Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,895,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
The reason threads or discussions about this topic don't make much sense is because they're totally subjective. For example, if someone here says "I looked young until I was 50" that's just their opinion and who knows what it means. Have you ever seen some college athletes? They're totally fit and in shape, but a lot of them look like they're 35 when they're 18. I don't mean they look "old," but they look "grown up." Also, when women talk about "not looking their age," sorry, but that's sort of silly when they dye their hair and use makeup.

The reality is most people look old when they're in their 20s, to a certain extent. People hate to hear that, but it's true. Take any 18-year-old you want and put them next to someone who is 25. Most people will immediately be able to see the difference in the fullness of their faces and the general "glow" of youth.

The thing is people love to talk about how "50 is the new 30" or a lot of other stuff to make everyone feel good about themselves. It's not true. Sure, you can have a very attractive 50-year-old woman, but it's relative to other 50-year-old women. Very few people would objectively compare that 50-year-old woman to a 25-year-old woman and say "wow, the 50-year-old looks more attractive!" This is going to get a lot of women outraged and they'll start yelling about how sexist that is, but it's also unfortunately true. (It's true for men, too, but no guy runs around saying that 50-year-old men are more attractive than 25-year-old men.) [EDIT: As an example, for example people say that Brooke Shields looks fantastic (for her age). Sure. But then go and look at a picture of her from her 20s and you'll immediately go "woah." You can't think about the difference until you're actually confronted with it.]

The real way to answer this question would be to have someone post a picture and say "does this person look old to you?" Now, nobody would ever want to do that, but that's the only real way to answer it in an honest way. I've seen people who look terrible still say that they look young.
Have to say, I really agree with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM

1,317 posts, read 5,256,925 times
55. Blah..lol

Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,567,555 times
About 40 and now at 47, it's game over. I wake up day in severe pain and get fatigued pretty easy. Plenty of gray coming on and I won't have a mustache or goatee anymore because it's solid gray now. The other day my kid snapped a pic of me from a side angle on his Ipod and it shocked and saddened me as the pic greatly exposed my on setting jowls. I didn't realize they were that bad as most of the time I just face directly forward shaving. It's aging and it's going to happen, nothing I can do about it, just roll with it.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,391,368 times
I think I was in my early 50's when I began to feel old. I decided to not color my hair anymore, so it went salt and pepper color. I had an injury to one of my knees, so I walk slower and I think I look and feel old.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 AM

898 posts, read 1,210,434 times
27 was when i first started noticing change in my face. i'd say 34 was the shock year of my life when i started balding just a bit and started seeing crows feet and laugh lines and forehead wrinkles permanently, not only when i frown.

36 was also the age where my body completely broke down. i could no longer run (bad left knee) or lift weights correctly (joint damage on left elbow for some reason). i also started carrying more fat around the belly area (typical) and spare tire location. i was always 145 lbs. at 5'9" until end of age 36 and now at 37 (will be 38 in a few months), i am 160. that 15 pound gain puts more stress on the body and joints. even michael jordan (i hate that guy btw, he is a bigtime jerk as a person) said it best: "i thought i would die before i would lose all my talent." mother nature keeps fooling us men and women every day in our youth by injecting healthy doses of estrogen and testosterone in our bloodstream by the boat load on a daily basis. and then it stops. just like that. we gain a new friend by the name of father time.

the most devastating thing for me was the physical breakdown. i do not care for social status, friends, or anything i can own (i have no property, no car, and very few posessions). i have always put health as #1 and seeing that fade was a huge blow to my mind. i have accepted it now and am preparing to change my habits (work out carefully, eat better instead of living on little debbie snacks ala the 90s, etc.).

this is me at 34: http://youtu.be/lydKCyu0hUY

now, i look a little similar to that guy but it's changing, and changing rapidly. i can still fool people visually that i am "25" or so when i shave but i only care about that for the sake of getting a job because of age discrimination. it's amazing how rapidly you "lose" all of your youth. it happens so quickly that it hits us like a bus. i am going to be getting a hair transplant once i get a good horseshoe balding pattern going. that and botox. i do not like letting myself go physically. i won't accept it if i can help it. funny my nick is hairy guy but i had to trim body hair for that video to show my muscle definition (there ain't much, i know). that is probably the peak of my physical health and looks but like most ppl. here have said, "i've had a good run." no complaints from me. i am just thankful i even made it alive and healthy to this age. no one is promised tomorrow.

Last edited by Hairy Guy; 04-03-2014 at 03:19 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 AM

854 posts, read 1,472,081 times
I think it depends. I started feeling "older" in my late teens, but then again I've had a pretty traumatic life.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times
In terms of age though I started feeling old at about 27. Stopped really thinking about age since it started to be pointless.

Actually looking old maybe around 33 when the twins were going through their terrible 2s and 3s. So much stress. I started seeing my dad's look in me.

Also I play hockey and I couldn't keep up as much as I used to anymore. Playing in an over-30 league really throws the mind too.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
A lot of good comments here. I agree with those who say "attitude is everything."

About 10 years ago in my early 50s I really started to look old - gained a lot of weight, getting more gray, feeling bad and sick. Fast forward to today, I reversed all that (had a little help from hair color, lol) lost weight, work out like crazy and have had people think I am in my 40s (I am 64). Even my two doctors tell me what great shape I am in, have taken such good care of myself and my age is difficult to guess.

Of course I do not physically look like I am 25, but I don't care about that. I feel like I look damn good for my age and I work at it. Plus, I tell myself everyday "I am young, and growing younger." I have energy to spare and am never tired. I eat well, weight train, bike ride and walk, as well as get weekly acupuncture treatments.

So while none of us stays a young hot thing forever, we can be the best we can at any age and feel good about it. Like someone else said "50 is the new 30", and "60 is the new 40." These days people are far more health-conscious than they used to be and it shows.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
About 40 and now at 47, it's game over. I wake up day in severe pain and get fatigued pretty easy. Plenty of gray coming on and I won't have a mustache or goatee anymore because it's solid gray now. The other day my kid snapped a pic of me from a side angle on his Ipod and it shocked and saddened me as the pic greatly exposed my on setting jowls. I didn't realize they were that bad as most of the time I just face directly forward shaving. It's aging and it's going to happen, nothing I can do about it, just roll with it.
I'm 47 and feel great, physically and have plenty of energy if I sleep 7-8 hours per night. But I've worked out regularly (3-4 times per week at the gym) for over 20 years, have done regular cardio for 28 years, never put on weight other than adding a little muscle weight when I originally started weight lifting. I have great blood pressure and cholesterol (never taken any prescription medicine), have had no major illnesses, no body pain or joint pain. I'm very active, don't sit around, and eat healthy (never fast food!). All I take is a multi vitamin, fish oil, and potassium.

I don't know how much of it's genetics, and how much is my lifestyle, but I don't feel old at all. (Based on my mother, I'd say genetics has nothing to do with it and it's all about keeping active/eating healthy) Obviously I've aged and my face doesn't look the same as at age 25, but I'm pretty sure I look younger than my age. Getting a few gray hairs, but that's why they make "Just for Men" lol! My kids are only 6, so I have good reason to stay healthy and be around a long time for them.

The only odd thing I've noticed in recent years is that I don't tolerate much alcohol. Four beers makes me feel bloated, messes up my sleep, and leaves me tired the next day. So I drink very little alcohol. Which is a good thing.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
27 was when i first started noticing change in my face. i'd say 34 was the shock year of my life when i started balding just a bit and started seeing crows feet and laugh lines and forehead wrinkles permanently, not only when i frown.

36 was also the age where my body completely broke down. i could no longer run (bad left knee) or lift weights correctly (joint damage on left elbow for some reason). i also started carrying more fat around the belly area (typical) and spare tire location. i was always 145 lbs. at 5'9" until end of age 36 and now at 37 (will be 38 in a few months), i am 160. that 15 pound gain puts more stress on the body and joints. even michael jordan (i hate that guy btw, he is a bigtime jerk as a person) said it best: "i thought i would die before i would lose all my talent." mother nature keeps fooling us men and women every day in our youth by injecting healthy doses of estrogen and testosterone in our bloodstream by the boat load on a daily basis. and then it stops. just like that. we gain a new friend by the name of father time.

the most devastating thing for me was the physical breakdown. i do not care for social status, friends, or anything i can own (i have no property, no car, and very few posessions). i have always put health as #1 and seeing that fade was a huge blow to my mind. i have accepted it now and am preparing to change my habits (work out carefully, eat better instead of living on little debbie snacks ala the 90s, etc.).

this is me at 34: Bodybuilding Posing - YouTube

now, i look a little similar to that guy but it's changing, and changing rapidly. i can still fool people visually that i am "25" or so when i shave but i only care about that for the sake of getting a job because of age discrimination. it's amazing how rapidly you "lose" all of your youth. it happens so quickly that it hits us like a bus. i am going to be getting a hair transplant once i get a good horseshoe balding pattern going. that and botox. i do not like letting myself go physically. i won't accept it if i can help it. funny my nick is hairy guy but i had to trim body hair for that video to show my muscle definition (there ain't much, i know). that is probably the peak of my physical health and looks but like most ppl. here have said, "i've had a good run." no complaints from me. i am just thankful i even made it alive and healthy to this age. no one is promised tomorrow.
Oh come on! 37 is not old! I'm also 5'9" and weigh between 158 - 160 pounds. That's a perfectly healthy weight for 5'9"! (everything I've read, including military standards, says 162 is the ideal weight for 5'9").

Granted, I've worked out regularly for the past 20 years and have good muscle tone, and muscle burns fat. So having the added muscle helps keep me from having "belly fat". You probably just need to add muscle, not remove overall weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness