Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 PM

750 posts, read 1,444,221 times

Advertisements

Yes I do have arthritis and it sucks. The doctors told me I would get it and it sucks. I am handicapped and had other issues learning to walk. Thus I paid it no mind would not happen to me. I mean only old people get arthritis right? Well the doctors were right on. I live up North the winters are killing me. As I get older I will have to be somewhere warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,283,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Pikantari, yeah I probably would have gotten osteoarthritis eventually, as I did a lot of work with my legs. Too bad about it being so soon though. My doc sad pain meds are the only option at this point. I've tried physical therapy but it didn't make a difference. Even the therapist was amazed at how little mobility my foot had. Once I put full weight on my left foot I get a sharp pain from my ankle. So whenever I try to stretch my left leg or try to walk normally the pain comes back.

CCc girl, I'll look into the alfalfa, thanks.
They have not tried anything like an NSAID? Celebrex?

When you say pain medication, what do you mean?

When I think of pain medication, I think of things like Oxycontin, Vicodin, etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,135,919 times
Quote:
I'm in my 20's and have had ankle fusions in both my feet. One foot has developed arthritis. It has become stiff, painful, and has popping noises constantly. I can no longer run and my balance is horrible. Before the surgery I loved to run and exercise but my feet always act up whenever I use them now.

I don't hear too many experiences about people under 40 with arthritis and it really depresses me. I feel like I'm going to miss out on some of the best years of my life considering jogging, hiking, and exercise were my number 1 hobbies. And I can't really play sports with my friends anymore. I'd like to hear more from other people with this arthritis.
What type of arthritis do you have? rheumatoid or another kind? If you have rheumatoid, it's important to have a rheumatologist who can prescribe medications to stop or slow the progress of RA (very important). I've had RA since age 12; I'm 62 now and have had both feet and ankles stabelized with pins, plates, screws. Yes, you will have limitations but look for activities and sports you can do or learn to do--swimming is excellent. Downhill skiing might be good for you because the ski boots lock your feet and ankles in. Good, well-fitting hiking boots (not shoes) should allow moderate hiking (I had to spend $250. on Asolo boots from REI). Walk as much as you can--level, non-bumpy ground is best. It can be depressing to give up some activites but as my foot surgeon told me "Be glad you can walk". I understand.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:26 PM

589 posts, read 693,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Yes I do have arthritis and it sucks. The doctors told me I would get it and it sucks. I am handicapped and had other issues learning to walk. Thus I paid it no mind would not happen to me. I mean only old people get arthritis right? Well the doctors were right on. I live up North the winters are killing me. As I get older I will have to be somewhere warmer.
I know what you mean. I didn't fully grasp it either until it happened. Ah, the naivety of youth! But I can't imagine what it must feel like having it up north.

Pikantari, no they haven't tried anything you mentioned. Once I said I didn't want any pain medicine my doctor didn't mention anything else. If I wanted meds my doctor will most likely give me oxycontin like I had when I was recovering from the surgery. I absolutely hated the fact that I would end up going to sleep whenever I took it though so I wouldn't want to take it regularly.

Townandcountrygal, thanks for the suggestions. It's been a long times since I swam and I'll consider getting back into it. I'll also see about the hiking boots. I have custom-made insoles but I use them in regular shoes. I never invested in hiking shoes when I hike.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,283,028 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. I didn't fully grasp it either until it happened. Ah, the naivety of youth! But I can't imagine what it must feel like having it up north.

Pikantari, no they haven't tried anything you mentioned. Once I said I didn't want any pain medicine my doctor didn't mention anything else. If I wanted meds my doctor will most likely give me oxycontin like I had when I was recovering from the surgery. I absolutely hated the fact that I would end up going to sleep whenever I took it though so I wouldn't want to take it regularly.

Townandcountrygal, thanks for the suggestions. It's been a long times since I swam and I'll consider getting back into it. I'll also see about the hiking boots. I have custom-made insoles but I use them in regular shoes. I never invested in hiking shoes when I hike.
I would think you would be rx something, maybe an NSAID. What is your actual diagnosis? There are different kinds of arthritis.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:33 PM

589 posts, read 693,730 times
Pikantari, no nothing else was given. And it's osteoarthritis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness