Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 PM

132 posts, read 270,806 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I am a light sleeper. Some of you might still remember my recent post about the train noise problem after moving to a new apt. Thanks to the support and advice from you, now I just feel good about the train noise and can sleep and live with it, although nothing has really changed.

Now I have another problem. The HVAC is right above my kitchen and every time it starts to work, there would be a noise like the fridge, followed by a low frequency humming noise lasts several mins. I didn't even notice it at the first place because I was frustrated with the train noise. It was not until one day my ac vent started to rattling and vibrating because of the ac that it begun to borther me.

The management guy fromHVAC company then came in and placed some kind of padding under the unit and said that it won't be an issue. The noise does become better at least the vent doesn't rattle but I couldn't stop worrying when I sleep or at home every time when the starting noise kicks in, which is almost the level as the fridge, if no less than. I tried white noise machine but it helps little. Should I ask them to come and do more noise control work , or I should overcome my fear first? Thanks very much in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:10 AM

22,636 posts, read 24,513,449 times
Is it the noise that really bothers you, or is the problem the vibration that the
AC unit is emitting???

If it is vibrations, wow, that is a really hard problem to fix or adjust to.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Is it the noise that really bothers you, or is the problem the vibration that the
AC unit is emitting???

If it is vibrations, wow, that is a really hard problem to fix or adjust to.
The vibration causes my vent to be rattling very loudly, that's where the problem starts

Old 12-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Have you tried earplugs????

If you get some good earplugs (Hearos), with a high NRR, and the problems still exists, it is most likely the vibrations that are bothering you.

Good earplugs do great at silencing noise.....unfortunately they will amplify vibrations. Ear-muff will block out noise and vibrations......you can get a nice set with a built-in am-fm radio for around 40-50 bucks. I know the idea of wearing ear-muffs for an extended period is not a practical solution.....but using them to give yourself a brief respite from the irritation would be helpful.

3M TEKK Protection Digital WorkTunes Hearing Protector and AM/FM Stereo Radio with Voice Assist - Walmart.com

Have you attempted to get the vent rattling addressed by management?????

Old 12-25-2014, 05:31 PM

Thanks! I do have ear plugs, but as you said, it does amplify the vibrations!

I talked with the management team, they called the HVAC company, who later installed some kind of padding to subsidize the noise while I was on vacation. It was so frustrated to come back and find out that the rattling is still there. Now every time I heard it I just feel very insecure and worried. I couldn't help comparing the new apt with my old one, which is not perfect yet I was used to every noise it produced.

Btw, my husband sleeps well and nothing bothers him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Have you tried earplugs????

If you get some good earplugs (Hearos), with a high NRR, and the problems still exists, it is most likely the vibrations that are bothering you.

Good earplugs do great at silencing noise.....unfortunately they will amplify vibrations. Ear-muff will block out noise and vibrations......you can get a nice set with a built-in am-fm radio for around 40-50 bucks. I know the idea of wearing ear-muffs for an extended period is not a practical solution.....but using them to give yourself a brief respite from the irritation would be helpful.

3M TEKK Protection Digital WorkTunes Hearing Protector and AM/FM Stereo Radio with Voice Assist - Walmart.com

Have you attempted to get the vent rattling addressed by management?????

Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,496,638 times
How long have you been in this place? Maybe it just takes a bit more time to adjust to the little noises.

Possibly for the loose/rattling vent, if you can find where the looseness is (in the louvers?) maybe try putting a bandaid (or something similar - and easy to remove) where it's hitting. You can remove later, as preferred, or reduce it to little cabinet corner pads (little fiber circles that stick at the corners of some cabinet doors where it 'hits' to reduce noise) when you identify the exact noise locations.

Good luck!!

Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
Thanks! I do have ear plugs, but as you said, it does amplify the vibrations!

I talked with the management team, they called the HVAC company, who later installed some kind of padding to subsidize the noise while I was on vacation. It was so frustrated to come back and find out that the rattling is still there. Now every time I heard it I just feel very insecure and worried. I couldn't help comparing the new apt with my old one, which is not perfect yet I was used to every noise it produced.

Btw, my husband sleeps well and nothing bothers him.

Yeah, noises bother some people and others could not care less. Some noise bothers me......that constant vibration drives me INSANE.

You're in a real pickle......the vibrations are what is bothering you and earplugs will make it worse.

I would get a pair of ear-muffs while working on the problem, they will block noise and most vibrations.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
How long have you been in this place? Maybe it just takes a bit more time to adjust to the little noises.

Possibly for the loose/rattling vent, if you can find where the looseness is (in the louvers?) maybe try putting a bandaid (or something similar - and easy to remove) where it's hitting. You can remove later, as preferred, or reduce it to little cabinet corner pads (little fiber circles that stick at the corners of some cabinet doors where it 'hits' to reduce noise) when you identify the exact noise locations.

Good luck!!
You inspired me! I just put a tap around the bulbs near the vent where I believe the noise comes from and now it is muffled. Only need to wait and see if management has any better idea.

Do you think that the hvac company can have more noise control method to minimize the noise?

Old 12-26-2014, 01:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,496,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
You inspired me! I just put a tap around the bulbs near the vent where I believe the noise comes from and now it is muffled. Only need to wait and see if management has any better idea.

Do you think that the hvac company can have more noise control method to minimize the noise?
Wonderful! It's hard to imagine exactly what you/I are describing without seeing it. I would be careful about putting tape on a bulb - unless you know it won't get hot, etc, I assume. Maybe you put tape around the bulb fitting or trim piece?

If the rattling is coming from a vent - building people can maybe (1) tighten the vent to the wall better, and/or (2) put something like weather-stripping between the vent fitting and the wall. If it is the louvers, and the HVAC being ON is causing the rattle, then try to open the louvers some, so air pressure of air passing through is reduced (less resistance). Or, listen closely near the area and try to identify more rattle possibilities.

Yes, the building / facilities people or HVAC company have an understanding of how things work and how they are put together - so they should have good insights of the possible resolutions. Sometimes there are not resolutions - but if that is the case, they should also be able to explain to you clearly why there may be no resolve.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Wonderful! It's hard to imagine exactly what you/I are describing without seeing it. I would be careful about putting tape on a bulb - unless you know it won't get hot, etc, I assume. Maybe you put tape around the bulb fitting or trim piece?

If the rattling is coming from a vent - building people can maybe (1) tighten the vent to the wall better, and/or (2) put something like weather-stripping between the vent fitting and the wall. If it is the louvers, and the HVAC being ON is causing the rattle, then try to open the louvers some, so air pressure of air passing through is reduced (less resistance). Or, listen closely near the area and try to identify more rattle possibilities.

Yes, the building / facilities people or HVAC company have an understanding of how things work and how they are put together - so they should have good insights of the possible resolutions. Sometimes there are not resolutions - but if that is the case, they should also be able to explain to you clearly why there may be no resolve.
Not the bulb itself, sorry I was not clear. It was the fitting base that holds several bulbs making noise. The mgt guy came in this morning and screwed it tightly so no tap any more
They also adjusted the blanket under the hvac unit a bit so now the noise is kind of minimized. The starting noise of the compressor is pretty loud and nerve racking. They called the company and will be standby on Monday if things get no better.

I guess I should not hope that they would move the hvac away from my kitchen top? Shall I still let them know about the starting noise and the humming noise followed after? I am not sure now what is being normal and how much noise I should bear if living on the top floor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness