Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which drug is the most Devastating ot our society?
heroin 16 21.05%
cocaine 10 13.16%
oxycontin 4 5.26%
alcohol 24 31.58%
Marijuana 0 0%
nicotine 6 7.89%
other 16 21.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:16 PM

28 posts, read 140,968 times

Advertisements

Alcohol, especially the spirit variety, is legal to anyone over a certain age, but can be just as intoxicating and addictive as the illegal drugs. Also, because it is legal, it has become an accepted part of our society. Our children see beer commercials on television, their impressionable minds equating something being on television with something that's all right.
There is not one single redeeming quality of alcohol, and it should be looked upon with the same disdain as heroin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,312 times
If it weren't for alcohol people would be fighting in the streets about anything under the sun. Alcohol helps many people cope with daily stress. A very small percentage abuse alcohol.

Heroine, on the other hand, is highly addictive. A heroin high is like an ongoing orgasm. After a while the body needs more of the substance to achieve the same high so the habit gets more expensive and leads to a good person doing really bad things to get the money for their next fix. This is where "bad for society" comes in. Most robberies by drug users are done by crack or herion users. Unlike most other drugs it is impossible to work while under the influence of heroine. Even musicians have major problems with productivity (writing, rehearsals, performances etc.)

Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 PM

139 posts, read 375,369 times
I went with alcohol as well. Though I think pretty much every drug listed was dangerous - except marijuana. I don't like the idea of the use of weed, but after all the research that I've read about and the people I know who have used it - it seems to be the least threatening. It kills brain cells and makes people feel lazy (though plenty of people are lazy despite not smoking pot xD lol) I hear about car accidents where the drivers are drunk, but I don't think I've ever heard about a car accident when a person was high... I can't even imagine someone who's high getting in an accident! lol, well, I can, but they'd be going like 6 mph and running into their own garage door or something like that xD but I can't imagine it being like those full-fledged 90 mph drunk driver accidents.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM

What about all of the people high on weed and munching on some chips while they are driving and drop some chips on the floor and start to look for the lost chip or two while doing 65 down the interstate and forget that they are driving and hit 7 or 8 cars and don't even realize it. Huh?

This is a MAJOR societal issue and I don't have the solution.

So............. I'll just go and get another drink and think about it some more.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
What about all of the people high on weed and munching on some chips while they are driving and drop some chips on the floor and start to look for the lost chip or two while doing 65 down the interstate and forget that they are driving and hit 7 or 8 cars and don't even realize it. Huh?
LOL!!!
I can actually imagine something like that happening even if someone WASN'T high. xD

Old 01-03-2008, 06:52 AM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
Quote:
If it weren't for alcohol people would be fighting in the streets about anything under the sun. Alcohol helps many people cope with daily stress. A very small percentage abuse alcohol.

Heroine, on the other hand, is highly addictive. A heroin high is like an ongoing orgasm. After a while the body needs more of the substance to achieve the same high so the habit gets more expensive and leads to a good person doing really bad things to get the money for their next fix. This is where "bad for society" comes in. Most robberies by drug users are done by crack or herion users. Unlike most other drugs it is impossible to work while under the influence of heroine. Even musicians have major problems with productivity (writing, rehearsals, performances etc.)
I just think your first comment is very interesting. Perhaps, you should check some stats about alcohol abuse. You may find them enlightening. The reason "it helps many people cope with daily stress" is because they are bombed on the alcohol, and cannot comprehend what is going on around them. Personally, that just sounds like a rationalism for use of the product.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 AM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
Quote:

This is a MAJOR societal issue and I don't have the solution.

So............. I'll just go and get another drink and think about it some more.
Marijuana has a useful purpose in the medical field. The only reason it is not legal is because the government has not found a way to tax it. I don't know how often the scenario you described actually exists, but I think it is few and far between. Most people using marijuana do so in places other than behind the wheel.

Personally, I am hoping for the day when medical marijuana is legalized, so people who can benefit from it can actually have it. But, I also believe that we should legalize certain amounts for personal use, and stop this nonsense with the courts and a drug which is rather mundane considering the others things available out there today.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Hmmm... the more I think about it... the more I think it's odd that hallucinogens aren't listed for the poll. Drugs like acid and ketamine (special K) could be fatal because the user feels invincible (to quote someone "I felt like God"), and there's been times when people forgot to breathe while they were looking at patterns and they died (or so I've been told). And I've also heard about times when people who had "bad trips" never got out of them - it was like they were permanetly schizophrenic after taking the drug.
Anyway, I just think it was weird that no hallucinogens were listed.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM

[quote=eddiek;2401223]Marijuana has a useful purpose in the medical field. The only reason it is not legal is because the government has not found a way to tax it. I don't know how often the scenario you described actually exists, but I think it is few and far between. Most people using marijuana do so in places other than behind the wheel.

Dude! lighten up! it was a joke...................get it?

a reference to having the "munchies" and not really caring about anything in general.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
I just think your first comment is very interesting. Perhaps, you should check some stats about alcohol abuse. You may find them enlightening. The reason "it helps many people cope with daily stress" is because they are bombed on the alcohol, and cannot comprehend what is going on around them. Personally, that just sounds like a rationalism for use of the product.
The reason it helps people deal with stress is that ethyl alcohol binds to many different environmental toxins that are known to cause undue stress on the central nervous system and helps clear these poisons from the body.

The pesticides used in the third world countries that grow marijuana are way more toxic than alcohol.

Organic marijuana would be awesome but my doughnut bill would be even higher.

I'll just get high off of life and knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness