that the symptoms in my throat I often felt during a sinus infection had little to do with my sinuses. They mostly had to do with inadequately controlled reflux disease that was swelling vocal chords and making me hoarse at night.

I wish I had better advice for you. We may all be missing the boat. The allergy explanation is worth considering. However, if the testing was negative, I'd be inclined to believe it.

Wishing you'll have better health this next year.....Mark.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 962 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who replied.

My "equipment" includes a neti pot (I use it at least twice a day), tissues - I go through several boxes a day, mucinex (3X a day and that worries me) salt water gargling and sniffing, oregano oil, and an array of teas.

All of these remedies work once in a while. That's about all I can say.

I can't eat much because most food triggers something. I've lost about 15lbs. now and I'm underweight.

I don't drink soda pop, eat meat and now I have cut out dairy and wheat. They really make this worse.

I think I'm only going to eat fresh organic greens, fruit and water for a week to see if that helps.

Right now I'm in my second hour of coughing, gagging and expectorating.

I think I should be taking more than a multi-vite. Any suggestions?
Hi are you still on this?

Old 04-06-2019, 02:00 PM

9,397 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My take...anytime the body produces an over abundance of any fluid
it is cleansing, washing, trying to get rid of an irritant or protecting an area.

Something may be irritating you.

Me? I would eliminate all dairy for awhile, minimum 2 weeks, also white flour...which is in SO many things.
First.
Then I would snort warm salt water...in clean hands pour some in your palm , snort it up and keep
your head back...wait before you blow your nose...once a day is enuff for 5 days to see the effect.

If it was still happening I would snort golden seal, only the size of a matchhead, in each nostril.
Again, tilt head back...wait....then blow my nose.....if nothing else was working.

But, that's me.

I forgot, I would also be taking a cocktail of vitamins and min to boost or
help my immune system...you can look up those...the body
needs the strength to fight things off.

I'm no longer allergic to anything....but boy was I when I was rundown...I couldn't
have one sip of a soda without getting congested...or beer, or wine or gin or Scotch.... building up my
whole system with healthy eating...org greens, org meat, org milk,
org coffee...being more alkline than acidic,
Plenty of water with lemons and limes...and I'm great now.

I won't ask about your diet...but please don't be eating processed American
foods with 5 syllable ingredients!

Adding...this is just stuff I would do before going to a nose doc...before I get jumped on
for not saying that.
All good ideas.

My wife and I had runny noses and sore throats, drip, etc. for quite some time. Then out console humidifier quit. All clear within a week or so.

I bought a boil-off desktop humidifier, it boils the water and produces steam. No more drips, sore throats, etc.

So inside air quality is something to look at. Or have your home mold tested. It may not be you.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:04 PM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
I've had this for three years. It gets worse each year. I can't work outside of my home. I can't make plans because I never know if the post nasal drip will be running - or not.

When it is running, I'm coughing, gagging and choking. Constantly expectorating. It's disgusting.

I had a blood test for allergies and it was negative. My lungs are normal as per two chest x-rays.

I had a cat scan of my sinuses and it came back "with in normal limits" although I have a deviated septum.

Seeing an ENT in two weeks. My greatest fear is that he won't find anything wrong - or worse will not believe me.

Any ideas about what this could be? I can't live like this anymore...
Can you say allergies?

Zyrtec daily until you see your ENT. He/she will believe you. Why worry!

Old 04-06-2019, 02:07 PM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:

Blood test is relatively new. Ask for skin test

Old 04-06-2019, 03:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:

I went the whole route, allergists, and all his testing, injections which he taught me to do at home and then the otc drugs, and NEVER getting better. The doc's office was always full of sick people waiting for their jabs and drugs.

Grape Seed Ex got me out of that whole realm. Almost 25 yrs ago.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 774 times
Default Post nasal drip hell

I've been suffering with post nasal drip for over a year now. Choking , gagging times or constantly clearing my throat.
I read to stop dairy and gluten for a week and after just a few days I'm feeling ten times better. It's still present but minimal. I'll up date further as time goes on

Old 08-22-2019, 08:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
If you're open to Homeopathy, that might be "just the ticket."

Here's one (and there are tons more - google "homeopathy post nasal drip")

https://www.drhomeo.com/nasal-allerg...st-nasal-drip/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness