U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:25 PM

5,570 posts, read 2,831,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Some advise for sleeping? Apart from fans, get rid of all your synthetic bedding. Use cotton sheets and pillows or covers made from cotton or down. Those synthetics do not breathe like the natural fibers and will make you hot and sweat more.

Back when I went through menopause I bought a buckwheat pillow. Oh, yeah, that stayed very nice and cool on my head. Do they still make those?

It's been about 20 years since I went through menopause, but since moving to South Florida I am ALWAYS HOT. Anything I can find to stay cool, I try it.
I've learned to sleep in the buff (still need to set up my box fan); no need to change wet nighties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:49 PM

28 posts, read 17,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do you have a name or link? Wonder what the potential side effects are... It can't be very potent if it's OTC, but maybe it's just potent enough!
Honestly, that was my initial thought too, how strong could it be? it is OTC? But this thing works - my night sweats went from at least 15 a night to 0 within 3 days of using this. Reviews also talked about being good for depression and anxiety etc... but I didn't pay attention to that. However, difference it made on my moods are amazing. I am a very anxiety prone person and I have been depressed in the past but I have never been treated with any medication. Now, that effect has lessened after I lowered the dosage. Initially, I started twice a day, morning and evening. After 4 days, I only started using once in the evening because my problem have always been with night sweats and sleep.

Even though I feel great now, I read it can accumulate in the body and eventually cause issues with excessive progesterone (which then converts into testosterone and other hormones.) With the side effects, it seems most people see them right away. I think you are suppose to do a test to see if your progesterone levels are low. Perhaps, people get side effects because their levels are not low to start with. Others only started getting side effects after using it for over 4-5 months. Then again, there were people who have been using this for years with no issues. I can PM you the name, I am not sure if I am allowed to just post it.

I realize it may eventually cause problems but I swear I haven't slept normal night of sleep for at least a year. I am sick of being exhausted and this makes me feel so good.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:45 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,378,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShadow View Post
I have been suffering from hot flashes/night sweats for about 2 years now due to premenopause. I tried many things which did not work and I am too scared to try antidepressents. Few months ago, based on glowing reviews, I bought OCT pregestrone cream from Amazon. I was reluctant to use it because it is a hormone and I don't want to mess up my body. But after getting 15-20 night sweats a night and not getting any sleep night after night, I decided to give it a try. I started 3 weeks ago and I am feeling so good. It stopped my hot flashes/night sweats from the first day of use. I sleep like a baby, wake up all rested, my moods are better, even my skin looks better. I haven't felt this good since this whole thing started. I am still little afraid because I read it can accumulate in your body and cause some problems but I am so reluctant to stop. Only side effect I had was some weird dreams I get. I did lower the dosage, so I am only using half the recommended dosage. It may not be for everyone but I just wanted to put it out there.

I tried a progestrone cream-also from Amazon. Didn't help me. But, part of the reason was that it had wild yam in it. Wild yam makes my blood sugar drop like a rock. I only lasted about 2 or 3 weeks on it. I actually felt better AFTER I stopped taking it. But, I will say that I slept great when I was using it. Maybe if I tried some of it without wild yam it might have helped better.

I got my soy pills today. Hopefully this will work-something HAS to. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and I have been sleeping in the buff most of my life. I can't sleep in pjs because I toss & turn too much and get all tangled up.

Cat

Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM

What kind did you order, Cat? I just bought the five-bottle "bargain" bundle of Puritan brand through Amazon. Still having them (down to 6 or 7 a day as opposed to 24, and I'm not even kidding), but I hope continued use or increased dosages will help that. Any idea as to how high you can safely go? With any supplement (especially herbs), it's important to stick with a reliable brand, as the ingredients are regulated by the FDA for effectiveness and user safety. Couldn't tell if this particular brand was UPS approved, but it was a really good buy!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What kind did you order, Cat? I just bought the five-bottle "bargain" bundle of Puritan brand through Amazon. Still having them (down to 6 or 7 a day as opposed to 24, and I'm not even kidding), but I hope continued use or increased dosages will help that. Any idea as to how high you can safely go? With any supplement (especially herbs), it's important to stick with a reliable brand, as the ingredients are regulated by the FDA for effectiveness and user safety. Couldn't tell if this particular brand was UPS approved, but it was a really good buy!

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ref_=pd_ybh_24

I chose that brand because there no additives (i.e. sugar, salt, etc.) and the fact that it is made in the U.S. Each tablet has 50 mg. I figured I will start with one and then add. Only started last night and of course no change and I just had a nasty hot flash.

I read that dosage should be 50-100 mg once or twice a day.

Cat

Old 06-24-2015, 03:22 PM

Looks like yours comes with extra fiber; hence the glass of water! Mine has that stuff (the g-word, which I can never recall), which is supposed to be extra-helpful. Hope I didn't order the wrong thing, since I ordered so much of it...

Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Looks like yours comes with extra fiber; hence the glass of water! Mine has that stuff (the g-word, which I can never recall), which is supposed to be extra-helpful. Hope I didn't order the wrong thing, since I ordered so much of it...

That's why when I am trying something, I only order a little. I know you can get deals when you buy in bulk. Believe you me, I learned this the hard way.

So far I have tried Menoquil, Macafem, herbal patches, evening primrose, wild yam, ginkgo biloba, red clover, black cohosh, Organic Excellence Balance Plus Therapy Bio-identical Progesterone Cream with Phytoestrogens , Premarin cream, some Chinese herbs that my acupuncturist got me & probably a few others that I have totally forgotten. The soy is just the latest. I'm not saying that none of these works, I'm saying none of them worked for ME! I have heard women say that these things work for them-which is why I tried them. Some of them started off good but then it wasn't. I still have half full bottles of some of these around. I just have a strange chemistry that is making it hard for me to find relief.

Hopefully, this is the one. (Of course that is what I said to the last one.)

Cat

Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
That's why when I am trying something, I only order a little. I know you can get deals when you buy in bulk. Believe you me, I learned this the hard way.

So far I have tried Menoquil, Macafem, herbal patches, evening primrose, wild yam, ginkgo biloba, red clover, black cohosh, Organic Excellence Balance Plus Therapy Bio-identical Progesterone Cream with Phytoestrogens , Premarin cream, some Chinese herbs that my acupuncturist got me & probably a few others that I have totally forgotten. The soy is just the latest. I'm not saying that none of these works, I'm saying none of them worked for ME! I have heard women say that these things work for them-which is why I tried them. Some of them started off good but then it wasn't. I still have half full bottles of some of these around. I just have a strange chemistry that is making it hard for me to find relief.

Hopefully, this is the one. (Of course that is what I said to the last one.)

Cat
Well, I tried it in a small bottle bought in a store, got some relief, and figured this brand would work as well as that brand. Perhaps wrongly! Stay tuned...

Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 PM

4,952 posts, read 11,895,275 times
I've been having hot flashes for 6 years now...nighttime sucks... and yes, I keep that overhead fan on HIGH! (Poor hubby freezes, but I NEED the airflow!)

I've tried Estroven...two different times....messed with my intestinal operations both times! I tried the vaginal cream...didn't do anything but make a mess.

I won't do HRT, since my mom had uterine cancer from (IMO) Premarin that she took for years.

Hot flashes suck. I carry a fan everywhere, and I am NOT afraid or embarrased to use it. If someone looks at me, I just tell them, 'Hot flash...sorry"!

I'm not going to take an antidepressant for this....I've learned to live with them, even tho it still sucks the big one!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM

Maybe try just one or two of the Estroven ingredients at a time to see if they help? I'm not a fan of the "mixed fruit" potions anyway... Some don't work, others you don't need, so why take them? Am a little afraid of Black Cohosh although, from what I've read, it's the most effective. Must buy fan for purse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness