U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 PM

7,938 posts, read 9,149,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's not Prozac, it's Paxil.
Oops, my error. Did your doc ever suggest clonidine? It's a blood pressure med. Also cheap, unless you get the patch version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM

3,775 posts, read 3,322,603 times
I had not heard about clonidine, but I will check into that since I might have to go on BP meds soon anyway. Maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone, right?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
I have taking Brisdelle now for 3 weeks. Before I started, I was having horrible hot flashes every single hour of the day. I was miserable. But most of all, I was not sleeping at all, which made me depressed and moody and ruined my day for months on end. It was absolutely terrible to be talking with patients at the hospital and break out into a drenching sweat. I can honestly say that since the 2nd day of taking this incredible medication, I have slept through the entire night. I am not kidding at all. I have never had any nausea or vomiting, ever. I still have 2 hot flashes a day. They seem to be always at the same time, 7am and around 7pm at night (weird). But I can handle this. I highly, highly highly recommend this for women who are truly suffering. It saved me, honestly it did.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
Default I'm taking Brisdelle - it works for me

I started taking Brisdelle about 9 days ago. I don't know how it works for everyone, but it is really working for me. I was miserable. The hot flashes were occurring about 5 or more times a day and all night long. They started bout 2 months go. I finally could not take it anymore and went to my doctor. He prescribed Brisdelle. It started working after about 4 days. That is when the hot flashes began to really diminish in terms of the amount of incidents and in intensity. It is a miracle drug in my opinion. I did have a headache on the second day, but I also had been cutting down on coffee, which I had started doing about 3 or 4 days before I took the medicine. I found that coffee during the first week did trigger. Flash, but it does not any longer. The headache did go away. I have a little headache as I write, but it is minor. I can now sleep at night. It has been 9 days now, and I have not had a hot flash at all in the past two days, and had one minor flash in the days preceding the last two days. Even when the temperature Is hot, I am not drenched in sweat. My body is not clammy, and my clothes do not get wet. I sweat like I would before the hot flashes took over. I hope that this lasts. I don't know how long I will have to take it, but I'll take it as long as I have to and there are no problematic side affects. I hope this helps someone out there. Because it definitely helped me. But everyone is different.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:08 AM

6,045 posts, read 20,241,688 times
I don't know if this would help you, but I had medication-induced menopause (and the hot flashes that went with it) for a while after cancer treatments, and my oncologist prescribed Effexor to me. It did help after I'd worked up to 75mg for a couple of weeks. I felt very mildly nauseous the first few days but then that went away, and I experienced no further side effects.
Eventually I came off of it (didn't need it anymore), which did take maybe 2-3 weeks to as it has to be tapered off.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
I am on the 7th day of Brisdell and not have seen any change. I am miserable beyond belief. Don't waste your money. My insurance didn't cover it and it was 185.00!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 AM

3,775 posts, read 3,322,603 times
I am currently taking over the counter Estroven. It actually works pretty well. Not all the flashes are gone, but they are diminished by at least half. At peak I was having 20 or more per day and at least 6 or 7 were full body sweat running down me all over type. I only get those less than once per day now. Hot sunshine is still a big trigger for me. Everyone around me will be perfectly dry and comfortable and I look like I fell in the pool. The paxil and gabapentin were total wastes, no help at all.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM

3,904 posts, read 2,287,832 times
I just started using Organic Excellence Balance Plus Therapy Progesterone cream with Phystoestrogens.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Excell.../dp/B005P0SXKO

I have been using it for just about a week now and the jury is still out. I have noticed a few differences-like my scalp isn't as dry & flaky and I don't cry at the drop of a hat. But hot flashes? Well, they don't seem to be as intense. I am hoping that the longer I use it, the more they will diminish. What I like about it is that it is ALL natural. No synthetic ingredients.

Cat

Old 05-28-2015, 11:42 AM

1,065 posts, read 567,720 times
I did not take those but did try Prozac. (Note, I have been having hot flashes since I was 20, they just increased, but were not yet the horrid ones I hear about). It worked somewhat but n ot great. Wasnt worth the side effects.

What helped me dramatically is acupuncture. I used to get flashes everyday, at least one horrible long acting one. I only get a mild one once a week or so now, unless my period is about to begin.

If I stop the acunpuncture, they come back.
Wasnt your original question OP, but thought it was useful to know.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM

3,904 posts, read 2,287,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I did not take those but did try Prozac. (Note, I have been having hot flashes since I was 20, they just increased, but were not yet the horrid ones I hear about). It worked somewhat but n ot great. Wasnt worth the side effects.

What helped me dramatically is acupuncture. I used to get flashes everyday, at least one horrible long acting one. I only get a mild one once a week or so now, unless my period is about to begin.

If I stop the acunpuncture, they come back.
Wasnt your original question OP, but thought it was useful to know.

I'm going to acupuncture, too. Not sure if it is helping me or not.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness