Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL about the werewolfs and vampires and lots of sex. Those aren't all at the same TIME are they?
Actually, they are. She writes some pretty weird stuff...but it's nothing like real life, so it makes a good escape read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,985,040 times
I broke my leg a few years ago - operation, plates, pins, screws, cast and in bed for 2 months...my husband took a few days off work but friends and family filled in when he went back to work. The doctor told me to stay off my leg or I would have problems with it the rest of my life....when I went back for a new cast after 2 months in bed, my x-rays showed that I didn't need another cast - I got a boot, physical therapy and have been good to go ever since.

My advice - do whatever it takes to heal your injury. Don't put yourself in circumstances where you are straining your leg or could re-injure your leg. Rest and heal. Enjoy the quiet and solitude. Plan your next vacation, watch your favorite movies, do your taxes, plan your spring wardrobe - get creative with how to pass the time.

While laid up, I read books, watched movies, copied recipes and decorating tips on my laptop, corresponded with friends, played computer games, had my hair-dresser and nail lady come in and cut my hair, give me a mani/pedi....entertained lots of visitors.

Time passed, I got better - life went on. Have patience and be content with your circumstances.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-23-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM

67,656 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Like Bill Clinton.......I feel your pain.
Broke my arm two weeks ago.
You know what -I think an arm is just as frustrating as a foot! GOOD LUCK! This too shall pass...

Old 02-23-2014, 11:53 PM

67,656 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I broke my leg a few years ago - operation, plates, pins, screws, cast and in bed for 2 months...my husband took a few days off work but friends and family filled in when he went back to work. The doctor told me to stay off my leg or I would have problems with it the rest of my life....when I went back for a new cast after 2 months in bed, my x-rays showed that I didn't need another cast - I got a boot, physical therapy and have been good to go ever since.

My advice - do whatever it takes to heal your injury. Don't put yourself in circumstances where you are straining your leg or could re-injure your leg. Rest and heal. Enjoy the quiet and solitude. Plan your next vacation, watch your favorite movies, do your taxes, plan your spring wardrobe - get creative with how to pass the time.

While laid up, I read books, watched movies, copied recipes and decorating tips on my laptop, corresponded with friends, played computer games, had my hair-dresser and nail lady come in and cut my hair, give me a mani/pedi....entertained lots of visitors.

Time passed, I got better - life went on. Have patience and be content with your circumstances.
You are so right. It could be SO much worse than it is!

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,295 times
On February 4, I fell on the ice and broke my right fibula and messed up some ligaments from my foot rolling during the fall. On February 10 I had surgery and they placed a plate and 2 stabilizing screws in my leg. NWB now since February 10. I have an air cast and can remove it to sleep. Living on the ground level of our house where there is a half bath - so sponge bathing and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. Have a knee skooter, wheel chair, and crutches. Can't leave the house much because I can't drive and none of our exits are without stairs. I can't use crutches on stairs (too scared, and not strong enough) but my husband has engineered a box that I can rest my bad leg knee on and move down step by step that way, while hanging onto grippers attached to the door frame. Works well - but still takes a lot of trust in the person that has to move the box down each step. Return to the doc on April 8 and hope to begin the process of rehabbing then. Am writing my alphabet with toes and flexing now - The last two weeks I am feeling very blue. Seems like this will go on forever, and I am feeling so incapable of asking for rides, or accomodations - as a generally shy person - this is pushing my limits so much. Maybe just feeling sorry for myself - but any hints or just sympathy about the accompanying depression when you break your leg?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,606,755 times
My girl friend is currently going through the same thing, for the 2nd time. She had surgery on her left foot late last fall and had her right foot done a few weeks ago.

She is a whiz with the knee scooter and is able to move around very well inside her house with it. She is not driving right now which is very frustrating to her, although will hopefully be able to start in a few more weeks. A big problem for her has been the horrid weather we are having in Indiana. Trying to get her knee scooter from her front door to a car has been very tough. We ended up putting down a temporary sidewalk of sheets of plywood, which made a big difference.

She spends her time on Citi-Data, playing with her cats, reading, writing letters and playing some word games. She also has a bunch of "Downtown Abbey" DVDs that she is watching.

This past weekend, I took her out for a nice dinner and we ended up going for a "walk" around the block, with her on her scooter. She really seemed to like just being outside a little bit. When going out was unrealistic, I got carry out from our favorite German place (jaager schnitzel) and took it to her.

Keep your spirits up. You will get through it.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,238,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindeestar View Post
On February 4, I fell on the ice and broke my right fibula and messed up some ligaments from my foot rolling during the fall. On February 10 I had surgery and they placed a plate and 2 stabilizing screws in my leg. NWB now since February 10. I have an air cast and can remove it to sleep. Living on the ground level of our house where there is a half bath - so sponge bathing and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. Have a knee skooter, wheel chair, and crutches. Can't leave the house much because I can't drive and none of our exits are without stairs. I can't use crutches on stairs (too scared, and not strong enough) but my husband has engineered a box that I can rest my bad leg knee on and move down step by step that way, while hanging onto grippers attached to the door frame. Works well - but still takes a lot of trust in the person that has to move the box down each step. Return to the doc on April 8 and hope to begin the process of rehabbing then. Am writing my alphabet with toes and flexing now - The last two weeks I am feeling very blue. Seems like this will go on forever, and I am feeling so incapable of asking for rides, or accomodations - as a generally shy person - this is pushing my limits so much. Maybe just feeling sorry for myself - but any hints or just sympathy about the accompanying depression when you break your leg?
Ow, sorry to hear that!

For the stairs, I do have a suggestion (being friends with many people with mobility/balance problems) - go up and down like a little kid. On your butt. I've done it when my hip arthritis wouldn't allow me to climb stairs the usual way. It's something you can do using only your unbroken leg for pushing.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,606,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
My girl friend is currently going through the same thing, for the 2nd time. She had surgery on her left foot late last fall and had her right foot done a few weeks ago.

She is a whiz with the knee scooter and is able to move around very well inside her house with it. She is not driving right now which is very frustrating to her, although will hopefully be able to start in a few more weeks. A big problem for her has been the horrid weather we are having in Indiana. Trying to get her knee scooter from her front door to a car has been very tough. We ended up putting down a temporary sidewalk of sheets of plywood, which made a big difference.

She spends her time on Citi-Data, playing with her cats, reading, writing letters and playing some word games. She also has a bunch of "Downtown Abbey" DVDs that she is watching.

This past weekend, I took her out for a nice dinner and we ended up going for a "walk" around the block, with her on her scooter. She really seemed to like just being outside a little bit. When going out was unrealistic, I got carry out from our favorite German place (jaager schnitzel) and took it to her.

Keep your spirits up. You will get through it.

A quick update. My girl friend has been allowed to start putting weight on her foot several weeks ahead of schedule. Her doctors says the key was how zealous she has been about keeping weight off of the foot while it was healing.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
When I broke my ankle years ago is when I started using the internet and found out about forums. I found a now-defunct broken ankle blog by one guy who's comment section had taken on a life of it's own and for YEARS and been a faux-forum for people to talk about their ankle injuries (the blog guy just let it go and wasn't even active anymore). From there I just went down the internet rabbit hole and started looking for anything that interested me and reading all I could about it.

Netflix was also my friend and it was back before streaming so rented many MANY DVD's and bought some used set of complete series that I'd never seen off ebay to keep me amused.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 9,210 times
It is so nice to know that the way I am feeling post-surgery is "normal." I too have a tendency to do things I shouldn't because I want to feel independent. I've had a couple of instances when I lost my balance and had to come down on my left foot . . . fortunately, I did not cause additional injury, but the pain was a reminder to put my superwoman cape away. I broke my tibia, fibula and dislocated my ankle on 09/06 and had surgery on 09/25. I feel exhausted all the time and a trip through the house using a walker takes a lot of energy. Pain is still a big problem, especially at night, but it is reassuring to know that others have the same problem. I was trying not to use pain meds, but after reading posts, I realize that I might actually be impeding my recovery.
Besides a couple of broken ribs, I have never had a major injury or surgery before; I have been active, healthy and independent all my life. Accepting the help that I need to get through basic day to day activities (setting up my "command center," prepping some easy meals, getting groceries) has been a humbling experience. I am so grateful to family and friends, but also find myself feeling depressed and discouraged at the prospect of another 6-8 weeks NWB and indefinite ability to return to work.

I am glad I discovered this site. It helps to know that there are others going through the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness