Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Of recent, my moms shoulders are under immense pain. She is 48 and having difficulty carrying grocery bags and basically needs help carrying such stuff. She has tried several kinds of creams and patches for relief, but the pain keeps returning. She has gone to the doctor, and all the doctor said was, take rest. That response does not help us a whole lot, especially with the hurried pace of life in NJ trying to make ends meet. We explained this situation to our doctor and are looking for a more specific reply which can help us accommodate sustained recovery into our lifestyle. This is turning into a big problem now. I want to know how this shoulder issue can be remedied. Some advice will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Which parts of the shoulder are causing her pain and how long has she been in pain? Depending upon the answers she may need x-rays/ct/mri if the issue has been ongoing for a while.

Steroid shots may help, but her Doc needs to rule out basic shoulder strain versus arthritis, etc.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Which parts of the shoulder are causing her pain and how long has she been in pain? Depending upon the answers she may need x-rays/ct/mri if the issue has been ongoing for a while.

Steroid shots may help, but her Doc needs to rule out basic shoulder strain versus arthritis, etc.
Shoulder blades, near the joints with arms. Doc believes its shoulder strain.

It has been happening on and off ever since winter began this year.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
The conservative route would be to alternate ice & heat packs along with gentle stretching; if her Doc is willing to send her to physical therapy (with basic x-rays) can help.

If the therapist does not notice progress in the level of pain then the recommendation for ct or mri can be taken back to the Doc for further evaluation. Your Mom is at the age when repetitive motion issues may begin to present themselves and arthritis can rear it's ugly head.

At any rate the ice & heat should relieve the pain while she and her Doc discuss PT options.

I hope that she finds relief for her pain (I have arthritis in both shoulders and know that it can range from nagging to excruciating).

Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I was at the arthritis doctor yesterday for similar pain in shoulders, vertebrae, hands/fingers, lower back. He did blood tests and x-rays 2 months ago and this was the follow up appt. Diagnosis degenerative arthritis. He gave me some cortisone shots. Seem to help so far.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
If her insurance will cover it, some physical therapy might help. I had a boss who was about the same age with the same problem, and she said the physical therapy seemed to do a lot.

Another thing is that your mom should make sure she's wearing a properly supportive bra, a bad bra can really contribute to shoulder pain.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Suggest seeing an orthopedist. These docs usually specialize, i.e. foot, hand, shoulder, etc.

This site from The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons has info on shoulder problems.
Common Shoulder Injuries-OrthoInfo - AAOS

The cure could be as simple as an injection. My hubby suddenly had severe shoulder pain & one shot of cortizone cured him completely.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I go along with seeing an orthopedist. I had excruciating pain in my shoulder and upper back for about three months before I finally consulted one. The diagnosis was tendonosis. After one cortisone injection and a little physical therapy, it was fine and has been ever since. That was a few years ago. I only wish the cortisone would do as much for my bad hip, but it doesn't seem to work there nearly as well.

If money or insurance is an issue, you could probably find some shoulder physical therapy exercises on You Tube. After paying for my physical therapy, I found the same stuff online for free. Depending on what's wrong with your Mom, though, that might be dangerous. Just a thought.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
she could also have an injury, like a tear, and where the pain appears isn't necessarily where the injury is. I had a torn rotator cuff and the pain manifested in a few different areas.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Shoulder blades, near the joints with arms. Doc believes its shoulder strain.

It has been happening on and off ever since winter began this year.
I have that in one shoulder and my doctor simply said it is tendonitis/tendinitis and it did go away for a while. But now it has returned again so I assume it is simply hadn't healed enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness