Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,757,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Rubbing alcohol also strips the body's natural bacteria that it produces for the express purpose of fighting off bacteria that the body needs to fight off.
Except that people in countries where washing is not done do not lead healthier lives than those where they wash frequently. Arguing against frequent washing is like arguing against climate change--the body of worldwide evidence and the history of mankind does not support it.

It's paradoxical that I can go all over the Far East and find everyone fully in agreement with keeping clean, and people wash readily whenever they have clean water available, but come to the west and there are a all kinds of rationales for walking around funky.

Now, you can argue against the effects of chemicals and harsh substances--fine. But the human body does not produce bacteria. If you don't wash, the bacteria that grows on your skin will eventually make you ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,522,990 times
Is there a link where you are getting your information? I'd like to read the article and see what type of argument they make against daily bathing.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except that people in countries where washing is not done do not lead healthier lives than those where they wash frequently. Arguing against frequent washing is like arguing against climate change--the body of worldwide evidence and the history of mankind does not support it.

It's paradoxical that I can go all over the Far East and find everyone fully in agreement with keeping clean, and people wash readily whenever they have clean water available, but come to the west and there are a all kinds of rationales for walking around funky.

Now, you can argue against the effects of chemicals and harsh substances--fine. But the human body does not produce bacteria. If you don't wash, the bacteria that grows on your skin will eventually make you ill.
Your body has bacteria in it, and on it, all the time. It is one of your body's methods of being healthy. Your body is also a petri dish for bacteria that can harm you - and your body's natural bacteria exists to fight that off. If you wash *too* much, or use rubbing alcohol or anti-bacterial soaps all the time, then you risk killing off the natural flora that exists to fight off the bacteria that your body is exposed to, that can harm you. That's why it's not a good idea to wipe your pits with rubbing alcohol, or slather yourself with anti-bacterial gel and soaps obsessively.

And the post you responded to, has nothing to do with your opinion about people who was or don't wash in other countries.

The post that you quoted was in response to someone who uses rubbing alcohol to wipe his pits. I'm saying that using rubbing alcohol to wipe your pits is a bad idea.

I also believe that showering and washing your body is important - it's just good general hygiene. But unless you get dirty, or sweat a lot, or stink, you don't need to wash your body every single day. Your body will not cease to function efficiently if you skip a day or two between showers.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,760,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Is there a link where you are getting your information? I'd like to read the article and see what type of argument they make against daily bathing.
I don't think anyone is arguing *against* showering daily. I think the argument is that showering daily isn't *necessary.* You CAN shower daily. But if you don't, it's okay.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,727,738 times
Quote:

Since when was health concerns ever due to not washing your skin? Obviously people are still going to clean their smelly parts, such as, pits, feet and groin.

Prince Harry of Britain has admitted to not washing his hair for 2 entire years. He now prefers dry shampoo.

I've certainly never heard of people dropping off in droves due to not showering.

The plague was inevitable as well, people throwing their chamber pots out their second floor windows into the streets and people walking about it, had nothing to do with bathing.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Showering less actually allows your skin to become more defensive against infection.

When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More : NPR

How Often Should You Shower? | Med-Health.net

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fa...pagewanted=all

There are more if you just google it.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,757,172 times
From one of those links:

Quote:

Bathing on a regular basis is very important for several reasons. It can help
prevent disease and will also promote good hygiene. The important thing to keep
in mind, however, is that how often you should bathe depends on many different
factors.
  • Experts tend to agree that most people should avoid showering too frequently
    and in fact, if they reduce the frequency it can be an incredibly healthy
    decision for their skin. The exceptions to this rule are people who commute in
    the subway or other crowded spaces, go to the gym daily or are in contact with
    potentially sick people (such as those coughing, sneezing or sniffling during
    the flu season).
  • In most cases you only need to shower twice out of each three days and some
    people can do so just every other day. When you avoid showering daily, your skin
    is better able to maintain its balance, making it radiant and healthy. The
    important thing is to remember to use a wash cloth on any specific areas that
    need daily attention for hygienic or smell-related reasons. If you feel the need
    to wash your hair every day, there is no problem with this.
  • You should shower more often depending on a few factors such as if you use
    public places that are filled with bacteria (like the subway or buses), have a
    job that is physically demanding or exercise regularly.
Looks like it's a toss-up between showering frequently or exercising frequently. Which is more likely to lead to a longer, healthier life? Not exercising so you don't have to shower, or showering daily and exercising daily?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,338,479 times
It's very difficult to go against what you have been doing for years, whether it's a change in diet or something else like being used to showering every day. Even when science tells you it's to your benefit not to do certain things, old habits are difficult to change. I suggest you just give it a try once or alternately twice a week to start with. On the day when you don't shower, you can do a quick wipe-down on selected areas with a hand towel. Your skin will benefit from it over time, and no one will know or notice any difference. That's just something advertisers want you to believe. Here's a quote from the Times article that MJ7 posted above.

Of late, researchers have discovered that just as the gut contains good bacteria that help it run more efficiently, so does our skin brim with beneficial germs that we might not want to wash down the drain. “Good bacteria are educating your own skin cells to make your own antibiotics,” said Dr. Richard Gallo, chief of the dermatology division at the University of California, San Diego, and “they produce their own antibiotics that kills off bad bacteria.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fa...anted=all&_r=0

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,338,479 times
Quote:
From one of those links:

Looks like it's a toss-up between showering frequently or exercising frequently. Which is more likely to lead to a longer, healthier life? Not exercising so you don't have to shower, or showering daily and exercising daily?
I don't think it's a toss up Ralph. I go to the gym and I don't shower on the few days that I don't go there. I do an alternate hand towel wipe down.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It's very difficult to go against what you have been doing for years, whether it's a change in diet or something else like being used to showering every day. Even when science tells you it's to your benefit not to do certain things, old habits are difficult to change. I suggest you just give it a try once or alternately twice a week to start with. On the day when you don't shower, you can do a quick wipe-down on selected areas with a hand towel. Your skin will benefit from it over time, and no one will know or notice any difference. That's just something advertisers want you to believe. Here's a quote from the Times article that MJ7 posted above.

Of late, researchers have discovered that just as the gut contains good bacteria that help it run more efficiently, so does our skin brim with beneficial germs that we might not want to wash down the drain. “Good bacteria are educating your own skin cells to make your own antibiotics,” said Dr. Richard Gallo, chief of the dermatology division at the University of California, San Diego, and “they produce their own antibiotics that kills off bad bacteria.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fa...anted=all&_r=0
Absolutely, and many in the cosmetic industry would rather not want people to know.

I find it absolutely absurd that people think it is a necessary thing to life. It isn't and it hasn't been for the vast majority of human existence.

It just goes to show how unnatural business really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness