Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:12 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,717,565 times

Advertisements

carageenan is an inflammation inducing substance, used to induce inflammation in lab animals. It should be banned as a food additive.

But I agree, the OP is probably allergic to sesame paste, or maybe just not used to high fiber foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
If your hummus has a host of other ingredients such as:

Guar gum
Carageenan
Preservatives
Etc
Etc

It's not hummus. It's just another possibly toxic-ish processed food. And it might make you sick.
Fixed that for you. Obviously, if it makes everyone sick then they would have no customers.

Quote:
Alternatively the only store I've seen that sells real hummus is Whole Foods. Maybe Trader Joe's would sell the real thing too, but I've never looked there.
Funny, all the supermarkets I shop at carry real hummus, now that it is so trendy. I don't think the OP has a Trader Joe's in Glasgow, Scotland, although they did get a Whole Foods. On the other hand Glasgow has long had Greek and Persian and other Middle Eastern shops and restaurants which sell real hummus, and probably health food stores too, although I haven't been to Scotland in a while to check personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
carageenan is an inflammation inducing substance, used to induce inflammation in lab animals. Some think It should be banned as a food additive.
Fixed that for you. Obviously not everyone agrees with you, because carageenan is sold in many health food stores as "vegan gelatine." It's been made from the red seaweed known as "Irish Moss," and consumed as a food for more than 1,000 years. Some studies have indicated a possible health risk from eating large quantities of it over long periods of time, yes, but others say the risks have been grossly exaggerated, especially when consumed in the tiny quantities used to thicken certain foods.

But if carageenan deserves a cautionary note, guar gum most likely does not. It's a natural food product, derived from a bean that is commonly used in Indian cooking. And indeed research is finding that it may in fact be a valuable nutritional additive that can be useful in treating a variety of medical conditions, such as diabetes and high cholesterol. And it's used in a lot of gluten free products. Bob's Red Mill makes it for home use.

My point being that absolute statements about food components rarely hold up to scrutiny. Rather than stating one's personal beliefs as if they are proven facts, I find there is far more integrity in acknowledging the whole truth of the matter. For example, I find it far more likely that the OP is having a reaction to the sesame seeds than to any of the GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) ingredients that might be used to give a product like hummus stability and protection against developing mold on the refrigerator shelf.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-22-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,760,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
There is also a limited possibility that you may be allergic to one of the ingredients.
^

Yeah, this is what I was thinking as well.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,107,838 times
It's probably not the hummus at all, especially if you haven't eaten it in two weeks. It sounds like "food poisoning" which is some sort of bacteria such as certain strains of e. coli or salmonella, which you could have gotten from any number of foods from chicken to raw veggies.

You might possibly get rid of it by eating Activia yogurt or some other source of beneficial bacteria. Probiotics (wiki it).

Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 AM

3,740 posts, read 4,048,025 times
As a poster above stated, these are the only ingredients in hummus:
Chick peas
Tahini
Olive oil
Garlic
Lemon juice
Salt

Upon reading the ingredients on hummus in some grocery stores, I have noticed canola oil and even hydrogenated oil used instead of olive oil. It could be these ingredients that are making you sick. Or there could be something wrong with the store bought hummus that is making you sick. Chick peas and other types of beans can cause one to have a bowel movement, particularly if they are not used to eating foods like those.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:21 PM

18,439 posts, read 18,561,023 times
Pills from the doctor have cured this thankfully as the pain on going to the loo was quite bad. thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post... Ill do without this stuff though in the future as it was either off or my stomach cant take whats in it...

Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,720,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Pills from the doctor have cured this thankfully as the pain on going to the loo was quite bad. thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post... Ill do without this stuff though in the future as it was either off or my stomach cant take whats in it...
Dizzy, if it was the fiber and you not being used to it, you can go back and build up gradually. Just start out with smaller amounts and don't go crazy. I have fond memories of Glasgow--dumped a lover there this past summer. He he.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
Allergy does not = diarrhea.

Maybe a food intolerance.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,107,838 times
....and maybe it wasn't the hummus.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,538,304 times
Chickpeas can cause gas/bloating/distention & thus bowel probs. But Hummus is healthy -- IF u can take it.

Chickpeas (Garbanzos) have a higher sodium level too vs other beans, so I limit them in bean dishes when I mix about 5-6 types beans in cooker to soften. I then eat them in a porridge-like meal w/ buckwheat, steel cut oats, oat bran, brown rice, quinoa, etc. Adding cocoa powder makes it tasty, along w/ ginger/cinnamon/pumpkin or any other spices to fancy it up

Just my fyi...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness