U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM

32,379 posts, read 59,846,787 times

Advertisements

^^^And I bet it's a beautiful piece of Fiesta, too! [/jealous]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM

5,006 posts, read 13,858,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
So if we've been eating on inherited lead dishes for years, why are we still here?
It slowly builds up in the body, and then causes health problems. I think I covered it in some links here. But that is a very good question by the way.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:23 AM

498 posts, read 1,389,750 times
Smile Unite

Hi, I have a question. If you cook something on the plate in the microwave, then would the microwave kill the lead in the paint or make it more potent or do anything at all one way or another?? Does anyone know?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:57 AM

For Caoimhin:

Lead in China Dishes: A Dish Owner's Guide - Environmental Defense

Here is an enviromental report and some more links:

Office of Consumer Affairs
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Mail Stop MFE-88
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
888-INFO-FDA

California Department of Health Services
Food and Drug Branch
PO Box 942732
Sacramento, CA 94234-7320
(916) 445-2263

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-27-2008 at 04:27 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 AM

IngentaConnect Effect of microwave heating on leaching of lead from old ceramic ...

About microwaving and lead. Only problem is in order to read this article you have to subscribe to the magazine or whatever it is.

This one below is just another article on the California law on lead:

California Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch

Only thing I could find is that microwaving food in lead dishes causes the lead to leach out more. Storing food in lead containers does the same.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 AM

45 posts, read 433,827 times
Good morning, jessaka and Unite

Jessaka:

I’m afraid that you have mischaracterized my statement, and I never stated that it is “harmless to use dishes with lead in them.”

My post was very clear, in that I made the statement that the mere presence of lead in the item does not necessarily speak to the issue of whether or not it poses an hazard, since the lead may or may not be bioavailable. If the lead is not bioavailable, such as the case in fine leaded crystal (and many other items), then there is no hazard.

I have tested may different household items for lead, (total lead), and speciated that lead (which speaks to the issue of it’s availability).

In reading my posts, the devil is in the details; miss the details, and you will miss the meaning of the post.

Moderator cut: calling out a moderator

Unite:
I have not read the links provided to you, however, microwaving the item will do nothing to the lead content, or the availability of the lead in the item. Lead is a naturally occurring element that cannot be altered or changed, (except by radioactive decay or transmutation, which is beyond the scope of this post).

Jessaka is not quite accurate in her comment that microwaving food causes greater leaching from leaded items, to the extent that it is not the microwaves that are increasing the leaching, but rather it is the fact that the material (if the lead is available at all) is being heated. (This is not a personal put down, jessaka, it is simply the truth). Heat two identical items one in a microwave oven, and the other heated in a conventional convection oven, with the same material, and will both exhibit the same degree of leaching.

By the way, I have performed a number of such leaching teaching tests, wherein I have taken the cooking items and placed fruit juices and even strong acetic acid, in the items and compared the leachates for lead content. Usually I would determine total lead by x-ray fluorescence, and the leached lead by atomic absorption spectrophotometry; the ratio between the two speaks to the “leachability” but not necessarily to the bioavailability of the lead in the leachate.

We can then model the body burden of the consumed material and assess the overall risk posed by the item.

Cheers!
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-26-2008 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: calling out a moderator, please read rules of city data.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Jessaka is not quite accurate in her comment that microwaving food causes greater leaching from leaded items, to the extent that it is not the microwaves that are increasing the leaching, but rather it is the fact that the material (if the lead is available at all) is being heated.
California Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch

Quote:
Heating up food in a lead-containing dish can speed up the lead-leaching process.
This means to me that an oven or a microwave causes leaching. I didn't say that only a microwave causes this to happen.

Quote:
I made the statement that the mere presence of lead in the item does not necessarily speak to the issue of whether or not it poses an hazard, since the lead may or may not be bioavailable. If the lead is not bioavailable, such as the case in fine leaded crystal (and many other items), then there is no hazard.
A person would not know whether an item is safe or not, not unless we took it to your lab. Better safe than sorry. I gave a long list of what dishes are safe to use.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:38 PM

what could cause hair loss in the 3 females living in old air force base housing

In case you missed this thread would you be so kinda as to help this family out because they are having environmental issues?

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-27-2008 at 04:31 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

607 posts, read 3,309,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
So if we've been eating on inherited lead dishes for years, why are we still here?
Lead once entering the body will not be absorbed entirely by our bodies as it is not a trace mineral necessary for body function. That said, there is a portion of lead that will not be excreted and settles in different organs of he body. These deposits, with proper diet, will eventually chelate and leave the body without doing any damage. The problems arise from bad diet (low sulfur intake) but the major problem arises when lead breaks the blood/brain barrier and enters the brain. Many researchers agree that metals that have the ability to cross the blood/brain barrier are the cause of diseases such as autism, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, ADD and many nervous system functions. This occurs usually with acute exposure; factory/ industrial environments, ongoing environmental exposures like eating fish subject to pesticide runoff.

People are born with varying abilities to absorb and/or excrete different minerals. Some are necessary and some aren't. A great example is a person with so called "Wilson's disease" (lacking the ability to excrete excess copper). These people usually have childhood allergies and asthma, are creative and sensitive. High copper people will always have low Molybdenum levels and with low Molybdenum levels their bodies lack the ability to bind out or chelate metals such as lead and mercury. Thus if Copper is high in the body there is a much greater chance for that person to have high metals counts in the brain. This chain reaction has caused many people that should have been treated for high copper to be diagnosed with anything from mild depression to "incurable" insanity.

Bottom line.............. some get sick and some don't.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 AM

dennis, that was a very good post. Thanks for the information. It also made me think of all of those plumbers out there that work with copper daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or