Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM

484 posts, read 760,831 times

Advertisements

You guys are all much nicer than me, it seems. My first thought when I read this OP was some sicko troll who wants to hear about the inner workings of gyn appointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:07 PM

351 posts, read 693,161 times
How old were you first gyn exam: 17
You were a virgin: Yes
Your doctor is: male or female - My first gyn was a female. Up until just recently, I only used female, but now I have a male.
Who was in the room besides the doctor: No, since my first gyn was a female. My last gyn appointment with a male had a female in the room.
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Naked. Sometimes I'd leave my socks on. I'm not there for a foot exam.
Given a gown or sheet: Yes. Doctor's do need to respect your need for privacy. I was usually give a paper gown for top and a paper or cloth sheet for bottom.
Did you get a breast exam: Yes. Breasts are a part of a woman's body. A GYN will focus on all parts of a woman-specific system. That means, it's not all about the areas between the legs.
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non - Ext: Yes, Int: Yes
Did you get a pap smear: I think they are given yearly still, though some doctor will do them every 3 years, but that might have to do with age and lifestyle.
Were you comfortable during the exam: Emotionally, I was comfortable. Not all doctors' personalities will work with you so looking around for someone you are more comfortable with is perfectly acceptable. Physically, it's never really that comfortable getting a large plastic object representing a duck's bill shoved in to your privates. Hopefully, your doctor will be gentle. It helps greatly to take slow deep breaths and imagine you are someone relaxing. It's uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt. Always let the doctor know how you feel during any part of the exam.
What the worst part of the exam: What I said above about getting a duck's bill shoved into your girly bits.

The exam may sometimes feel violating, but it is important to get examined yearly to make sure all unseen parts are functioning correctly. The doctor is not trying to make you uncomfortable either. Try to relax and let the doctor do what he or she has to do. Remember this, your body is no different than the many other patients your doctor sees that day. Any embarrassing question you can think of, the doctor has heard worse that day already. Talk about ANYTHING! Sex, contraceptive options, boys, funky smells from down under, masterbation, ...anything! Your doctor has heard it all!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 AM

108 posts, read 131,828 times
This makes me glad to be a man, that must be terrible.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
You guys are all much nicer than me, it seems. My first thought when I read this OP was some sicko troll who wants to hear about the inner workings of gyn appointments.

Doesn't bother me if it is, maybe they will learn something that makes it less interesting to them, if that's the case. And if it's really a teen girl who has the questions, or if other girls with the same questions find this thread, then maybe it will help them. I wasn't even thinking about trolls, I was thinking about my daughter who's going to start having gyn checkups soon and how she would need to know those answers, if I weren't around to answer them.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermoMan View Post
This makes me glad to be a man, that must be terrible.
I've heard that men's checkups get to be less fun once you hit 40 because they start checking the prostate then.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 AM

108 posts, read 131,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've heard that men's checkups get to be less fun once you hit 40 because they start checking the prostate then.
That only happens if you allow those exams to happen. That also applies to this of course. But to start getting them when you still a teen, that must be one of the worst experiences ever. Most guys wouldn't allow a prostate exam at 40.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermoMan View Post
That only happens if you allow those exams to happen. That also applies to this of course. But to start getting them when you still a teen, that must be one of the worst experiences ever. Most guys wouldn't allow a prostate exam at 40.
That is so stupid. Everybody's body changes at certain age. Young men should check themselves for irregularities in their testicles as well and not be afraid to have it checked out by a doctor.Testicular cancer is usually a young man's disease and caught early can be 100% cured.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
How old were you first gyn exam: 16
Your doctor is: male or female Always had male doctors; gender wasn't my criteria, competence and treating me like a partner in my own health care was
Who was in the room besides the doctor: Never in the past four decades had an exam where a nurse was not also present
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Totally naked but covered with a disposable hospital gown and a sheet - or in one case, same made from designer sheets, loved that office, they even had warm wraps on the stirrups and something to read on the ceiling!
Given a gown or sheet: See above
Did you get a breast exam:Yes, no big deal. The doctor is not feeling you up, he or she is trying to save your life by finding any lumps, and also initially establishing a baseline to detect future changes.
Did you get a pelvic exam: external/internal/non Yes. That's the only way they can determine some things.
Did you get a pap smear: Yes. Most you should feel, if anything, is a tiny pinch.
Were you comfortable during the exam: Yes.
What the worst part of the exam: Wondering if the doctor was going to tell my mother anything private that I've shared - and be sure to share any questions you might have, in fact, write them down ahead of time so you don't forget in the stress of the moment. They don't due to doctor/patient confidentiality laws.

They will take a urine sample to test for a few different things.

They'll also weigh you.

It's a bit disconcerting the first time, just like anything new, but sooner than you think it'll be less traumatic by a long shot than going to the dentist or taking an exam at school. If you find a doctor you like and trust, keep them.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
<shrug> It doesn't matter; it's not like they're some deep dark secret. I'd say that it's better for people (male or female) to know what happens than to have to use their imaginations. Ever see that Jeremy Irons movie, "Dead Ringers"? I think that kind of stuff is what people will imagine, strange, painful instruments, etc., because nobody gives the details of what goes on in a regular gyno visit.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna15 View Post
Hi I am just wondering what happens during your first gynecologist exam my dad is taking me in few days to my first gyn exam so that I have vaginitis I am wondering what the exam is going to consist of. I am very nervous and kinda about going.
Should I shave down there? (I have little hair only on abdomen)

How old were you first gyn exam: 15
Your doctor is: male
Who was in the room besides the doctor: Nurse for the first visit only
Wear you totally naked or just your bottom: Naked
Given a gown or sheet: Sort of a paper vest, open in front, and a paper sheet to wear as a sort of skirt
Did you get a breast exam: Yes
Did you get a pelvic exam: Yes, both internal and external
Did you get a pap smear: Yes
Were you comfortable during the exam: Not the first time
What the worst part of the exam: I don't really have a problem with anything, particularly. Probably the worst thing is the way the q-tip thing feels when doing the pap smear. I don't really mind the speculum, but the actual taking of the sample is a little uncomfortable to me.
I started going at age 15, and have gone once a year since to get my refill on my birth control (which is dual purpose, as I also take it to control my migraines.

I've been going to the same male doctor for 21 years now. He delivered my little sister 30 years ago, so I didn't really feel uncomfortable going to see him.

Every time I go in, they always ask if I want the nurse to stay in the room. I did the first time, but after that, don't really care. I figure my doc has been looking at lady parts for more than 40 years, why be embarrassed about it. *Edited to say that I would recommend that anyone under the age of 18 have a witness stay in the room, however.

In addition to the things you've listed, sometimes they do a body scan to check bone density, which involves laying as still as you can on the table while the machine passes over you, it takes about 15 minutes. This year, since I'm past 35 now, I had my first blood work and my first mammogram. People complain about the mammogram, but I didn't find it that bad, either.

I guess I'm just not easily embarrassed or very shy. I'm not about to run around naked outside, but I don't really care if female-part doctors look at my female parts.\

Oh, and I would shave whatever a swimsuit doesn't cover, but nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness