U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,079 posts, read 7,248,030 times
Reputation: 2557

Advertisements

I asked in another thread but didn't get a reply.

I take Crestor. It's ok for the most part but the itching is too much! It wakes me up at night.

I told the doctor. He said he hasn't heard of it causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Reputation: 6711
My FIL took Lipitor....he went through a period where he woke up a lot at night scratching his face, complaining of mosquitoes, when there were no mosquitoes.

He also developed muscle weakness in his legs and started falling a lot. That was the beginning of the end for him. He ended up dying of a heart attack.

I do not like statin drugs and would never take one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,863 posts, read 18,902,231 times
Reputation: 25113
My doc prescribed Crestor for me. I took it once, had terrible nightmares all night, then woke up with hives between my fingers, between my toes, and on my hips. So no more Crestor for me.

I'm supposed to try Pravastatin instead and see if I get weird side effects from it. My endocrinologist wants me to take a statin, but she says it's much milder than Crestor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,444,187 times
Reputation: 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I asked in another thread but didn't get a reply.

I take Crestor. It's ok for the most part but the itching is too much! It wakes me up at night.

I told the doctor. He said he hasn't heard of it causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this?
It may be totally unrelated to the Crestor. If it persists I would see a dermatologist. There are other dermatological conditions that can bring on the type of itching you are talking about. Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,079 posts, read 7,248,030 times
Reputation: 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
It may be totally unrelated to the Crestor. If it persists I would see a dermatologist. There are other dermatological conditions that can bring on the type of itching you are talking about. Good luck with it.
Nothing scary, I hope.

I don't have a rash other than on my shoulders which surprisingly do not itch. That rash is from the sun. I'm in the sun every weekend, all weekend. A necessary evil when having children heavily involved with sports. I use sunscreen but have a deep tan anyway. I can't avoid it. I apply and reapply like it's my job.

I took Benadryl last night before bed and it really helped. I didn't itch quite so much. I dot want to have to take. Benadryl each day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
My FIL took Lipitor....he went through a period where he woke up a lot at night scratching his face, complaining of mosquitoes, when there were no mosquitoes.

He also developed muscle weakness in his legs and started falling a lot. That was the beginning of the end for him. He ended up dying of a heart attack.

I do not like statin drugs and would never take one.
I think doctors are being more careful about prescribing statins as they do seem to have severe side effects in many cases, but I also think they have a place in our lives. Who knows which is better? Most meds have side effects, we have to decide for ourselves which way we want to go. I go for my semi annual check up tomorrow and am guessing I will be taken off them: I hope. I did get the results of my lab work, I am taking a very low dose of statin and my overall plus my good cholesterol is just fine.

I do not know that much about meds, but I doubt your FILs heart attack had anything to do with Statin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,687 posts, read 45,060,825 times
Reputation: 106739
The most common statin side effects include:
Headache
Difficulty sleeping
Flushing of the skin
Muscle aches, tenderness, or weakness (myalgia)
Drowsiness
Dizziness
Nausea and/or vomiting
Abdominal cramping and/or pain
Bloating and/or gas
Diarrhea
Constipation
Rash
Source. WebMD.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,127,319 times
Reputation: 5767
I would not be willing to run the risk of premature death by side-effects, myself. The long term mortality rate is 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,637 posts, read 53,511,196 times
Reputation: 18549
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I would not be willing to run the risk of premature death by side-effects, myself. The long term mortality rate is 100%.
The long term mortality rate of LIVING is 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The most common statin side effects include:
Headache
Difficulty sleeping
Flushing of the skin
Muscle aches, tenderness, or weakness (myalgia)
Drowsiness
Dizziness
Nausea and/or vomiting
Abdominal cramping and/or pain
Bloating and/or gas
Diarrhea
Constipation
Rash
Source. WebMD.com
doesn't that about cover every possible side effect to every drug? Let's face it, most of what you list are very rare and only listed as a precaution to protect the pharmacy companies and doctors.

Now I saw my doctor yesterday and we talked about my going off meds. She suggests I wait a few more months and she will recheck. Dawn, oh well, I tried. Now, the next step, more exercise and cutting back on my eating. If that works I will be able to throw the darn things away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top