U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM

6,422 posts, read 3,390,304 times

Advertisements

I'm also searching for answers other than HRT and was excited to read about this drug -- until I realized it's PAXIL (again)... Why is the entire country being prescribed SSRIs for everything from Anxiety to Zits? Plenty of side effects, including suicidal and even homicidal ideation; nothing to take lightly. Since it doesn't effect hormones, I'll assume they just want to market more SSRIs to the American public. Am trying soy isoflavons; fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM

4,129 posts, read 2,631,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm also searching for answers other than HRT and was excited to read about this drug -- until I realized it's PAXIL (again)... Why is the entire country being prescribed SSRIs for everything from Anxiety to Zits? Plenty of side effects, including suicidal and even homicidal ideation; nothing to take lightly. Since it doesn't effect hormones, I'll assume they just want to market more SSRIs to the American public. Am trying soy isoflavons; fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, the answer to that question is $$$$$$$. Big Pharm makes boocoo bucks on it, docs get kickbacks from Big Pharm. It is a vicious cycle and unfortunately, it is people like us who are looking for answers to our issues are the ones who get caught in their money grab. And most people think that if the doc prescribe it, it HAS to work.

Cat

Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 AM

5,254 posts, read 2,984,798 times
Why in the world is Paxil being given for the symptoms of menopause? Paxil is an anti-depressant. What are they saying? You are depressed? Your hot flashes are "all in your head"?

These anti-depressants are very, very powerful medications, with some pretty adverse reactions. My daughter was given Paxil to treat Bi Polar. She gained 50 lbs. and had thoughts of suicide while taking Paxil. While I am not making light of hot flashes (been through menopause myself), is that worth the risk to alleviate hot flashes?

There has to be a better solution than anti-depressants to treat the hot flashes of menopause.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Unfortunately, the answer to that question is $$$$$$$. Big Pharm makes boocoo bucks on it, docs get kickbacks from Big Pharm. It is a vicious cycle and unfortunately, it is people like us who are looking for answers to our issues are the ones who get caught in their money grab. And most people think that if the doc prescribe it, it HAS to work.

Cat
And HAS to be safe. I don't find it to be a coincidence that the advent of mass shootings coincided with the advent of SSRIs, and - hello - "violent impulses" are listed right there among the side effects. But I guess they're making too much money to look into this? Every one of these people was "depressed" or "being treated for depression," and that means SSRIs (no doctor prescribes anything else these days)...

People have suffered from depression since the dawn of time and sometimes committed suicide to end their pain, but only since SSRIs have depressed people taken automatic weapons to malls, schools, and the workplace and killed everyone in sight for no earthly reason at all...

Anyone else see a connection here?

"First, do no harm..."

At any rate, SAFE to say I won't be taking Paxil for my hot flashes! Any other ideas?

Old 06-17-2015, 07:39 AM

5,254 posts, read 2,984,798 times
Quote:
And HAS to be safe. I don't find it to be a coincidence that the advent of mass shootings coincided with the advent of SSRIs, and - hello - "violent impulses" are listed right there among the side effects. But I guess they're making too much money to look into this? Every one of these people was "depressed" or "being treated for depression," and that means SSRIs (no doctor prescribes anything else these days)...

People have suffered from depression since the dawn of time and sometimes committed suicide to end their pain, but only since SSRIs have depressed people taken automatic weapons to malls, schools, and the workplace and killed everyone in sight for no earthly reason at all...

Anyone else see a connection here?

"First, do no harm..."

At any rate, SAFE to say I won't be taking Paxil for my hot flashes! Any other ideas?
Putting aside my own daughter's suicidal thoughts on Paxil, which stopped when she stopped taking it, do you know that the pilot who crashed the plane into the Alps had been taking anti-depressants? One German media source reported they found bottles of Paxil in his apartment.

For hot flashes? No, I don't think the benefits (?) outweigh the risks. I myself just put cold wet towels around my neck and/or sat in front of a fan. No side effects from that.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 AM

They prescribe it for PMS -- and hangnails -- as well. Did you know that "smoking cessation" drugs are also SSRIs? And there have been a few incidents there, as well. Just my own anecdotal evidence (friends' reports) have scared ME away from it; they feel "crazy" and aggressive on it; one says he doesn't care what he does or what happens now (which makes him less depressed). Since half the world is taking it now, most of these "inexplicable" acts can be easily explained, if only so much money weren't to be lost in doing so. Might make a good thread on citydata! At any rate, I'll stick with soy isoflavons or the tried-and-true HRT.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
They prescribe it for PMS -- and hangnails -- as well. Did you know that "smoking cessation" drugs are also SSRIs? And there have been a few incidents there, as well. Just my own anecdotal evidence (friends' reports) have scared ME away from it; they feel "crazy" and aggressive on it; one says he doesn't care what he does or what happens now (which makes him less depressed). Since half the world is taking it now, most of these "inexplicable" acts can be easily explained, if only so much money weren't to be lost in doing so. Might make a good thread on citydata! At any rate, I'll stick with soy isoflavons or the tried-and-true HRT.

I took Chantix to try and quit smoking and it made me want to gnaw the legs off of the furniture. I was bouncing off the walls and if I didn't know any better, I would have sworn that I eye balls were rolling around in their sockets. Needless to say, I didn't last that long on the stuff. It helped me with the initial stop but after I stopped taking the stuff, I went through the withdrawals-but I made it on the other side.

Cat

Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM

Prozac, Paxil, and there are numerous others; they're all in the class called SSRIs, and they're all potentially dangerous, IMHO. Absolutely no reason to prescribe this for menopause. Even I -- as suspicious of drugs as I am -- had to do some digging to unearth what this drug actually is; shady! I've heard of some pretty serious side effects with Black Cohosh, so am a little reluctant to try that. Praying the innocuous soy works for me...

Old 06-17-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's not Prozac, it's Paxil. The Brisdelle thing is a rip-off, just a new name and an unnecessarily difficult packaging. If it worked for me, which it doesn't, I would have switched to generic 10 mg Paxil. I am going to the 3/day gabapentin routine. You have to titrate up to 3/day and today is my first day to take the full 3/day dose. Tomorrow and the next few days will tell me if this is going to work. I can't take black cohosh for at least 2 more months because I am on blood thinners because of the blood clot. After I go off the thinners I can try that if the gabapentin doesn't work or I could add it to the gabapentin according to my doc. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
That's another name for Neurontin, an anti-seizure medication. The heck? What we need is a hormone substitute; not everything else under the sun.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:19 PM

The thing is there is not much research going into treatment for menopause. When it comes to women's health, it seems like it is on the short end of the stick and menopause is on the very bottom of that list. Maybe someone, someday will invest in research for our daughters & grand-daughters when they reach this age.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness