Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Natural Family Planning will not work if you are not ovulating! Women who ovulate regularly and predictably may be successful with it, but the signs used are based on symptoms associated with ovulation.

Use condoms until you are having regular periods.

The Provera will only make you have a period. It will not cause you to start ovulating.
Suzy, my ObGyn told me that the Provera will cause my body to revert back to it's original cycle...which means I would ovulate. That is what she explained to me. I have ovulated in the past, so I know my body pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Suzy, my ObGyn told me that the Provera will cause my body to revert back to it's original cycle...which means I would ovulate. That is what she explained to me. I have ovulated in the past, so I know my body pretty well.
Provera is an oral form of the same hormone in the Depo Provera injection. It will cause the uterine lining to mature just as it would with natural progesterone. When you stop taking it, the uterine lining will shed, just as it would from natural progesterone in a cycle in which no pregnancy occurs. Provera by itself will not induce ovulation. It also will not prevent pregnancy. If you ovulate after you take it, it is because your system has recovered from the birth control pills, not because of the Provera.

Many women who do not ovulate are given Provera to start a period, then a second drug, usually Clomid, to induce ovulation, if they wish to conceive. If you do not want to get pregnant, I would strongly suggest a barrier method until you start having periods on your own. Methods that depend on periodic abstinence are not reliable unless you are having very regular, spontaneous periods. Obviously, if you are not ovulating you will not get pregnant. The difficulty is that you will be unable to predict when ovulation will happen.

You should be aware that the period with Provera is sometimes heavy.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Provera is an oral form of the same hormone in the Depo Provera injection. It will cause the uterine lining to mature just as it would with natural progesterone. When you stop taking it, the uterine lining will shed, just as it would from natural progesterone in a cycle in which no pregnancy occurs. Provera by itself will not induce ovulation. It also will not prevent pregnancy. If you ovulate after you take it, it is because your system has recovered from the birth control pills, not because of the Provera.

Many women who do not ovulate are given Provera to start a period, then a second drug, usually Clomid, to induce ovulation, if they wish to conceive. If you do not want to get pregnant, I would strongly suggest a barrier method until you start having periods on your own. Methods that depend on periodic abstinence are not reliable unless you are having very regular, spontaneous periods. Obviously, if you are not ovulating you will not get pregnant. The difficulty is that you will be unable to predict when ovulation will happen.

You should be aware that the period with Provera is sometimes heavy.
Thanks Suzy, I don't know if my ObGyn will prescribe me Clomid. My husband & I will still be using condoms, but no more hormonal birth control. I had negative effects with it (weight gain, nausea, etc) I will probably want to track my ovulation naturally once the Provera is over....

I'm only 25, so hopefully everything will resolve itself (ovulation included). My OB said the cause of this was from taking birth control irregularly (off & on)

Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
.....Clomid is a fertility drug. Unless you are TTC of course your ob won't give it to you. I suggest you buy a copy of the book taking charge of your fertility before going any further if you don't understand what Suzy is saying. Otherwise you are going to end up pregnant.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Thanks Suzy, I don't know if my ObGyn will prescribe me Clomid. My husband & I will still be using condoms, but no more hormonal birth control. I had negative effects with it (weight gain, nausea, etc) I will probably want to track my ovulation naturally once the Provera is over....

I'm only 25, so hopefully everything will resolve itself (ovulation included). My OB said the cause of this was from taking birth control irregularly (off & on)

You need to use something else with the condoms if you really dont' want to get pregnant. Condoms are not a reliable form of BC.

Time will allow your body to regulate itself unless you have some sort of hormonal issue....I can't understand why women get on the pill only to haphazardly take it?? It has to be taken every day, at the same time, to be effective.

If only people would actually read the insert that come with their pills we wouldn't have so many oops pregnancies on the pill ie: It doesn't work for me!(said the woman who was on antibiotic and got knocked up) It doesn't work for me! (said the woman who couldn't remember to take her pill at the same time everyday) It doesn't work for me! (said the woman who thought she could skip two days, take three pills and be covered)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness