Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why would you get a facials? They irritate rosacea.
Not necessarily, many dermatologists now offer treatments by estheticians which can be very beneficial.
I'm seeing a medical esthetician who uses PCA products and it's doing wonders for my rosacea, actually it's the only treatment that's worked for me to keep mine under control and I've tried everything!

You should join the rosacea message board, lots of good information and support there. Google rosacea support group, sorry, I don't recall the web address.

One thing you will find repeated over and over by rosacea sufferers is that what works for one person will not work for another, treating rosacea can be a lot of trial and error until you find something to keep it under control.

In addition to the estheticians treatments, I have found that cleansing my skin and keeping it hydrated with moisturizer and sunscreen prescribed by my esthetician and approved by my MD has done wonders for my skin.

Keep your appointment with the PA, try whatever is prescribed and see if it works for you. Good Luck.

Last edited by VTGal; 03-15-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
I have no problem seeing a PA and in fact have been using one for several years. She spends more time with me than most doctors I have been to. She was also the one that listened to me after a doctor in her office didn't and if it wasn't for her my cancer would not have been detected and treated.

However if I specifically sought after a well respected doctor for a certain issue and called and made an appointment with him/her I would be very upset to receive a call a day or so ahead of time and say that I would be seeing someone else instead of him/her regardless of whether it was another doctor or a PA. It did happen to me once and strangely enough it was also with a dermatologist office). However that is something that most offices will tell the person when MAKING the appointment (like others have said) not the day before or worse yet the day you arrive.

As for Rosacea I have it too. In fact the first time I met with this PA (for something totally different) she looked at me and said "you have rosacea". I had no clue why my face was the way it was I thought I just took after my father. She prescribed Metrogel and it did seem to help. I also threw away all my fancy creams and cleansers and started using Cetaphil exclusively. My face has gotten so much better and I stopped the Metrogel just after a short period. I now also use Bobby Browns Hydrating cream in addition to Cetaphil because my face does have a tendency to be very dry. This cream does not seem to irritate my face at all and gives my skin the extra hydration it needs at times.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
My derm has a daughter who is a phys assist but I specified I wanted my doctor. As it turns out I had a basal cell she treated and also removed some other stuff. (not for rosacea) She saw that basal cell IMMEDIATELY under my eye when she said "hi" she didn't even need to examine me. (I went for a cancer screening before moving to FL and she DID perform the full body screening after she commented on the eye)

When I went back for the follow up I let the daughter do a look see or remove a stitch or something but THE DOCTOR came in after her.

My doctor also told me the best way to protect in the sun (sun screen engineered CLOTHING) because she is outdoorsey, loves FL and the islands, but wont even swim without protection. She gave me names of the clothing company she used and products but was CLEAR that sun screen is only moderately effective. Then she discussed vitamin D.

Her daughter is NICE, but sort of introverted and quiet. I'm pretty sure I got MORE for my money from the doctor than I would have from the daughter in terms of the advice. Because I didn't even THINK to ask about protection even though I was joking "just my luck I get skin cancer when moving to Florida". My derm just took over the conversation out of enthusiasm and professionalism. She even had the secretary look up her BILLING for CLOTHING on the computer from her last round of shopping to give me the companies names she liked and the items she bought.

ROSACEA?

Read this book, I'm not kidding. It addresses every skin type and is 100% on the money.

The Skin Type Solution: Leslie Baumann: 9780553383300: Amazon.com: Books

You take a long survey and based on your responses, you are "assigned" a skin "type".

THEN she tells you what to avoid or do. What your routine should be, which types of products you need or should avoid such as AVOID TONERS. AVOID micro abrasion, exfoliation, etc.

AND she lists products that work, low end or high end.

After doing this book, all I needed for my particular skin type was .....PONDS!!! (or similar). I didn't really have rosacea but I did have a couple of reddish areas but mild.

NO toners permitted, NO foaming cleansers etc etc .

The book addresses Rosacea alot. She tells you what INGREDIENTS are contraindicated, too. Even in SUNSCREENS.

DO IT. IT's the best money you'll spend. THEN see the doctor, too.

The DOCTOR. THEY have the years of experience.

I won't even see a RESIDENT if I have something I need a doctor for LOL.
I'm having trouble following the reasoning here. The medical problem is so simple it can be solved by a questionnaire and a book, but so complex it requires a MD rather than a PA?

Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm having trouble following the reasoning here. The medical problem is so simple it can be solved by a questionnaire and a book, but so complex it requires a MD rather than a PA?
My sister ended up in the hospital due to medication prescribed by a PA for her rosacea.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:45 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
That's not true. More often than not, you make an appointment with the doctor and end up with a PA without warning. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on the doctor and the PA. I've met great PAs who gave better treatment than doctors. I've also met incompetent PAs. It depends. Either way, patients are usually pawned off. It's getting to the point the doctors aren't even in the building. I thought they had to be nearby for the PA to consult, and I was shocked to discover that the PA was running the office alone and the dermatologist wasn't even in town.
A PA can't practice independently in Pennsylvania and must be directly supervised by a physician. This typically means the supervising physician must be in the same building.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
My sister ended up in the hospital due to medication prescribed by a PA for her rosacea.
My wife ended up in the emergency room due to medication prescribed by an supposedly experienced doctor.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times
Quote:
I have rosacea. I wouldn't let someone give me a facial. My face is extremely sensitive to almost anything. I could imagine it swelling up. Be careful falling for gimmicks. Stick with what works. The oral antibiotic is important. The antibiotic and/or steroid creams. There is a laser/light therapy treatment that supposedly works great. I haven't tried that because I've sort of accepted my appearance.

You have to avoid eating and drinking the things that make it worse---like caffeine and alcohol or whatever. Every person's triggers are different and you need to find yours. Stay out of the sun and try to wear hats when driving in the car, etc. I'm not good at this one. The irony is sunscreen is evil and can irritate rosacea.
I heard steroid makes roseacea worse.
Well anyways today i went to see the PA, he was an older guy so I was glad he wasnt some young guy my age. Anyway, he prescribed me doxycycline, finacea, and mirvaso.
Doxycycline comes to be about $770 with insurance for 2 months worse.....holy moly.
Mirvaso I read about on the roseacea forums and well it may make my skin look good for 3-4 hours, the rebound effect makes it much worse...so I doubt I will pay for it.
Finacea comes to be about $180 for 2 months.

I'm still debating if the $770 med is worth it.....

Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Well anyways today i went to see the PA, he was an older guy so I was glad he wasnt some young guy my age. Anyway, he prescribed me doxycycline, finacea, and mirvaso.
Doxycycline comes to be about $770 with insurance for 2 months worse.....holy moly.
Mirvaso I read about on the roseacea forums and well it may make my skin look good for 3-4 hours, the rebound effect makes it much worse...so I doubt I will pay for it.

I'm glad it went well.

Definitely avoid steroids

$770 for Doxycycline????!!!! Wow!
It must be Oracea at that price! How's anyone supposed to afford that?

With my rosacea I usually only try one new thing at a time, so I know what actually worked or didn't work. And I always ask for samples, not sure there are any Mirvaso samples though

I've had good results with Mirvaso, lasting much longer than 3 hrs, everyone is different and not everyone is getting a rebound effect.

Check the websites for Finacea and Mirvaso, a lot of these high priced prescriptions will have a program where you get a discount card from the manufacturer, that you use at the pharmacy to offset the cost.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A PA can't practice independently in Pennsylvania and must be directly supervised by a physician. This typically means the supervising physician must be in the same building.
That's my point! DM me if you want the dermatologist's name so you can avoid her practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post

How is that possible?!?!? This says 50 100 mg pills are $155. Apparently there is an ingredient shortage for some reason. Why isn't your insurance covering it? Do you have to meet a deductible for your prescriptions first?

Doxy is very effective in treating rosacea. Call around to various pharmacies and try to find a better price. If you have to meet a deductible for your prescription, find out what the deductible is. Maybe you'll meet your deductible after filling this once and then you'll only need to pay a copay for refills.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
How is that possible?!?!? This says 50 100 mg pills are $155.
Years ago before I had insurance, I got my prescriptions filled in Canada, is this still possible?
Even $155 for a simple antibiotic is insane! Much better to spend that money on good quality skincare products.

I'd try the cheapest script first and see how it goes, one at a time so you know what really works or doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness