U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,426,829 times

Advertisements

I have osteoporosis and recently had another dexa scan. My numbers have gotten worse and I'd like to know what others have taken for meds. At one time, they had put me on Fosomax and I got violently ill each Sat. that I took it. The last time we sat up all night Sat. night because I was so sick. We nearly called poison control. I'm not extremely concerned about my hip since it's at a -1.8, but my spine is now a -2.8.

I had taken myacalin for a while and now wish I'd have given that a longer try. At the time there were several articles out claiming that it did absolutely nothing for anyone. Do any of you have osteoporosis and if so, how do you treat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 PM

60 posts, read 321,493 times
My husband (yes, you don't hear too much about men with osteoporosis) just had his bone density scan today. His numbers are worse than yours (Jammie) due to being on seizure meds since childhood (over 40 years ago) and a short time on high dosage of prednisone. He takes Fosamax (70 mg) once a week, and the Miacalcin spray each day. Also takes 1800 mg calcium (with vitamin D) daily. He has lost two inches in height since having compression fractures of 3 T-vertebrae a few years ago. But thankfully, this bone density scan shows a slight improvement in his numbers. He's been on these medicines for about 5 years now. I do think that when he first tried Fosamax years ago, it did make him queasy, but tried it again some time later with better results. It might be worth talking to your doctor about giving Fosamax another try, or perhaps the ones that you only take once a month?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Thank you for your reply. I guess you made me feel a bit better just to know that someone else's numbers are high, too. What was his number when he first started on the meds and how much has it improved?

You're right~it isn't that common for men to have it, but I understand that some do.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,862 times
i would stay away from the meds. they tend to be very dangerous. the studies on these meds are flawed also.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,380,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I have osteoporosis and recently had another dexa scan. My numbers have gotten worse and I'd like to know what others have taken for meds. At one time, they had put me on Fosomax and I got violently ill each Sat. that I took it. The last time we sat up all night Sat. night because I was so sick. We nearly called poison control. I'm not extremely concerned about my hip since it's at a -1.8, but my spine is now a -2.8.

I had taken myacalin for a while and now wish I'd have given that a longer try. At the time there were several articles out claiming that it did absolutely nothing for anyone. Do any of you have osteoporosis and if so, how do you treat it?

Jammie, I agree with nicolepsy. I tried both Fosomax and Boniva. I had a reaction to both.

I haven't been able to get my numbers from the scan I had a couple of years ago. I just got a call from my primary physician at the time (actually from a nurse at the office) with instructions to get on Fosomax right away. Later the doctor said to just stop taking it and get more exercise. Also, I've been told to take the Calcium + D.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
I alsohave osteo..They say my bones are like an 85 year oldI am the same height I have always been, have good posture and have not broken any bones..I recently fell off a ladder.. Then fell ,and rolled all the way down a hill that I was weedeating..I take actonel once a week, because Boniva gave me severe heartburn..I an supposed to be taking 1000mg calcium+, but I keep forgetting to take anything..I just hate to start loading my body down with prescriptions and supplements..

Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,540,476 times
http://www.fosamax-injury.com/html/side-effects.html (broken link)

I have 40 percent bone loss. I was asked to take fosamax and refused. My bones are not continuing to deteriate. I have lost only 1 inch in height. I talked to a nutritionist about it, and she said that dentists are refusing to treat people that have taken fosamax. Read above article.

I won't be going for any more bone scans, but what I do is weight lift, use a stepper, take walks, get plenty of calcium with bone builder, get vitamin D and Vitamin K to go alone with the vitamiin D. I have fallen but didn't break anything. I am just more careful now.

If you take Vitamin D you also need to take Vitamin K1 and K2 with it, D alone will weaken the blood vessels, with Ks they strengthen.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 AM

436 posts, read 575,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i would stay away from the meds. they tend to be very dangerous. the studies on these meds are flawed also.
That is a rather general statement. There are a lot of drugs which help a lot of conditions, including osteoporosis; and not all studies are flawed.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM

436 posts, read 575,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

So what have you done since the Fosomax? You stated that you are extremely concerned, but said nothing about re-visiting the physician's office. There are alternatives to Fosomax, but you need to be re-evaluated, by a physician.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
So what have you done since the Fosomax? You stated that you are extremely concerned, but said nothing about re-visiting the physician's office. There are alternatives to Fosomax, but you need to be re-evaluated, by a physician.
Thank you to everyone who shared what they're doing with theirs.

Well, it was 2004 when I had my first Dexa and learned that I had a problem. I had taken the Fosomax for about two months, getting sicker each weekend. Then after my night of nearly dying from those awful things, I called my Dr. and she put me on Myacalcin. Shortly after that I started hearing about all the awful things with the jaw deterioration you can get from Fosomax and any other drug in that category. At that point I thought my Dr. didn't like me cause in the past she had also had me on things that were recalled.

I continued with the Myacalcin for several months and began hearing from others how it was totally ineffective. So I started doing research on it and it was considered to be useless. So at that point, I just never got my prescription refilled again.All during this time and still today I take three candy type chews a day. Each one contains 500 mgs. of calcium along with D and K. The summer of 2005 I also had a very hard fall, yet I broke nothing. The thing that mainly concerns me is the numbers for my spine even though they tell me that my hip at a -1.8 is also osteoporosic. According to anything I've ever read, it isn't considered that until you are above -2.5. From 2.0 to 2.5 is considered osteopenic. So the only explanation they have for me is that anything over 1.0 is osteoporosic cause that's how their machine is calibrated. So I'm wondering why they don't adjust it to be like it is in the rest of the country.

But with the three scans I've had the numbers were from first to last were -2.6, -2.5, and now it's a -2.8. How do those numbers compare to the rest of you?

I'm also wondering why it would be getting worse considering that I'm taking more then enough calcium along with D and K.

Exercise was mentioned and I do a lot of that, but what specific things are good for the spine? Is weight-lifting really safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness