Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:27 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,940,259 times

Advertisements

Ok, after reading all your posts, I think I really need to get him to the Dr and get checked for Sleep apnea. Sometimes it sounds like he stops breathing for a second, and then a snore will kick in and then he breathes again. I wake him up a lot through the night. You would think that would be enough to get him to the Doctor...he wont go. But I am going to tell him about what you all have said here.
He is in perfect shape, as a matter of fact one of those excercise companys approached him to be in their commercial for Nordic Trak or some crap like that. He works out and is a trainer as well. So he is fit, so running wouldnt make a difference. Haha, I might try that though, the walking.

DDR57, what is a C-pap machine? Is the mask attatched to the machine?

Yeah it is amazing they can sleep while making all that noise. Even the dogs say to heck with this and go sleep somewhere else. Lol. I am the one that usually gets up and leaves. The couch and I are good friends.

Thank you guys for all your responses!! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:53 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,583,905 times
You know, this is a very common--and troublesome problem, when one--or both--partners snores or has active legs that kick during the night. Sleep deprivation often occurs. Not a good thing.

I wrote an article last year about a new building/remodeling trend: Snoring Rooms. These are separate alcoves or completely separate master bedrooms so the sleep-deprived partner can sleep.

One marriage counselor/therapist I interviewed had some thoughtful comments concerning this. That seeking separate rooms for sleep wasn't an indication of a troubled relationship or lack of love for one's partner--it was about sleep, pure and simple. In fact, he said it helped cement strong relationships when both partners were getting a good night's sleep. And helped heal troubled relationships made worse by troubled sleep and exhaustion. Sometimes resentment can smolder and build when one's partner snores or kicks keep sleep at bay for his/her bed-mate.

And snoring rooms end the debates over more covers/less covers, window open/window closed, reading in bed and other personal preferences in bed habits.

I think this is a trend whose time has come. Beds are for sleeping--and lovers can come together for love and separate for sleep.

A good idea? Why not. Who decided we needed to sleep in one bed anyhow? Personally, I don't remember this written into the marriage vows--how about you?

Yet many of us somehow feel guilty if we opt for separate sleeping arrangements--but this is changing as tired people seek solutions.

--Good night. Sleep well.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 12-05-2007 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,394,126 times
Hey ya all, I have put up with snoring for yrs and yrs and sometimes when I am very tired I m cranky and do not want to deal with the snoring.....LOL I have made him go the the guest bedroom to sleep on occasion when it's real bad......
But I do luv when I they snore so loud that they wake themselves up!!!! LOL!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,911,906 times
That's really interesting, LittleDolphin.
I have occasionally felt guilty for sneaking off to the guestroom to sleep.
I think of how a widow must *miss* her dear husband's snores.
But sometimes my spouse's snoring is so loud I can hear it even in the guestroom, which is way over on the other side of our house.
I don't think he has sleep apnea,there aren't any little interruptive cycles, but I wonder if PinkString's idea would help a bit. I think we even talked about that before but forgot all about it.
I sometimes snore, too, I'm told.
But my husband can sound like a freight train.
I just can't sleep with that kind of noise.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,394,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You know, this is a very common--and troublesome problem, when one--or both--partners snores or has active legs that kick during the night. Sleep deprivation often occurs. Not a good thing.

I wrote an article last year about a new building/remodeling trend: Snoring Rooms. These are separate alcoves or completely separate master bedrooms so the sleep-deprived partner can sleep.

One marriage counselor/therapist I interviewed had some thoughtful comments concerning this. That seeking separate rooms for sleep wasn't an indication of a troubled relationship or lack of love for one's partner--it was about sleep, pure and simple. In fact, he said it helped cement strong relationships when both partners were getting a good night's sleep. And helped heal troubled relationships made worse by troubled sleep and exhaustion. Sometimes resentment can smolder and build when one's partner snores or kicks keep sleep at bay for his/her bed-mate.

And snoring rooms end the debates over more covers/less covers, window open/window closed, reading in bed and other personal preferences in bed habits.

I think this is a trend whose time has come. Beds are for sleeping--and lovers can come together for love and separate for sleep.

A good idea? Why not. Who decided we needed to sleep in one bed anyhow? Personally, I don't remember this written into the marriage vows--how about you?

Yet many of us somehow feel guilty if we opt for separate sleeping arrangements--but this is changing as tired people seek solutions.

--Good night. Sleep well.
I remember TV show where they had separate beds sometimes separate bedrooms for the rich in the older shows. I have told my hubby he might be in the guest bedroom I am finding that as I get older I cannot run on no sleep and it is affecting me in every way and I explain to him that it's not fair to me because I do not get the proper sleep just because he is snoring.... Then he gives me the sad face and says I don't love him anymore...... what to do...... what to do.......

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,583,905 times
Yes, it's a dilemna, alright.

Maybe show him my previous posting or take thee to a marriage counselor who will likely tell him it's about sleep, not about love...and anyway, if he did love you, wouldn't he want you to sleep well--wouldn't he think about you and your getting your rest?

Or is he being a wee bit selfish?

I know if it were me keeping my mate awake night after night with my snoring, I'd do whatever it took to remove me and my troubling snores from his vicinity--because I do love him and want him to sleep well.

Food for thought??

Maybe a big Teddy bear would work to soothe his feathers??

Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,006,154 times
or learn to put up with it...............Like I did with my wife

Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM

394 posts, read 1,998,127 times
My dh snores so loudly the whole house can hear it, it's a family joke. My teenagers and I were laughing about it just yesterday evening, my hubby was sleeping on the couch around 9:00 p.m. I'm afraid he pretty much sleeps full time on the couch for two reasons, one is the snoring, and the other is our bed messes us his neck. He sleeps with a pillow on the couch arm rest, elevated, which somehow helps his neck. Me, I'd be permanently disfigured if I did that even once!! And the elevation doesn't do a thing for his snoring, he snores no matter where he is. And he refuses to see a doctor, too. We've just learned to live with his snoring.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM

853 posts, read 966,937 times
Snoring can be funny - that is until it gets so bad that you're not able to get a good night's sleep with your hubby... Sleep Apnea, on the other hand is something to really take seriously. Here are a couple links with additional information:

Sleep Apnea-Topic Overview

Sleep Apnea Treatments

There is a lot more information on webmd.com, but these two links are a good place to start~!!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:49 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,857,299 times
I am resurrecting this old thread, cuz I just cant take it anymore!!!!! I have been woken up 3 times this week @ 4am by DH snoring. He works the late shift. I just cannot take it anymore, I wake him up to roll over, he becomes VERY hostile, tells me I snore too, and I just have to learn to deal with it. I have brought up apnea, but he thinks its hogwash.
I am sleep deprived, and going into the guest room is not an option, we dont have one. He is waking DD at the other end of the house, but does not seem to care. Should I record him? Get one opf those things that register decibel levels? He doesnt believe either of us........ suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness