U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
 
477 posts, read 1,964,287 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

So basically during last summer I got really sunburnt.
Took about 1-2weeks for it to go away.
Then everything was fine..Later that year around late November my cheeks started becoming slightly red.
As I went snowboarding in December I covered my red cheeks from the sun but it started to get pretty bad.

Once I got back I went to a dermatologist...Basically the session took 7mins tops. And I thought it could have been a sunburn even though I covered my face when I went snowboarding...and so she gave me a steroid cream which cost $50 and to come back in 2 weeks.

After doing further research myself(fully knowing sunburn doesn't last 1 month+) that it could be roseaca and the symptoms/pictures are very similar.
I get a bill for $100....from the dermatologist for something she could have EASILY checked and consulted instead of going off on my assumption(when I am not an expert)
So in total I pay $150 for a 7min consultation which didn't even have her actually check what it was????

IS THIS LEGAL? Is there anyway I can fight this?
I don't mind paying fees/medicine if its actually helping cure/improve but this doctor didnt even check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Reputation: 106695
1st of all I wouldn't call her stupid, after all she is a trained specialist and licensed doctor. She did see you, consulted with you and gave you a suggested remedy. Doctors are not required or be expected to be cure alls. They have a license to PRACTICE medicine to determine what is best for you, not cure problems. Miracle workers they are not, only someone up above is.
When you visit any doctor it's a 50/50 situation, you the patient are part of the process, explaining what you think is wrong and the doctor explaining what remedies are available based on what you tell them. You both have to work together.
Her fee also includes the office fees of the receptionist, the booking dept, the rent, the utilities, etal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 AM
 
8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
Reputation: 10896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
So basically during last summer I got really sunburnt.
Took about 1-2weeks for it to go away.
Then everything was fine..Later that year around late November my cheeks started becoming slightly red.
As I went snowboarding in December I covered my red cheeks from the sun but it started to get pretty bad.

Once I got back I went to a dermatologist...Basically the session took 7mins tops. And I thought it could have been a sunburn even though I covered my face when I went snowboarding...and so she gave me a steroid cream which cost $50 and to come back in 2 weeks.

After doing further research myself(fully knowing sunburn doesn't last 1 month+) that it could be roseaca and the symptoms/pictures are very similar.
I get a bill for $100....from the dermatologist for something she could have EASILY checked and consulted instead of going off on my assumption(when I am not an expert)
So in total I pay $150 for a 7min consultation which didn't even have her actually check what it was????

IS THIS LEGAL? Is there anyway I can fight this?
I don't mind paying fees/medicine if its actually helping cure/improve but this doctor didnt even check.
Legal? Fight this? Are you kidding? You went to the doctor, didn't like the diagnosis so now you want to skip out on the bill? Wow. I'd like to do this at the gas pump when it hits $80...I hate paying $80 to fill my tank...maybe I should fight Costco on the price of their gas.

Doctors aren't gods or miracle workers...they can only go off info you give them..yeah, your red cheeks could've been a number of things..they start with the easiest course of treatment and eliminate as they go along. Would you have rather her given you a battery of tests that cost thousands of dollars only to end up with that same $50 tube of cream?

Pay your bill already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Reputation: 20965
Most people say they want a doctor that listens to them.
OK...so, honestly, think back. Did you say " I went snowboarding in Nov and they got red and I did go again and it was worse this time"
Or.. " I went snowboarding in Nov and they got red and I did go again but I made sure I kept my face covered this time so sunburn isn't likely so what do you think could be the cause?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 AM
 
477 posts, read 1,964,287 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Most people say they want a doctor that listens to them.
OK...so, honestly, think back. Did you say " I went snowboarding in Nov and they got red and I did go again and it was worse this time"
Or.. " I went snowboarding in Nov and they got red and I did go again but I made sure I kept my face covered this time so sunburn isn't likely so what do you think could be the cause?"
Neither.
I said i got sunburnt in August from being out in the beach.
Then November I noticed my upper cheeks getting red from just normal activities(going to work)
December I went snowboarding, but I kept my upper cheeks covered from the sun because I suspected it was from the suns rays it was reacting to.



I just feel ripped off. The consultation took 7 DARN MINS, she prescribed something that cost $50 and made the condition worse! She could have easily checked more thoroughly and gave me a list of conditions that it could be. But she didnt even check, and just went off my assumption. LIKE WTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
Reputation: 20965
So I had the details wrong but it still sounds like you were leading her toward the conclusion of some type of sun sensitivity.
But, all that is beside the point. It often happens that doctors don't get it right the first time ( and sometimes the 2nd and more) but it also often happens that some doctors just don't measure up to our expectations so the solution is not to return.
You have the same option now.
You can send an objection to the bill based on your complaint. Who knows.....maybe you'll get a discount....stranger things have happened and it will at least get your displeasure expressed to the one that displeased you, instead of here where it'll do little ....correction, where it'll do NO ...good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM
 
Location: NoVa
18,434 posts, read 28,516,023 times
Reputation: 19578
Your answer is no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
12,617 posts, read 10,725,246 times
Reputation: 14851
Quote:
mrgrape said..
I just feel ripped off. The consultation took 7 DARN MINS, she prescribed something that cost $50 and made the condition worse! She could have easily checked more thoroughly and gave me a list of conditions that it could be. But she didnt even check, and just went off my assumption. LIKE WTF.
Repping u for not being a sheep and having a brain...

I agree, bec MDs have made SO many mistakes, they are not Gods.
I refute things like this and even...plumbers that don't fix what they came for, roofers,
carpenters that do a slop job....I pay for services rendered...I get a lot of quality work done and pay the price,
gee, my PT is $120, compared to others at $70...but he is the best!

It is shoddy, quick work I refute....a letter to her could work, try it....ask for a compromise
and express how you felt she didn't do all she could have done and made it worse, besides.
A photo after the visit is good.
Trust me she doesn't care about the $100...she now has a "letter writer" on her hands.
And bec of you she will be a better more thorough doctor to others.

I don't like MDs getting away with not being their best.
And boy, do people get mad at me on Forums for saying this.
They throw pills and ointments at you that don't work and say, "Next".

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-26-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM
 
477 posts, read 1,964,287 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Repping u for not being a sheep and having a brain...

I agree, bec MDs have made SO many mistakes, they are not Gods.
I refute things like this and even...plumbers that don't fix what they came for, roofers,
carpenters that do a slop job....I pay for services rendered...I get a lot of quality work done and pay the price,
gee, my PT is $120, compared to others at $70...but he is the best!

It is shoddy, quick work I refute....a letter to her could work, try it....ask for a compromise
and express how you felt she didn't do all she could have done and made it worse, besides.
A photo after the visit is good.
Trust me she doesn't care about the $100...she now has a "letter writer" on her hands.
And bec of you she will be a better more thorough doctor to others.

I don't like MDs getting away with not being their best.
And boy, do people get mad at me on Forums for saying this.
They throw pills and ointments at you that don't work and say, "Next".
well ive already written bad reviews on yelp.
I will try your letter suggestion however, great idea thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 AM
 
8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
Reputation: 10896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
well ive already written bad reviews on yelp.
I will try your letter suggestion however, great idea thanks!

Don't be surprised if you're 'fired' as a patient. More and more drs are taking a stand and ridding themselves of PITA patients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top