U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 AM

792 posts, read 1,256,678 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd try to ask for help here since nobody seems to know anything about this. For maybe the past year or two I've had this sensation in my butt area (feels deep inside the tissue) periodically. Now it doesn't happen every day or even every week or month. I could go months without the feeling or it could happen several days in a row. It usually happens when I'm sitting down, although it doesn't seem to matter how long I've been sitting for this feeling to affect me. It only happens on one side of my butt area and it feels like it's deep in the tissue. It comes out of the blue and lasts for about 30 seconds and comes back several times before usually going away. It's just a really weird feeling and I don't know how to describe it. It's not really a tingling feeling but I feel like it's a nerve issue. It makes me want to massage the area because it's uncomfortable. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I just wonder if I'm the only one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:06 AM

14,174 posts, read 12,408,959 times
Does it kinda feel like when you hit your funny bone?....or more like a little cramp?

Sounds to me like it could be a nerve or muscle spasm.

I used to get a feeling like a muscle rippling through one of my butt cheeks, but it hasn't happened in many years now that I think about it. Not painful, just a ripple.

I just figured the muscle or a nerve got irritated by something.

Just a guess.

Last edited by Annie53; 09-02-2014 at 01:19 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,498,845 times
Of all the human beings in the world let me assure you that you aren't the only one to have the sensation you describe. I used to have something similar only on one side of my buttocks. Later on I was diagnosed with an auto-immune illness and I attribute that strange sensation to that diagnosis.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM

5,442 posts, read 4,508,737 times
The sciatic nerves run through each of your butt cheeks and down your legs. It's possible that something is impinging on that nerve while you are sitting.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Does it kinda feel like when you hit your funny bone?....or more like a little cramp?

Sounds to me like it could be a nerve or muscle spasm.

I used to get a feeling like a muscle rippling through one of my butt cheeks, but it hasn't happened in many years now that I think about it. Not painful, just a ripple.

I just figured the muscle or a nerve got irritated by something.

Just a guess.
Hmmm, well not really like I hit my funny bone, but I don't know how to really describe it. It doesn't radiate, it doesn't pulse, not burning, not cramps (which I do occasionally get in my foot and calf), just a really weird feeling that makes me want to massage it. Maybe a pinch deep inside the tissue is the best way I can describe it. It's sort of painful, but mainly just really uncomfortable. I'm guessing it might be a nerve like you said. I was just wondering if someone had the same feeling. What confuses me is that it comes and goes, sometimes I don't feel it for months but I've felt if for the past 3 or so days. If it becomes more frequent I may have to see a doctor, otherwise I'll probably just deal with it.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 21,231 times
Omg!! I havs the exact same feeling! I dont know what to do. Please help!!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM

811 posts, read 615,038 times
First thought: Sciatica. It's a pinched nerve that happens to lots and lots of people. There are exercises & stretches that can help. Some people eventually get surgery, but it's often not necessary or is just a nuisance that comes and goes.
Sciatica: What You Need to Know About Sciatica

Old 06-14-2015, 01:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,324,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Hmmm, well not really like I hit my funny bone, but I don't know how to really describe it. It doesn't radiate, it doesn't pulse, not burning, not cramps (which I do occasionally get in my foot and calf), just a really weird feeling that makes me want to massage it. Maybe a pinch deep inside the tissue is the best way I can describe it. It's sort of painful, but mainly just really uncomfortable. I'm guessing it might be a nerve like you said. I was just wondering if someone had the same feeling. What confuses me is that it comes and goes, sometimes I don't feel it for months but I've felt if for the past 3 or so days. If it becomes more frequent I may have to see a doctor, otherwise I'll probably just deal with it.
Does it radiate down your leg? I have piriformis syndrome which is pain in the buttock/lower back that does feel like I need to massage it but also the feeling extends down my leg. There are times when it gets so bad that I can barely walk but normally it's simply uncomfortable.

Piriformis Syndrome

Old 06-14-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Does it radiate down your leg? I have piriformis syndrome which is pain in the buttock/lower back that does feel like I need to massage it but also the feeling extends down my leg. There are times when it gets so bad that I can barely walk but normally it's simply uncomfortable.

Piriformis Syndrome
Wasn't expecting this thread to be revived but I haven't had the feeling in months. Not sure why but it just hasn't been there so that's good. The feeling doesn't radiate down my leg, or anywhere for that matter It just used to stay in one place for a few minutes and then go away. I can't say it was painful but it was uncomfortable, but didn't impede any physical functions. Anyways hopefully it doesn't come back.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 16,388 times
I've had something kind of similar?? & it comes and goes.....I can go weeks or sometimes months but this time its stayed for over a month and has been going on for years.
The only way I can describe it is I feel like my buttocks and upper thighs are in a straight jacket!!!
Not painful, just soooo uncomfortable I can't stand it ...I work from home & stand up when I'm working on my computer cuz I can't sit all day
.I can barely drive the car or go see a movie because I have to sit! I sleep on my stomach. If I do squats or excersize the glutes I feel better temporarily. Ive resorted to punching my butt because that helps for a few minutes. I know it sounds so weird.....HELP.......I hope someone in the world knows what I am talking about

btw: I'm a 47 yr old female with adhd and just weened off Effexor (I read that it could cause something like this),that I have been on for 17 yrs and I am feeling better already although its only been a handful of days since I took my last dose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness