Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times

Advertisements

But the OP is NOT talking about mammograms!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM

324 posts, read 294,403 times
Well, I can't speak for women but if I had to do any kind of exam regarding genitals or private areas, I wouldn't allow any women there.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But the OP is NOT talking about mammograms!
Which makes the whole reason for calling the OP strange. My experiences with MRIs is as Willow described upthread. There was no handling, or need to disrobe involved as long as metal wasn't present.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,387,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. I have a male gynecologist and I don't see any difference. They are both professionals, IMO. But you have to go with whom you are comfortable with. Some women prefer a female gynecologist but I have found female gynecologists to be rougher on the downstairs than males
I could care less about their gender or sexual preference. My motto: Just be professional and do your job.

They aren't getting any jollies, and if they were they will keep it to themselves. I once had a doctor who I felt uncomfortable around, so I switched doctors.

The most inappropriate medical person I have ever encountered was a female nurse when I was in labor, but I digress.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I have one scheduled. Today the scheduler called back to tell me there will only be 2 male techs working and no females. I probably would not have even though about it but DAMM! Now that she mentioned it!!?

I've had male docs no prob, but these are techs. I'm assuming they might be younger than me and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable w that maturity. Also, the office is near where I graduated HS so although it's a slim chance I might know them, it's still a chance.

I'm overreacting right??

PS- wasn't sure to put this here or in health?
No, you're not overreacting. Those are general MRI techs? vs. the specialized mammorgram techs? What kind of technology is being used for your procedure? They shouldn't have men handling women-specific technology if disrobing is required, or should give the patient a choice (which it sounds like the office was trying to do, by forewarning you.) If there's no disrobing, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-27-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Here's the thing--and this is going to crush some egos, I'm sure--if a woman is getting a mammogram, she's at least 40, right? I won't get one until I'm 50 myself, because I read the literature and I'm not sure it's beneficial in low-risk women younger than that.

Point is, these women are of a certain age. If the techs are young, if anything, they'll be turned off by the, ah, shall we say, effects of time, gravity, and breast-feeding?

Really, it seems as if it's some of the women on this thread sexualizing the men here, not the other way around. What, afraid you might get turned on by a hot, young male tech touching yer boobs?
Lots of assumptions about what all 40+ women look like, here. When I went to the emergency room awhile ago, the interns, who looked like they were either just out of med school, or were still in school, were extremely unprofessional, and were overly friendly, I'll just put it that way. It would have creeped me out to have to do a mammogram with those guys in the room. And I'm over 40.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,721 times
The place I go doesn't allow male techs for this. They may have males read the report, but they do not interface with the female patients while the test is being done. I thought this was pretty industry wide as I have NEVER had a male tech.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
+1. I have a male gynecologist and I don't see any difference. They are both professionals, IMO. But you have to go with whom you are comfortable with. Some women prefer a female gynecologist but I have found female gynecologists to be rougher on the downstairs than males
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I could care less about their gender or sexual preference. My motto: Just be professional and do your job.

They aren't getting any jollies, and if they were they will keep it to themselves. I once had a doctor who I felt uncomfortable around, so I switched doctors.

The most inappropriate medical person I have ever encountered was a female nurse when I was in labor, but I digress.
+1. This thread reminds me of the strange attitude Americans have that the female breast is only about sex appeal. Its main function is feeding babies, not attracting men. Thus, I see no difference between a male or a female medical professional holding any part of my body: breasts, genitals, or anything else. All I want is a caring doctor/tech/nurse.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
+1. This thread reminds me of the strange attitude Americans have that the female breast is only about sex appeal. Its main function is feeding babies, not attracting men. Thus, I see no difference between a male or a female medical professional holding any part of my body: breasts, genitals, or anything else. All I want is a caring doctor/tech/nurse.
Congratulations. Some Americans do have that attitude. I guess you're lucky to be so unfettered.

The OP, however, did not express that concern.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Thank you for all the input I've decided to go, basically because I have the apt scheduled and i have a habit of missing apts and don't want to add this one to my list. (And i do actually keep a physical list.)

To clarify:

I've never had a Breast MRI so was not clear (still not totally) about amount of touching.

I have never had a baby so i don't have that mindset

Ty to the person who chimed in to educate others that people can get screenings at 29 or even younger if high risk.

Ty Wmsn4Life for chiming in about the shaming. Opinion is one thing, but some of the shaming language i feel has been a bit unnecessary.

**a tech is NOT in the same professional category as a doctor or nurse. Sorry to offend, but think about it. You can get a certificate in my area in 10 months. Maybe the same as a CNA and i won't know the experience until I get there and even then I won't really know.

** I've had plenty of yearly paps w a male doctor (which I just learned is now recommended every 3-5 yrs) in my teens a male MD alone was norm. Now there is ALWAYS a woman present as well. Something changed somewhere along the lines.

** because of the above, i don't think males are used to doing these types of procedures. The scheduler actually told me there were certain times I could not get BECAUSE of this.

Anyways, i just happened to go tanning today and the humidity here is cranking w no AC in my car. Now I feel kinda bad for these guys as i write from a pizza place and am now out the door to apt! Will post back for those who are curious.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness