Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:01 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. Smoking makes you reek. Not just your breath, your clothing, hair, everything about you smells stale and foul. If I get into an elevator with a smoker, I get get back out. If my secretary smokes, I ask for her to be switched to someone else. He/she will stink all the time and no amount of perfume or mint can mask the smell. Yes you have a right to stink if you choose, but you still stink.

2. Smoking around non-smokers is incredibly rude. When you blow smoke in someone's direction, it is the equivalent of bending over and passing gas in their face. (that is why the thing that you suck the smoke through is called a butt). Yes you have the right to do that too, but if you do it, you will be generally reviled.

3. Smoking endangers the health of others. I once took a cigarette and heated it in a sealed container. A black gooey paste came out. It was disgusting. When you smoke a cigarette, that black gooey paste is going somewhere. Some of it gets caught in the filter, but not much compared to the amount of black gooey stuff. The rest goes into your body and into the body of those around you. Second hand smoke is dangerous. You have a right to poison yourself, but not to poison others.

4. The act of smoking is pretty gross. Have you ever sat and watched someone smoking in a car? It is similar to watching someone picking their nose and digging out a big gooey . . . well you get the picture. Ick.

5. Smoking makes your house stink. I do not go to the home of friends who smoke. I invite them over (and tell them no smoking in or near our house), or I do outside things with them. However do not think that if you are outside, that is it any more pleasant to have smoke blown in your face, or to smell the reek of a smoker. It is not. Friends who are inconsiderate smokers, I just do not see.

6. If you smoke and drink coffee, you will have the worst breath possible. People will gag from ten feet away. No amount of chewing gum or mints will cover it up. Even brushing your teeth will not completely get rid of the stench.

7. Smoking generates a litter problem. Cigarette butts do not ever decay. People throw them all over the place and make our world look bad. Even in the dump, these tings never go away. You may think that they are small, but after a while, a million os so of them is very substantial.

8. Smoking causes fires. Every year thousands of people set their home on fire with a cigarette, especially when they fall asleep while smoking.

9. Smoking causes global warming - Just ask Al Gore. (He invented smoking, and global warming too).

10. If you have kids, smoking in their presence is child abuse. You are poisoning them as well is greatly increasing the likelihood that they will try smoking thinking it makes them grown up and then spend the rest of their lives trying to break the addiction. Pus you make them stink and subject them to ridicule at school. Of course giving kids sugar is probably equally child abuse for essentially the same reasons and almost all of us are guilty of that.

12. Smoking is expensive.
I really get frustrated when I see people who cannot afford food or clothing for themselves or their children spending hundreds a month on cigarettes.

13. Smoking us unfair to the rest of us. When you are dying of lung cancer, emphysema or other smoking related diseases, who pays for your health care? It is also unfair to those who love you because it deprives them of your company sooner.

13. Smoking forces people to lie. Your loved ones will tell you that your breath is not that bad, or that you do not stink, or that your smoking does not bother them at all. THEY ARE LYING. and you have forced them to lie in order to avoid damaging your fragile psyche.

11. Smoking reduces math and counting skills. See just thinking about smoking made me forge to include the number 11.
You are rignt on coldjenson. Unfortunatly the only people who read all the way through your post are NON-smokers.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I smoked from 13 years old until I was 28 years old. What made me stop? My child got to be around 5 years old, and I realized how much of a role model I was. When I was younger, my parents smoke pot. Right in front of me. Rolled it up too, took out the seeds...I even knew where it was kept. So when we were told in highschool and in the commercials not to do drugs...yeah right, I had parents do it, and all their friends, so it was OK. So of course I did it, h&ll, I even stole it off of them. I just didn't like the effects so I stopped on my own.

I didn't want to tell me children "you can't smoke", as I have a ciggeratte dangling off my lips. Plus, I didn't want them reaping the "benefits" of second hand smoke. So I quit. Yes, COLD TURKEY. Will power is not a myth. You can do it. But, I had a reason that wasn't for myself. It was for my beloved son, and that's why I did it. If it was just for myself, I might not have done it. My husband did it cold turkey too...so that was two of us. And we're both 34/35, and haven't touched one since.

Now yes, we do hate it when people smoke near us. ANd we laugh when we watch people smoke, and see that thick cloud coming out of their mouth like a d#mn chimney and we've asked to each other "Ewww, is that how we looked? Could you imagine?"

Now I'll have more of a leg to stand on when I plead with my son not to smoke.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:43 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Smoking is bad because:

1. It causes wrinkles (and also at a young age too).

2. Makes your skin like a nasty "nicotine tan" color (that heavily brown/orange shade, some people get from smoking for a long time...Bleh!!)

3. Yellows your teeth.

4. Causes heart problems (my father had 5 heart attacks due to his years of smoking. If you don't think it won't happen to you, THINK AGAIN...Keep smoking, you'll find out!).

5. Breathing problems (could be the start of lung cancer or emphysema).

6. Makes your clothes smell (Bleh!!! Yuck!!)

7. Stains your fingertips (after a long time of smoking, your fingertips become a brown/yellowish color...Yuck!!).

8. Makes you cranky (I've never met anyone, that smoked, who was very nice or sincere. Always in a bad mood or some crap!).

9. And makes you very unattractive and NOT cool (if I see a man smoke, I don't even look his way. Not sexy at all, to me).

Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Sorry, but I think of anyone who smokes now as being a pathetic loser. You see smokers huddled in doorways in the winter smoking and you have to think they must be really weak to be so controlled that they need to stand out in the freezing cold to smoke.
Smokers also stink, and have wrinkly unhealthy looking faces.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
I could write a book of what makes a smoker 'disgusting' but honestly the main thing that freaks me out (at least) is the risk of lung cancer. Such poor prognosis for this type of cancer and the sad thing about it, is that it's avoidable. Also cigarettes contains the following chemicals:

Formaldehyde, Acetone, Rat Poison, Ammonia.....and about 4000 other chemicals.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Cool Emphysema

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
OK!!! I have never made a New Years resolution before but I was already planning on quitting smoking again so I thought, hey, why not then?! But I need some help..... I know you have all of you have done a thread like this one before so I'm calling on everyone. Please reply with all things disgusting about smoking to remind me why I'm quitting. I would greatly appreciate it as well as my roommate who is quitting with me. And if you have any tips, I wouldn't mind that either. I quit with the patch last time and I plan to use that again.Thanks for all your help.... and remember! Smoking is gross, tell me why!
To know that you will have emphysema or COPD with chronic bronchitis for the rest of your life and can't do anything to change it.
Every wheeze, everytime you're gasping for air and feel as though you are suffocating, and know that you can't do anything to change it.
It can also make you angry that you started in the first place
possibly dying from a lack of oxygen to your blood, because your lungs have shut down and more or less collapsed airways, can make you feel like you are dying everyday
Hope this helps
God Bless

Old 12-26-2007, 05:58 PM

605 posts, read 865,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are rignt on coldjenson. Unfortunatly the only people who read all the way through your post are NON-smokers.
Not actually, I am a SMOKER and read it all the way through---if I do not quit.....
Prettygyrl777 - where'd you find that info? ...interesting.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:42 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Not actually, I am a SMOKER and read it all the way through---if I do not quit.....
Prettygyrl777 - where'd you find that info? ...interesting.

My info comes from the health curriculum I use at the middle school where I work. It was put out by the CDC. But you can find tons of websites that will list the ingrediants in cigarettes-- very interesting reading. Here's one:

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/nico...ngredients.htm

Old 12-29-2007, 08:59 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I used to be a heavy smoker and quit cold turkey 23 years ago. It was the best thing I have every done. Everyone knows all the many health risks associated with smoking, so I won't go there. As a smoker I never realized just how bad the smell was. Now as a non-smoker I know. I can't stand even being in the room with someone that has smoked. They reek of cigarettes, their clothing, their hair and breath, their car, their furniture, everything they are around. It stains and colors your walls, car interior is light colored etc. I am really grateful I no longer smoke, don't know anyone that smokes anymore and my children have never been around a smoker or cigarette smoke.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Not true. I just read the whole thing. I did find number nine to be kind of cute AND true.

As far as the "cuteness" of the way things are stated~Nah. I don't believe in being disrespectful enough to call people stinky and foul-breathed, etc. no matter what agenda I'm pushing.

You know, I hadn't read the rest of the posts on this thread. I'm actually apalled at the lack of humanity that is shown toward others. Who will be your next target? Will it be the obese? Will it be the elderly? I can't believe how rude some of you are. I expected much more of you then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness