Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,604,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have mild chronic pain and sciatica (literally a pain in the butt!) but it doesn't interfere with my every day life. Once or twice a year it gets bad enough for it to stop me in my tracks but only for a few days.
You are one lucky duck then. I have severe chronic sciatica due to bone spurs. I get monthly trigger point injections, and on a 4 time a year schedule I get spinal blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
I've decided against a chiropractor at this time. Several sources I've seen call them reckless and ineffective.
Some can be, as is with every profession and walk of life. I can't use em, since the manupulations can cause MORE damage than I already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
When I was in college studying in the medical field, I did some work with drug addicts, it was well known among the high functioning (or former high functioning) opiate addicts who had insurance that getting an MRI was a great way to get access to pills. Even though they had no pain they could complain of pain, get an MRI and, more often than not out came the prescription pad.

Which screws those of us that DO have valid serious medical issues that need pain medicine other than handfuls of Tylenol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 PM

44,546 posts, read 61,236,501 times
OP, you may have what I have. Today I got the results from the x-rays and the PA called and said it showed L5 S1 lumbar disease and disc out of whack.

I looked it up and posted this site with wonderful information and explanation. You may find this helpful to your similar situation.
Lumbar Disk Disease (Herniated Disk) | Johns Hopkins Medicine Health Library

Old 02-27-2014, 11:10 PM

510 posts, read 1,438,398 times
Well, I'm not a doctor, but I do work for a spine surgeon and I can tell you this much- standard practice (i.e. what insurance companies have decided is best) is to get an MRI after 3 months of conservative treatment with no improvement when there are no neurological deficits. You say you're having back pain, no leg pain. Presumably then no weakness/numbness/tingling in your legs/groin area? As long as you are not having any neuro symptoms there is probably no harm in waiting, especially since you said it's been feeling better over the last few days. I know that we refer a lot of our patients to acupuncture and it tends to really help a lot of them. Physical therapy can also help, though I know that we don't usually send patients until their pain starts to go away.

Again, I'm not a doctor so my advice really shouldn't be taken without running it by a MD first. But based on my experience I can say that you are probably not going to do any harm by holding off on the MRI especially if you notice it trending toward improvement, AS LONG as there are no neurological problems. If you develop any numbness, tingling or weakness you need to do the MRI asap to rule out any potentially dangerous nerve compression. Also if you have any urinary issues (incontinence, retention), or any numbness in the groin/sexual dysfunction you need to go to your Dr. ASAP as those could be signs of Cauda Equina Syndrome, which requires immediate surgery or the nerve damage can be permanent. We saw a case of this yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind lol.

And whoever said that most people have spine issues and don't even know it is 100% correct. We'll see patients who are in their 40s come in after minor car accidents and are having minor back pain, and on XR/MRI they will have SEVERE degeneration, spondylolisthesis, old fractures, disc herniations.. the works! lol.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,792,718 times
I just skimmed the replies so sorry if I repeat something. I have had multiple MRI's before I got my dx. My pain was different because I was having severe ankle/foot pain where x rays etc was not showing anything. Over the weeks my pain was actually getting worse. I was young as well 28. So the doctor I was seeing at the time suggested I see a neurologist who sent me for an mri. Now I don't want to scare you but an MRI is also to rule out other conditions that could be causing the pain or to show if there was a growth even. Taking guesses is not the way to go in my opinion. Also it is very hard to treat something you are not sure the dx of. I know before I got a dx for my conditions I was sent to physical therapy and my condition got worse.
I understand the expense but maybe a hospital could work out a payment plan for you? I also would not just pick any MRI place. It is important to go to a reputable diagnostic place such as a major hospital.
Hope you feel better and get some answers.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM

10,068 posts, read 5,681,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
Listen to what tjardo says!!! Everyone has a bad back if they have imaging done. The pain comes from lack of movement and stresses. The body is finding a way to distract you from the overwhelming stresses. And so positive thinking and movement and stretching is an enormous help! There are more and more studies that show that movement throughout the day is the key to long life and good health. If you sit all day you should be getting up every 20 minutes or so to stretch and move.
The people who have pain, do x-rays and imaging then hear that they are defective in a certain specific way, then internalize that condition and will never heal.
Remember this is an industry by which people make their living. Of course they are going to recommend you need more of their product.
There was another book, maybe a decade back, by a pain doctor from New York (sorry don't remember his name) who found he could "cure" patients within a week by having them participate in group therapy. He had years of experience in the conventional pain meds, surgery, and PT approaches, and slowly started to notice that his most severely suffering patients ( e.g. couldn't get out of bed due to pain) were all in high stress demanding jobs. Once they addressed their situations, like quitting their jobs, the pain went away.
There is also a great documentary movie that is totally empowering: THE LIVING MATRIX. Check it out, it can change your life.
Best of luck!

I also believe back pain is more due to mental anxiety than a physical problem. I had horrible lower back pain so bad that I had to roll myself out of bed. I couldn't sit up. After 6 months and wasted money on a MRI, it went away when I was able to stop worrying and thinking about it all the time.

I wouldn't waste money on the MRI. They will just tell you that you have a bulging disc. Well guess what? Most ppl have this problem! It's not a diagnosis. Unless you have a severely pinched nerve, you're not in danger. Give it time to resolve on its own.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM

613 posts, read 937,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Just to update, sorry I didn't get a chance to do so sooner, busy night last night.

I have been doing better the past couple of days. I'm still not well, but at this point, I don't feel that I need an MRI. I'm going to continue icing/heating at night and stretching/moving in intervals throughout the day. I think that is what has helped the most.

The company I work for told me that they would gladly pick up the tab on the MRI and shots if I needed them and then I could pay them back in monthly installments over the rest of the year. I was gracious but declined.

For now, stretching, exercises, heating/cooling rotations and less sitting in my chair 15+ hours per day is doing well within the short period of time that I've been practicing.

My biggest disagreement with the treatment that has been planned for me is that it is not treatment, just a veil over the pain that will eventually come back. If it were an actual operation to physically fix something that was wrong, that would be a different scenario. For now, I think that the more "home grown" approach will serve me well enough.
You should GET this book: "Treat Your Back Without Surgery: The Best Nonsurgical Alternatives for Eliminating Back and Neck Pain". Written by an MD who I believe is a back surgeon himself, & runs the Texas Back Institute. Ironically, he warns against almost all back surgery, & has scads of bad stories of people that come to him who had bad operations that made them worse. Also, tons of practical advice, & exercises.

Treat Your Back Without Surgery: The Best Nonsurgical Alternatives for Eliminating Back and Neck Pain, Fully Updated Second Edition: M.D. Stephen Hochschuler, M.B.A. Bob Reznik: 9780897933728: Amazon.com: Books

Your insurance: If you get the MRI, as with Dr. visits, you have the facility submit the bills to your insurance co., right? Insurance companies have "negotiated rates" (if the Dr. or facility is on their list), so it should cost you a lot less than with no ins.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,343 times
King Brand Back Pain Treatment

A cold compression wrap will relieve pain due to inflammation and swelling and also allow your blood to circulate properly to repair whatever you have going on in your back... Injuries to the back are almost always soft tissue related, which can be healed through rest and blood flow. A blood flow stimulator will heal soft tissue damage within your back and even prevent future flare ups. They cost a fraction of an MRI too!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Might be a long shot but some back pain can be relieved by a diatary adjustment.

Low back pain, chiropractors, NSAIDs, narcotics . . and wheat | Wheat Belly Blog

Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,388,541 times
Can I join ?

Been dealing with herniated discs for over 14 years now. I was into bodybuilding for over 20 years. Now I look like a couch potato....funny how things change.

I go up and down with mine. The curse for me is a bad night's sleep or the common cold. It wears my body down to where my back goes dead on me...no strength to do anything. The amount of compression is unreal and unbearable at times.

Every now and then I need to take a vicodin but I try not to do it too often. Otherwise I stretch / walk and burn weed. If the Govt. doesn't like it F 'em.

The only thing I can do for exercise is walk but even that can put stress on my back. I am moving to California soon and hope to have access to a swimming pool or flat terrain so I can bike ride.

My chiropractor has been wonderful but he has his limits and surgery doesn't pertain to my injury. I still manage to travel but instead of standing in long TSA lines I ask for wheelchair assistance. I also wear a back brace when I travel...only 44 years old.

Trying to maintain my spirits UP. Not much else to do. Luckily I am ok finically or else it would be an even larger burden on me.

Plus I have other things going on besides back issues. Lets just say I got the triple play without asking for it.

Smile be pleasant and try to find your niche...regardless.

Good Luck Everybody.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,859,420 times
Just wanted to update everyone who cares to read, we went to Colorado and got through the wedding with great success, I even went skiing and didn't want to kill myself from pain, in fact my calves hurt more than my back which didn't hurt much at all. I have been doing very well on morning and evening back exercises. I never made it to the chiro, never went for the MRI, no PT other than home stuff.

It may come back one day but for now, I'm feelin' good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness