U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM

48 posts, read 81,428 times

Advertisements

I've been taking Omeprazole 20 mg OTC (same as Prilosec) for about 2 months now to control my gastric reflux disease.

I noticed I have nightmares and vivid dreams when I take it at night before going to sleep! At first, I thought it was just coincidence but I've been keeping a detailed log of what nights I take the med and which nights I don't --- and the nights I don't take it I never have dreams, and the nights I do take it I have some fairly disturbing dreams --- like where I am doing things to family members I'm not proud of and even committing murder and other foul acts.

I did some research on it and some people do report having dreams when taking this GERD medication, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of medical literature that mentions dreams as a side effect.

Anyone out there having dreams with Prilosec OTC or generic equivalent?

I feel like asking for a refund at Sam's Club where I bought it, or maybe even filing a lawsuit against Sam's Club for punitive damages from my mental suffering.

Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,064,799 times
Read ALL Over the Counter medicine labels!

OTC drugs can have bad interactions with other drugs. Also tell your doctor about ALL drugs (alcohol/illegal) you are taking INCLUDING OTC drugs.

So with that said, what else are you taking [prescription and OTC]?

Do you use any illegal drugs?

Do you drink alcohol?

Are you allergic to any medications?

Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So with that said, what else are you taking [prescription and OTC]?

Do you use any illegal drugs?

Do you drink alcohol?

Are you allergic to any medications?
I'm not taking any other meds except for a daily multi-vitamin and maybe an occasional Excedrin for headaches. I do not take illegal narcotics.

For the past week, I have been using OTC clotrimazole 1% cream for a ringworm infection on my neck.

I do drink beer once in awhile as I lie in bed watching some YouTube videos and trying to fall asleep. Maybe the alcohol is aggravating the Omeprazole to induce the bad dreams?

I wish there was a certified doctor who could answer this question .... I really need help to stop these horrible dreams where I do bad things!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM

841 posts, read 2,454,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsy994 View Post
I'm not taking any other meds except for a daily multi-vitamin and maybe an occasional Excedrin for headaches. I do not take illegal narcotics.

For the past week, I have been using OTC clotrimazole 1% cream for a ringworm infection on my neck.

I do drink beer once in awhile as I lie in bed watching some YouTube videos and trying to fall asleep. Maybe the alcohol is aggravating the Omeprazole to induce the bad dreams?

I wish there was a certified doctor who could answer this question .... I really need help to stop these horrible dreams where I do bad things!

You don't say what time of day you take your omeprazole. I take mine in the am that may help.

Additionally drinking beer which has carbonation AND alcohol AND ingesting it while lying down and right before sleep is probably aggravating your GERD symptoms. I wouldn't do it.

Sam's Club may issue you a refund for your purchase, but they are not going to address your concern about side effects. That's a manufacturer issue. Punative damages for mental issues...you'd be wasting your time.

What you can do is manage your lifestyle and diet choices and try a different med. GERD can be painful and difficult to manage. I hope you find relief soon. Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
You don't say what time of day you take your omeprazole. I take mine in the am that may help.

Additionally drinking beer which has carbonation AND alcohol AND ingesting it while lying down and right before sleep is probably aggravating your GERD symptoms. I wouldn't do it.

Why are you making stuff up? I never said my GERD symptoms were getting worse because I drink booze at night or lying down. My GERD is VERY well controlled with the Omeprazole and that's why I take it every night. It's just the damn dreams that are freakin' me out.

Quote:
Sam's Club may issue you a refund for your purchase, but they are not going to address your concern about side effects. That's a manufacturer issue. Punative damages for mental issues...you'd be wasting your time.

What you can do is manage your lifestyle and diet choices and try a different med. GERD can be painful and difficult to manage. I hope you find relief soon. Good Luck!

Sam's Club could very well be liable since they are choosing to stock a drug that has potentially serious side effects. My lawyer could have a field day with them and probably get me at least $500,000 in a settlement. That makes me happy, happy, happy!

Please try to avoid acting like a doctor when you are not one. I simply want to know if anyone else is having bad dreams as a side effect of taking Omeprazole 20mg so I can initiate legal action if necessary.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM

4,762 posts, read 10,064,799 times
Drugs are extensively tested and side effects noted. Was anything about dreams mentioned on the package?
Was there a product information insert in the package? Did that mention dreams?

Note that for doctors there is a LONG drug fact sheet which will include all known side effects.

I searched google.com for the following words...
omeprazole PDR
(PDR is an abbreviation for Physician's Desk Reference - has ALL the information on each drug.)

And found this...

Prilosec (Omeprazole) Drug Information: Side Effects and Drug Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList
["Nervous System/Psychiatric: Psychiatric and sleep disturbances including depression, agitation, aggression, hallucinations, confusion, insomnia, nervousness, apathy, somnolence, anxiety, and dream abnormalities; tremors, paresthesia;"]

omeprazole vivid dreams

And found this...
Vivid dreams as side effect for Omeprazole or Trazodone - Reviews

Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Prilosec (Omeprazole) Drug Information: Side Effects and Drug Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList
["Nervous System/Psychiatric: Psychiatric and sleep disturbances including depression, agitation, aggression, hallucinations, confusion, insomnia, nervousness, apathy, somnolence, anxiety, and dream abnormalities; tremors, paresthesia;"]

omeprazole vivid dreams

And found this...
Vivid dreams as side effect for Omeprazole or Trazodone - Reviews

Hmm --- it appears Omeprazole DOES induce bad dreams!

I'm calling my lawyer tonight about this.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM

8,613 posts, read 7,708,806 times
try cutting out carbs, you may find you won't need meds anymore. JMHO BTW.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM

841 posts, read 2,454,612 times
Quote:

Then why are you posting, call him already! I wish you the best and hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,311,521 times
Quote:

I wonder if the lawyer can really fix your problem -- and it seems that if a warning is there and someone chooses to ignore it, SAM's isn't liable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness