Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All he has to do is keep the rash covered. He will not "contaminate" his office.
My FIL's was covered (under his shirt) and the kids got chickenpox anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Shingles in NOT contagious. Both my husband and I had chicken pox as children. He got shingles at 65. I was putting all sorts of creams on his back for days with my bare hands. Husband and wife are about as close as you can get. No, I did not catch it from him. That was 2 years ago. He went to a doctor and got an injection for it. It cleared up in about a week.
They don't give someone else the shingles, but they can give them chickenpox (if they've never had them), as I said before.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Both my kids got chickenpox immediately after being in contact with their Grandpa who had shingles. We know that's where it came from because the kids were not in school and had not been around anyone who had chickenpox. (This was before the vaccine, so don't anyone start reaming me out about not getting them vaccinated, please.)

I'm planning on getting the vaccine as soon as I can. They recommend it at 60, but I wonder if they will let younger people (50s) have it?
It's approved for age 50 now. I got it as soon as I could since I got shingles at 42. It was in my eye, and that's an experience I NEVER want to go through again!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
The vaccine is approved beginning at age 50, but the issue is getting it paid for. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, for example, has it on their recommended adult vaccine schedule beginning at age 60.

A doctor could prescribe it for someone under age 50, but that would be considered "off label" use.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The vaccine is approved beginning at age 50, but the issue is getting it paid for.
I think I'd pay it myself if it wasn't over $100 or so. It would be worth it.

I've heard of people getting a mild case from the shingles vaccine, but I'm not sure if that's true....lots of people say they got the flu from the flu vaccine and I know that's not probable.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 PM

Off label would be if it was being given for a non-approved use. It's approved for 50 and up.

As far as insurers covering it, that will depend on the insurer. My HMO (Kaiser) provided it for free, the way they do with all vaccines. You'd have to call your insurance company to see what they covered. I think if you get it at Walgreens, etc., it's a couple of hundred dollars. I would have paid that if I had to, as it would have definitely been worth it not to get shingles again!

I didn't get much of a reaction to the vaccine, a bit of a sore arm, but nothing beyond that.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Off label would be if it was being given for a non-approved use. It's approved for 50 and up.

As far as insurers covering it, that will depend on the insurer. My HMO (Kaiser) provided it for free, the way they do with all vaccines. You'd have to call your insurance company to see what they covered. I think if you get it at Walgreens, etc., it's a couple of hundred dollars. I would have paid that if I had to, as it would have definitely been worth it not to get shingles again!

I didn't get much of a reaction to the vaccine, a bit of a sore arm, but nothing beyond that.
If it is approved for age 50 and up, then it is not approved for younger than 50. That is why insurance companies refuse to pay for it; they consider it "off label" due to age, not "off label" based on the indication for its use.

I do not know how they get away with not covering 50 to 60 year-olds. It may take consumer complaints to get that changed.

It is still expensive, $200-$250 at retail without insurance. Those who are uninsured may qualify for assistance from Merck to get the vaccine:

Merck Vaccine Patient Assistance

Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
If it is approved for age 50 and up, then it is not approved for younger than 50. That is why insurance companies refuse to pay for it; they consider it "off label" due to age, not "off label" based on the indication for its use.

I do not know how they get away with not covering 50 to 60 year-olds. It may take consumer complaints to get that changed.

It is still expensive, $200-$250 at retail without insurance. Those who are uninsured may qualify for assistance from Merck to get the vaccine:

Merck Vaccine Patient Assistance

Sorry, I had read your post as over 50!

In any case, Luvvarkansas hope it's covered by your insurance!

Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I think I'd pay it myself if it wasn't over $100 or so. It would be worth it.

I've heard of people getting a mild case from the shingles vaccine, but I'm not sure if that's true....lots of people say they got the flu from the flu vaccine and I know that's not probable.

???? Not probable?? I beg to differ. I'm sure lots of people KNOW it is indeed probable.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
???? Not probable?? I beg to differ. I'm sure lots of people KNOW it is indeed probable.
Nope. The injectable vaccine is killed virus. It cannot give you influenza. It might make your arm sore. You might have a few muscle aches and a bit of a rise in body temperature due to the immune system revving up, but that is not influenza.

The nasal spray vaccine contains live virus, but it has been altered so that it dies when it gets in the lungs. The immune system recognizes it in the nose and starts doing its thing. You may feel a little warm and have a few muscle aches as it does that, but you do not have influenza.

If you develop full blown influenza within two weeks after taking he vaccine, that is because the vaccine did not have time to work. You did not get it from the vaccine. Other possibilities are that you catch a strain of the flu not covered by the vaccine or that the vaccine just never "took" for you.

You cannot get the flu from the vaccine itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness