Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times

Advertisements

I was in the store just doing some general shopping and this woman was just coughing her head off and Im sure she was spreading hundreds of germs even though she covered her mouth . But I thought of the poor cashier who had to take her money and all the germs that would be on that money . I just wondered how many germs were spread in that store . and after having recurrent pneumonia I hate to get around people coughing their heads off which is how pneumonia is spread and apparently all it takes is one droplet and someone breathing it in to catch the dreaded pneumonia . I just wish sick people would stay home and get well before going out .My husband always says "You were not near her ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
It would be nice if people could stay home and take care of themselves, whether it's for themselves or the people around them. It almost seems like a badge of honor in this country to go to work no matter what's going on, like a contest to see who can drive themselves into the ground the farthest before they give out. Also, there are many people that have very little leeway in the amount of time that they can take off until they are disciplined or even fired. Not an ideal situation all around.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I carry hand sanitizer with me and use it after every store or encounter that looks suspicious. I also don't touch my face when out in public.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,485 times
I'm prone to getting sick very easily so I've become a total germophobe lately, so I agree. However, as much as I would love if no one was out sick, unfortunately often people don't have that luxury - for example they may live alone and need to go out to get groceries and medication, etc.
However I do hate seeing obviously sick people and kids at places where they're clearly just there for fun and not out of any necessity - malls leisurely browsing around, playgrounds, libraries, coffee shops, restaurants, parties, that kind of thing. That really makes my blood boil. I especially love seeing another mom with her kid running around licking everything and her casually mentioning something along the lines of him being up all night with a fever or puking. Yes, really, does happen.

I can give people a pass on necessary places like grocery stores and pharmacies, and work in some cases - if they're there because they honestly believe they would lose their jobs otherwise (sadly there are places like that) and not because they're just overachieving martyrs. I've heard scary stories of managers at restaurants pretty much forcing waiters to come in for their shift by threatening to fire them otherwise when they're sick with the stomach flu! When handling food!! Can't tell you how much that pisses me off, I wish these sort of people lost their jobs and never got one again (the managers, not the sick waiters).

The other thing to remember is just cough in itself isn't necessarily contagious. Cough in some people can last for weeks, way after the illness itself is passed and they're no longer contagious. Me and my son both have reactive airway and that's what we often get - cold for a week, cough for 3 or more. So I try not to freak out too much if I hear cough, especially if it's the deeper wet cough that comes at the end of illness.

The most contagious part is the beginning - especially signs of something like the flu, if the person looks unwell, feverish, glassy eyes - that'll just make me run the other way as fast as I can.
Wash wash wash hands, don't touch your face. I also like having a scarf that I can pull over my nose and mouth if I'm next to someone who's coughing or sneezing. Don't know how much it actually helps but at least it makes me feel a bit protected, lol.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
I read some tips once from a stewardess.

She said to put antibiotic ointment in your nostrils when you are likely to encounter sick people.

During flu season, I put it in my nostrils before I go to the store......when I remember.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I read some tips once from a stewardess.

She said to put antibiotic ointment in your nostrils when you are likely to encounter sick people.

During flu season, I put it in my nostrils before I go to the store......when I remember.
Like Neosporin?
Sounds good in theory, in practice I doubt it would work tho as antibiotics are effective against bacteria, they do nothing against viruses. So it won't protect from viral particles getting in.

I think a better thing to try is to do a saline nasal rinse every day, especially after you've been out in public places. It's more likely to 'wash out' the particles and not let them multiply as quickly. Although I have no idea if that's got any proof to it, just something I've heard.

Making sure you're up on your vitamin D and taking extra in the winter months is important, because lack of it will undermine immunity. I've been able to stave off catching a cold from my son or husband by taking 20,000 UI for a couple of days right away. Before I tried that, I would catch every single cold going around.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Like Neosporin?
Sounds good in theory, in practice I doubt it would work tho as antibiotics are effective against bacteria, they do nothing against viruses. So it won't protect from viral particles getting in.

I think a better thing to try is to do a saline nasal rinse every day, especially after you've been out in public places. It's more likely to 'wash out' the particles and not let them multiply as quickly. Although I have no idea if that's got any proof to it, just something I've heard.

Making sure you're up on your vitamin D and taking extra in the winter months is important, because lack of it will undermine immunity. I've been able to stave off catching a cold from my son or husband by taking 20,000 UI for a couple of days right away. Before I tried that, I would catch every single cold going around.
Yes, like Neosporin.

Maybe the viruses will get stuck in the ointment and die before they can get to where they need to be to make you sick? In other words, I don't know.

I have done like you with the vitamins if I have been around someone who is sick too.

I also mega dose on vitamins when I think I feel a cold coming on.....9 out of 10 times it works.

For me, the first sign is a little tingle in my left nostril.......then I head straight for the vitamin bottles!

I figure if it isn't going to hurt me, can't hurt to try.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,499,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Like Neosporin?

I think if my immune system is strong, then 'bugs' won't be able to 'take a hold'. So if/when I do start feeling a bug (symptoms), I grab Zicam or something similar - and 'invest' in MY immune system (vitamins, pH balance, etc). So, then, I don't have to worry so much about people coughing, etc. (And, I can worry about other things! )

Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,279,455 times
Many years ago, I worked in the Los Angeles airport area visiting the airlines and many other businesses in the area. People from visiting from all over the world spread their colds, flu, and so forth to the employees of these businesses. And I then got whatever they had.

I was constantly sick for my first year working in that area. Then rarely sick again! Then I moved elsewhere and would not get sick when everyone else would get sick from the latest thing going around. Seems I have already had everything there was to catch and was immune!

So I am glad I was exposed to all those "germs"!

Furthermore, if being exposed to germs is such a bad thing, why do so many people work in hospitals? They look QUITE healthy to me!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
What angers me the most are people who have sick leave and refuse to use it when they are sick. Many employers allow sick leave to be converted into vacation time or extra pay. So guess what? Probably over half the clowns my DW works with refuse to use their sick leave and insist on coming to work and giving everyone a cold or worse.

I wish bosses took a more aggressive attitude towards employees like this. They ought to be told "Go home, you are making everyone here sick, I don't care if you wanted to save this and use it like a vacation. Its not why you are given sick leave"

If employees won't use sick leave appropriately, they shouldn't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness