Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 AM

838 posts, read 1,119,905 times

Advertisements

Since my eyes are now getting dryer, my previous Optometrist told me to cut back on the number of hours I wear my contacts each day. I had decided to look for another optometrist because I haven't been happy with the service I received from this doctor's office the last two times I visited for contact lens eye exam.

So I went to a new doctor recently and paid $99 for an eye exam. I haven't bought glasses in years because I always wore my contacts all day long; only time I wear glasses is when I first get up in the morning. The doctor told me that progressive lens would work better for me than bifocals. I need to be able to see distance and close up on the computer screen and reading.

I looked at frames and couldn't decide on a pair. The young girl that assisted me with frames wrote down the price of the lens for polycarbonate and the Hi-index lens. Since I don't have insurance they allowed a 20% discount on frames.

Since I wasn't expecting to pay $500 for a pair of glasses, she gave me a copy of my prescription with quotes for the two different lens packages so I could think about what I wanted to do.

When I got home, I looked at the prescription and noticed that they did not completely fill out the prescription including cylinder, axis, and PD. So if I decide to look for frames at another eye doctor, I will have to pay for another exam??

I will say that the Doctor was very nice and I liked her. But, the young girl that "assisted" me with selecting frames was no help at all. Years ago, I bought a pair of glasses that didn't fit correctly (slipping down my nose) and the shape made my eyes look droopy! This girl did not do any measurements. Some frames felt snug while others felt too big or a little snug. She told me they could be adjusted to fit. But how much can they be adjusted? I was disappointed at the lack of help. Every pair I tried on and asked her what she thought, she just said, yeah. With the low level of lighting, I was not able to tell which frame shape looks best on me. Since I will be wearing these glasses out in public I want to make sure they are attractive on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
I believe the cylinder and axis are if you have astigmatism.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:32 AM

I do have astigmatism and I looked on an old prescription.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
You shouldn't have to pay twice. When you get your eye exam you should get prescription for both contacts and frames. You might want to take the prescription at another frame shop and check to see if it is missing anything. If it is then your original Dr has to fill it out properly at no further cost.

We had similar issues with the right lens type trial for one of my kids. We went there 3 times and finally found a pair that worked. We only paid once.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM

Unfortunately when I got the contact lens exam a few months back, I wasn't thinking about getting new glasses. I'm sure they charge more for both prescriptions anyway. Right now, I put a pair of readers over my glasses if I need to see something up close or look at the computer. When I go on vacation for two weeks, I don't want to carry around a pair of readers when going out at night to dinner, etc. or look funny wearing two glasses! It's a pain to keep taking my glasses off and on. I now go to the gym in the morning before work (5 am) and I wear my glasses. So it would be nice to be able to see better.

When I wear my contacts, one eye is for distance, the other for up close and this works fine so I don't need readers.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 AM

418 posts, read 742,170 times
I just paid a crazy price for progressive glasses through my eye dr. I decided to look around at other places to buy readers (for when I'm wearing contacts) and also prescription progressive sunglasses. I heard about an online place (ZenniOptical.com) and tried to order through them, but noticed a space for a "PD" (pupil distance) number which wasn't on my prescription. They can't make your glasses without that number. When I called my eye dr. and asked for the number, they were hesitant to give it to me, saying that was for their internal use only. I reminded them that I had just spent almost a thousand dollars through their office for glasses, so I preferred to go a less expensive route for my sunglasses/readers, and then they finally gave me the number.

I don't know what the rule is, but I think if you pay for an exam, they ought to print out your full prescription and give it to you. If you choose to buy glasses through them, that's fine, but if you want to purchase elsewhere, you should have that right.

Last edited by Glossa; 08-11-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Prescriptions get old and you will need a new one after a while. I went to the one at Sam's Club. You don't need to be a member to go there. You can then buy your glasses anywhere.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:34 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I just paid a crazy price for progressive glasses through my eye dr. I decided to look around at other places to buy readers (for when I'm wearing contacts) and also prescription progressive sunglasses. I heard about an online placed (ZenniOptical.com) and tried to order through them, but noticed a space for a "PD" (pupil distance) number which wasn't on my prescription. They can't make your glasses without that number. When I called my eye dr. and asked for the number, they were hesitant to give it to me, saying that was for their internal use only. I reminded them that I had just spent almost a thousand dollars through their office for glasses, so I preferred to go a less expensive route for my sunglasses/readers, and then they finally gave me the number.

I don't know what the rule is, but I think if you pay for an exam, they ought to print out your full prescription and give it to you. If you choose to buy glasses through them, that's fine, but if you want to purchase elsewhere, you should have that right.
You can measure the PD yourself with a ruler. Read the instructions at Zenni and they will tell you.

I been buying at Zenni for years now. IT IS INSANE how much the optical companies have markup on their glasses. I just bought 2 pairs couple weeks ago for 70 bucks. Same material, same quality.

You can search online for the brand names one if that is your thing. They are all significantly cheaper than any optical store. Those guys should be reported for price gouging all those years. The markup is insane. I read somewhere Luxottica have a monopoly on the glasses almost like a diamond cartel so they make like 90% on each glasses.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
I believe, by law, they are required to give you a full prescription if you ask for it. Of course they want you to buy from them so they make the profit from the frames and lenses too. My wife and I are in a similar situation, with progressive lenses. My optometrist office quoted about $450 WITH my insurance on a pair of glasses. I got a pair from Visionworks for about $300 cash, since they are not in my insurance network. But I filed the paperwork for an out of network claim and got $110 back for my glasses. Reminds me, I need to check on my wife's claim. It has been several weeks since I mailed it.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM

For just the lens $359 polycarbonate. $489 for high-index which are lighter & thinner. Add to that the frame. I need frames for narrow face and the nose pad type (dont know what that style is called) I looked on line at Target because I heard they are cheaper and you can select frames u like sent to your home to try. Just send back the ones you dont like. But all the frames they had with built in nose piece which dont fit me well and slide down my face

A friend of mine got a cheap frame with her vision insurance and they broke several times and eventually they couldnt be repaired

I dont know for sure the size I need because it wore off and I'm wondering how many places will adjust them for me. Also the dr I just went to said she would make sure the progressives would work for me so I could see computer screen and distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness