U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 AM

18,106 posts, read 15,299,595 times

Advertisements

What Causes Breast Calcifications? - Dr. Weil

From Dr. Weil:
The calcifications are tiny deposits of calcium within breast tissue that are visible on mammograms. They're a very common finding, tend to become more common as women get older, and are described as two basic types. Macrocalcifications, which look like large white dots on a mammogram, are probably due to aging of the breast arteries, old injuries, or inflammation. Since they're associated with noncancerous conditions, they don't require additional testing such as a biopsy. The other type, microcalcifications, show up as tiny white dots. Most of these are also benign, but their size, shape, and pattern may indicate tumor growth, and require further testing (a follow-up mammogram or a biopsy) to rule out cancer. Even when microcalcifications are deemed "suspicious," most turn out to be benign.
Here are some of the many causes of benign breast calcifications:
  • Calcium within the fluid of a benign cyst (this is called "milk of calcium").
  • Calcifications associated with a dilated milk duct.
  • An old injury to the breast.
  • Inflammation due to infection.
  • Skin calcifications caused by dermatitis (a rash) or metallic residues from powder, deodorants or ointments.
  • Prior radiation therapy for breast cancer.
  • Calcification of the arteries.
  • Calcifications in a noncancerous growth called a fibroadenoma.
I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to prevent future calcifications, however, if a biopsy is recommended again, you might seek a second opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM

249 posts, read 487,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What Causes Breast Calcifications? - Dr. Weil
I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to prevent future calcifications, however, if a biopsy is recommended again, you might seek a second opinion.
ocnjgirl, the info you posted by Dr. Weil deals only with the causes of breast calcifications. It says nothing whatsoever about preventing or reversing it.

On what are you basing your fear that there is nothing women can do to prevent future breast calcifications?

Some time ago the medical community believed that plaque in the heart could not be prevented. Now the medical community generally believes that it can be. And even though there now is strong evidence that it also can be reversed, many doctors do not address this possibility with their patients. People are reversing it. The fact that they've done it has been established with before and after heart scans using a special low dosage x-ray -- hard, reliable data.

What Is a Coronary Calcium Scan? - NHLBI, NIH

The same methods, primarily diet and exercise, have been used to prevent and reverse heart plaque. The addition of Vit K and D3 in combination has recently been recognized as a possible way to do this even more effectively.

I'm discussing these documented effects on the heart because research indicates Vit K and D3 in combination affect the the distribution of calcium throughout the body. If it works in the heart, it may also work in other areas of the body, distributing calcium where it needs to be (bones, teeth) and preventing it from locating where it's harmful (heart, teeth surfaces).

Based on what I've said, some of you may have figured out that breast calcification may signal heart calcification or plaque. Unfortunately, you are on the right track: there is evidence that "mammographically-detected breast arterial calcifications (BAC) correlates with several (but not all) traditional cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors and with prevalent and incident CVD." Please remember that "correlates" means the two conditions tend to be found together, not that one causes the other. As you've probably already have figured out, Vit K and Vit D3 likely play an important role in the cause of both. And I am suggesting this knowledge about Vit K and Vit D gives us promising ways to prevent and reverse the CVD risk factors. Again, our knowledge is just beginning and more research is needed.

Breast Arterial Calcification: a New Marker of Cardiovascular Risk? - Springer

I'm not yet convinced that calcium deposits in the breasts cannot be dissolved. Perhaps they can't, but I need more information to convince me. PAhippo, thanks for responding that you guess it's possible that the calcium in the breast can be reduced. If you had evidence that it couldn't be, I would have been open to that, too.

At this time, with all the emerging research about the effects of diet, exercise, and Vit D and D3, I definitely would not suggest or conclude that there is nothing women can do to prevent future breast calcifications.

I encourage everyone with breast calcification to google this for yourself.

Last edited by hmrd; 08-24-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM

18,437 posts, read 17,617,376 times
A medical doctor had me take a homeopathic remedy called Sepia. It got rid of the calcifications and I don't know how or why. It was a woman doctor who specialized in women's issues. I also think maybe magnesium would help because it works with calcium to make sure it is absorbed. That's my only experience with this--it seems the calcium was being deposited into the soft tissue instead of the bone.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,535,349 times
Hmrd, I appreciate your optimism!

And inNE, i am going to do some more research into Sepia. Apparently, it is the ink of the Cuttlefish and served a lot in the country my grandfather is from. I was just writing about loving fish from a young age and thus would not be surprised if this is something my body has been missing.

Two weeks ago I started taking ACV. I got a new script for D3 from my primary, stopped my cal/mag supplements and started magnesium citrate. I have not worn a bra in the past week and have sunbathed topless twice. I also started something called "stone breaker" I bought a week ago.

I have another mam Tuesday. Probably not enough time for anything to work (if anything is going to) but it's a start. I'm also doing a full body session of red light therapy tomorrow.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM

ocnjgirl, I just clicked on the link you gave and read Dr. Weil’s comments about breast calcifications. I saw that he, not you, said: “I’m afraid there is nothing you can do to prevent future calcifications, however, if a biopsy is recommended again, you might seek a second opinion.” Very sorry I misunderstood. I appreciate your research.

I also saw that on this page he said “I can reassure you, however, that nothing you are doing - your eating and exercise habits or your family history - has anything to do with the problem [breast calcifications].”

Yet, on another web page he says: “… it [Vit K] also may help to prevent calcification of arteries and other soft tissue.”

See Dr. Weil’s second statement here under the question: Why is vitamin K necessary?:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02804/vitamin-k.html

I think Dr. Weil just hasn’t yet connected Vit K with the prevention of calcification in the arteries and other soft tissue of the breast. He’s likely still focused on its impact on the heart and bones, as are most doctors, I suspect. So, you aren't likely to hear anything about prevention during a second opinion, but you may get a valuable second opinion on the status of your breast calcifications and treatment options.

Last edited by hmrd; 08-25-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM

9,493 posts, read 16,625,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
I appreciate PAhippo's comment that there are no tubes in the breast to flush out the breast, but I'm wondering if there are other ways the calcium can be removed from breast tissue. PAhippo, can it not be transported out by the same path it followed to get in? Isn't there also breast artery calcification? Wouldn't this have the arteries as a path out?
Well the lymph nodes are right there next to the breasts but they won't actually move any fluid around unless you exercise.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 AM

18,106 posts, read 15,299,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post

ocnjgirl, the info you posted by Dr. Weil deals only with the causes of breast calcifications. It says nothing whatsoever about preventing or reversing it.

On what are you basing your fear that there is nothing women can do to prevent future breast calcifications?

Some time ago the medical community believed that plaque in the heart could not be prevented. Now the medical community generally believes that it can be. And even though there now is strong evidence that it also can be reversed, many doctors do not address this possibility with their patients. People are reversing it. The fact that they've done it has been established with before and after heart scans using a special low dosage x-ray -- hard, reliable data.

What Is a Coronary Calcium Scan? - NHLBI, NIH

The same methods, primarily diet and exercise, have been used to prevent and reverse heart plaque. The addition of Vit K and D3 in combination has recently been recognized as a possible way to do this even more effectively.

I'm discussing these documented effects on the heart because research indicates Vit K and D3 in combination affect the the distribution of calcium throughout the body. If it works in the heart, it may also work in other areas of the body, distributing calcium where it needs to be (bones, teeth) and preventing it from locating where it's harmful (heart, teeth surfaces).

Based on what I've said, some of you may have figured out that breast calcification may signal heart calcification or plaque. Unfortunately, you are on the right track: there is evidence that "mammographically-detected breast arterial calcifications (BAC) correlates with several (but not all) traditional cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors and with prevalent and incident CVD." Please remember that "correlates" means the two conditions tend to be found together, not that one causes the other. As you've probably already have figured out, Vit K and Vit D3 likely play an important role in the cause of both. And I am suggesting this knowledge about Vit K and Vit D gives us promising ways to prevent and reverse the CVD risk factors. Again, our knowledge is just beginning and more research is needed.

Breast Arterial Calcification: a New Marker of Cardiovascular Risk? - Springer

I'm not yet convinced that calcium deposits in the breasts cannot be dissolved. Perhaps they can't, but I need more information to convince me. PAhippo, thanks for responding that you guess it's possible that the calcium in the breast can be reduced. If you had evidence that it couldn't be, I would have been open to that, too.

At this time, with all the emerging research about the effects of diet, exercise, and Vit D and D3, I definitely would not suggest or conclude that there is nothing women can do to prevent future breast calcifications.

I encourage everyone with breast calcification to google this for yourself.
That was all part of the Dr. Weil article, I didn't add any of my own words at the end. I don't have experience with calcifications nor an opinion on what can be done about them.

P.S. Just saw your post catching the error, lol.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

ocnjgirl, thanks for your post pointing out my error. I'm glad you saw that I'd caught it. I appreciate your “lol” attitude.

I know very little specifically about breast calcification myself. My primary interest is in calcification that affects the heart. I posted here because the indications are that Vit K and D3 affect calcification throughout the body, including the breast. I wanted to let the OP and others posting or visiting here know about this and I wanted to encourage anyone who is interested to research it and track on-going developments. I wish I had time to explore what is known about the possibility of reversal of calcification in the breast, but that’s not working out presently.

If anyone begins taking Vit K2 and D3 supplements, be aware of whether it reduces plaque on your teeth. Some people report this when the Vit K2 dosage is high enough.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 27,378 times
Default plaque on teeth

Great info on way to tell if D3 & leaf greens are working. Namaste, kay

Old 10-20-2016, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 27,378 times
found info on SILICA liquid form helps cleanse also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness