Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times

Advertisements

Weight lifting is safe if you start out with less pounds. This summer I worked in the garden, and I was carrying out 40 gallon bags of weeds 500 feet to the street. Even garbage filled ones. I have no idea how many pounds they weighted, some more than others. That was when I decided to see if I could do more than 2 boy's pushups than in the past, and I did 10 easily. Now that I am not in the yard I am using 2 lb. weights, and I should be doing pushups. I am wondering if you are absorbing the calcium, d, and K? If maybe you need a different brand? At the health food store they have a product that dentists use to build bones in teeth. I can't think of the name, but it comes in Bone-Up and other products. I am using something else at the moment, something a nutritionist gave me, but here is an article on Bone-Up. Seems like B12 also causes bone loss, which is a new one for me:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0421235233.htm

This is the ingredient that is in the product Bone-Up: Utilizes hydroxyapatite calcium (MCHA), the same form found in the human body.

You can get this in other products as well. My nutritionist gave me something called Bone Liquid. I seldom use it and should. I have no idea if it works and probably will never know unless I do another bone scan. This product is made by Mountain States Healt Products. It looks like it is homeopathic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,828 times
when i say the studies are flawed i mean that they are frequently funded by the pharmaceutical companies (are biased studies) but i also heard that when it comes to your "number" (however they measure your bone density) that you are really being compared against 18 year old women.
all you have to do is a bit of research on the internet and find alot of negative info. after you've read BOTH the positive info and the negative info regarding a drug then you are free to take the drug or not. i just think it's smart to do your own research instead of automatically doing whatever the dr says (the dr is also frequently benefits in some way for each script he writes).

Old 12-16-2007, 09:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
when i say the studies are flawed i mean that they are frequently funded by the pharmaceutical companies (are biased studies) but i also heard that when it comes to your "number" (however they measure your bone density) that you are really being compared against 18 year old women.
all you have to do is a bit of research on the internet and find alot of negative info. after you've read BOTH the positive info and the negative info regarding a drug then you are free to take the drug or not. i just think it's smart to do your own research instead of automatically doing whatever the dr says (the dr is also frequently benefits in some way for each script he writes).
I totally agree with you. In the past I had blindly followed the advice of Drs. and nurses and twice it nearly cost me my life. Tomorrow morning I'm undergoing surgery and had I blindly relied on one Drs. opinion, I would once again be waiting and be hauled to the hospital in an ambulance and have emergency surgery. It's happened twice before. We do need to take responsibility for our own medical care. There are so many side effects to drugs and I have a very hard time with meds. If I don't break out from them, I have stomach problems and end up hurling. (Forgive my bluntness)

Jessaka, when you say you have 40% bone loss, what would that be in dexa scan numbers? It sounds like you also like the homeopathic route. I have a cousin who swears by it and my parents had a few friends who did, too. One of them just passed away recently and he was 93. I have no idea whether they were helping him or if he was just granted a long life.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
I don't know what 40 percent is and don't have my test in front of me. I used to own it but looks like I gave it to some doctor.

I don't take the homeopathic remedy like I was told, and I should. Just hard to take something that you don't know for sure if it works, plus I just keep forgetting.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM

76 posts, read 265,285 times
Default many pathways

there are many pathways to bone loss... the problem with the current medical model is that they start treating once you hit a critical level!
if you do not account for the multitude of pathways that could lead to osteoporosis... then it progresses.
have you tried calcium.. but use.. micro crystilyne hydroxyapetite? i am sure i spelled that wrong.. but its the only calcium that i know of that was proven to reverse bone loss.
what i prefer to do is to do what we call metabolic testing.. or bio terrain testing to see where the imbalances are, and then you can start to correct the dysfunction...
bone loss is not the problem, but is the result of the imbalance... i believe it is better to treat both the "root" and the "branch" in this case, for the best results.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,851 times
Naturally you should be on a good Cal-Mag supplement but Boron is also beneficial for bone density. Most people take 1-3 mg per day. There are really no side effects at that dosage level.

Don't stop going to the doctor but don't be afraid to try some supplements. My theory is that drugs are often more effective but have more side effects, some of them severe. Supplements are generally less effective but have much less side effects too. Start with the supplements and see if they are enough for you.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrick View Post
there are many pathways to bone loss... the problem with the current medical model is that they start treating once you hit a critical level!
if you do not account for the multitude of pathways that could lead to osteoporosis... then it progresses.
have you tried calcium.. but use.. micro crystilyne hydroxyapetite? i am sure i spelled that wrong.. but its the only calcium that i know of that was proven to reverse bone loss.
what i prefer to do is to do what we call metabolic testing.. or bio terrain testing to see where the imbalances are, and then you can start to correct the dysfunction...
bone loss is not the problem, but is the result of the imbalance... i believe it is better to treat both the "root" and the "branch" in this case, for the best results.
can you get the correct spelling? thanks.....

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM

76 posts, read 265,285 times
Miborn...the correct spelling is: microcrystalline hydroxyapatite
Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Thank you.........

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 01-14-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
My concern with that is where do they get the bone from?
(microcrystalline hydroxyapatite is derived from whole bone.) Is from Human or animal?

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-14-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness