Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I said they could be. They do put hundreds of chemicals in our water. My point being, the one you totally overlooked, is that the skin does absorb a variety of things. And it absorbs them all the way into the blood stream.
Or it "could be" magical bath fairies poking at her bladder causing her to urinate....

Makes as much sense as what your "could be" involves.

Unless you know of a specific chemical that "could be" found in the water and "could be absorbed through the skin" that "could be" triggering release of a natural chemical( which one again?) which "could be" triggering urination(you have a list of chemical triggers of urination lying around?).

The mind reels...

The point you overlooked,

a simple question was asked, can soaking in a tub result in enough water being absorbed through the skin to result in increased urine production and excretion...

The answer is no....unequivocally....no.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:13 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Or it "could be" magical bath fairies poking at her bladder causing her to urinate....

Makes as much sense as what your "could be" involves.

Unless you know of a specific chemical that "could be" found in the water and "could be absorbed through the skin" that "could be" triggering release of a natural chemical( which one again?) which "could be" triggering urination(you have a list of chemical triggers of urination lying around?).

The mind reels...

The point you overlooked,

a simple question was asked, can soaking in a tub result in enough water being absorbed through the skin to result in increased urine production and excretion...

The answer is no....unequivocally....no.
This morning, your statement was proven erroneous.

A suggestion had been made earlier on that I weigh myself prior to soaking, then weigh myself again upon getting out.

Here's the result from this morning's soak, the first in a good long while.

Weight after peeing, before going into the tub: 214.6 pounds

Weight after drying off upon getting out of the tub after 1 1/2 hours of soaking because I had to pee again: 216.2 pounds

Weight after peeing again: 214.6 pounds

I did not drink a drop of water in there.

Now, theoretically, if my necessity for urination was NOT because I had absorbed water through my skin, since I hadn't had anything to drink, before peeing the second time, I should have weighed exactly 214.6 pounds or very close to it, and after peeing, I should have weighed substantially LESS than 214.6 pounds. Yet, without eating anything or drinking anything, somehow I miraculously gained 1.6 pounds while soaking for 1 1/2 hours, all of which was immediately shed upon peeing.

So the conclusion is YES. My skin absorbs water when I soak. Yours may not - mine does.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Kinda off topic, but my partner used to have severe eczema, and had to use all kinds of steroid creams to calm it down. Turns out they were using multiple dryer sheets when drying his work uniform, once he started washing and drying his own the eczema went away.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Your scale is either broken or not accurate, or you stood on it differently, putting your weight forward or leaning back on your heels, which skewed the scale. Or, you're some kind of medical freak who should be in the hospital for testing. People don't absorb 1.75 pounds of water while soaking in tubs. They just don't. If you really did, then you should go to the doctor and find out what's wrong with your skin.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Your scale is either broken or not accurate, or you stood on it differently, putting your weight forward or leaning back on your heels, which skewed the scale. Or, you're some kind of medical freak who should be in the hospital for testing. People don't absorb 1.75 pounds of water while soaking in tubs. They just don't. If you really did, then you should go to the doctor and find out what's wrong with your skin.
I set the scale in the exact same location each time and stood on it the exact same way each time, not that it'd matter as my scale measures weight as the combined force input on four individual sensors rather than one internal spring as the old-style scales did.

Evidently I do absorb that much water when I soak. It's possible that the eczema has something to do with it but this happens every time I soak. Give it an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours, and I will have to pee fiercely. If I soak for three hours, without drinking a drop, I will have to pee twice... and it'll be a full bladder load each time even though I always pee prior to going into the tub.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Everyone has to pee after soaking in water for an extended length of time. Didn't you ever go to summer camp? It's one of the oldest pranks to play on the new kids. You put lukewarm water in a glass and dip a sleeping camper's hand into the glass. He ends up peeing in his sleep.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Everyone has to pee after soaking in water for an extended length of time. Didn't you ever go to summer camp? It's one of the oldest pranks to play on the new kids. You put lukewarm water in a glass and dip a sleeping camper's hand into the glass. He ends up peeing in his sleep.
I can honestly say that I never once went to summer camp.

But though everyone has to pee after soaking for a long time, it was always a question of "why". I had begun to wonder why soaking in water seemed to make me pee a lot. It's not just that contact between my skin and water made me feel like I had to pee because I hadn't peed... it went like this... I'd pee before getting in the tub, then 1 1/2 hours later I had to go really badly... so I did... then I'd get back into the tub... 1 1/2 hours later, same deal... got to the point of feeling like my bladder was going to burst. And the weird thing always was that I wasn't drinking any liquids... and the pee was totally clear on those last two trips to the can. It looked the same as it would have looked if I had been drinking tons of water and had to pee a lot as a result. Since this only happened when I soaked, and since soaking seemed to be the only thing that would make my eczema relax, I had to figure that there was some correlation between soaking and the amelioration of a dry skin condition. Thus, if my skin would absorb enough water to make the eczema go away, it stands to reason that it would absorb enough water to make me have to pee a lot. I guess that's what happened to me.

So now everyone knows that your skin does, in fact, absorb substantial amounts of water when you pee... or at least it does so with me and potentially anyone else who has eczema.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:48 PM

245 posts, read 304,191 times
so what does peeing have to do with the absorption? you are a poor writer

Old 10-07-2014, 04:49 PM

There just isn't any other way to tell you you're wrong, than to say - you're wrong. You want to believe you're a special snowflake, a mutant whose physiology is significantly different from the rest of the human species. Biology just plain doesn't work that way. If it did, you would pee SPF 15 when you put suntan lotion on your skin.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvan View Post
so what does peeing have to do with the absorption? you are a poor writer
She's convinced herself that bathing in water absorbs through the skin, and then somehow magickally ends up in her bladder (which isn't connected to the skin at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness