Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Define "elderly."
Older than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 AM

235 posts, read 299,027 times
I'm blind as a bat without contacts but my 90 year-old grandmother needs no glasses except for readers.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Do/did you know any elderly persons who hardly suffer such common (and taken for granted) conditions as:
Presbyopia (vision problem) (this is much more common than cataract and usually taken for granted as if everyone will have it when older)
Loss of hearing
Dental problem (loss of teeth)
?
for the most part: me:

I do wear reading glasses, but after my cataract surgery I didn't need them for anything else.

I have all 32 teeth with no problems

My hearing is still good, but probably if I had it checked I have lost a little. I do have some trouble hearing when there is too much going on around me.

This doesn't mean I don't have some health problems. I have an appointment today to set up for my knee replacement or I think that is what he is going to tell me, I don't have the energy I had 30 or even 20 years ago and I certainly have a lot more aches and pains, but the 3 conditions you mentioned are not part of my aging problems.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have all 32 teeth with no problems.
Any special tips to keep them so healthy? Or just genes/luck?

Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Do/did you know any elderly persons who hardly suffer such common (and taken for granted) conditions as:
Presbyopia (vision problem) (this is much more common than cataract and usually taken for granted as if everyone will have it when older)
Loss of hearing
Dental problem (loss of teeth)
?
My grandmother who will turn 100 years old in early 2015 has ALL of her teeth and excellent vision. She only just in the last year start to lose some of her hearing, but I say being 98 years old and having all three (vision, hearing, teeth) is pretty darn good.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:29 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for the most part: me:

I do wear reading glasses, but after my cataract surgery I didn't need them for anything else.

I have all 32 teeth with no problems

My hearing is still good, but probably if I had it checked I have lost a little. I do have some trouble hearing when there is too much going on around me.

This doesn't mean I don't have some health problems. I have an appointment today to set up for my knee replacement or I think that is what he is going to tell me, I don't have the energy I had 30 or even 20 years ago and I certainly have a lot more aches and pains, but the 3 conditions you mentioned are not part of my aging problems.
That's one of the first signs of hearing loss. I have a little of that going on.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
All this is so individual - not just vision/hearing/teeth but everything else related to health and well-being. No generalizations are possible, really. I encountered a fourth grader (age 9, probably) the other day who wore a hearing aid. I am 70 and should now look into getting one myself, as my hearing has been going south for several years.

As for teeth, I have two implants already. I am getting four cleanings a year (every three months) in an effort to keep my gums healthy. To me it's well worth the extra cost even though it will not guarantee anything.

Recently I was at a dinner party where I encountered I woman I have known for a long time but do not see very often. She is 64 and looks like she is 110. Her skin is weathered and deeply lined from a lifetime of sun exposure as a horsewoman. Excessive alcohol and drugs in her youth probably didn't help matters either.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Any special tips to keep them so healthy? Or just genes/luck?
honestly, I think it is a combination of things, but mostly genes. My dad died at 93 and had all his teeth except for his wisdom teeth. As a kid,, we didn't do the twice a year dentist thing, but we were very diligent about brushing. I was in my mid teens the first time I saw a dentist.

Hubby has a partial plate, about 4 or 5 teeth in it but the rest of his teeth are great and his gums are unbelievable. He never saw a dentist til he was in college and paid for it himself. He was raised in a family that didn't believe in preventive medicine and figured everyone looses their teeth by the time they are 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness