U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,707,655 times
I have Oneida dishes - clearly stated made in China. Now I'm nervous. Do I need to get rid of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,750 times
I had Pfaltzgraff grapevine pattern made in USA when I was first married @17yrs ago. My mother bought me some more pieces this year and they are made in China now. The dishes feel and look cheap. They get extremely hot in the microwave and the glaze cracks. The grape decal has almost worn off (after about 6 months.) I wonder if these are safe - Pfaltzgraff says they have strict quality control but I dont know.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:03 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,457,011 times
NO CRACKED GLAZE DISHES ARE SAFE. Speaking as a ceramicist, glazes that crack due to age or heat will release toxins from the clay as well as the glazes into the food.

I have long known that the cheap ceramics from China can be deadly; even the cute little teapots and coffee mugs that they sell in Wal Mart use the cheap leaded glazes that crack. Microwave use as well as heat will cause cheap or poorly applied glazes to crack. Then the microwaves and heat puts whatever chemicals (not just lead) that are in the glaze and clay into your food. There ARE no-lead glazes, but China uses the cheap leaded ones; unless you know the difference during application, it is not visible to the naked eye after firing. The brighter glaze colors are often a direct result of the lead in the glaze. Also, you have no idea where the clay comes from or what contaminants it may have; all sorts of metals, etc. That may cause the ultra-heating of the plates in the microwave. Once the glaze cracks, it frees both. One thing I have noticed in my kiln after firing is that the leaded glazes 'move' more, drift across the underglazed pattern more readily than the non-leaded glazes that stay where you put them. That is not a way to 'test' for leaded glaze, however; merely a personal observation.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:17 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,351,069 times

Thanks for the thread!!
But just about everything is made in china
I have paying close attention lately to labls, underside of dishes etc. and I can't remember many that were not made in China..
and by the way, I had a very nice thick ceramic coffee mug, (my fav)
and it chipped and cracked on me after about 6 months, dangerous I might add

made in China

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 7,069,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post

Thanks for the thread!!
But just about everything is made in china
I have paying close attention lately to labls, underside of dishes etc. and I can't remember many that were not made in China..
and by the way, I had a very nice thick ceramic coffee mug, (my fav)
and it chipped and cracked on me after about 6 months, dangerous I might add
made in China
Is there some sort of vendetta against China? What's going on? Don't any of you have leaded crystal? I do and I'm sure more lead will each into my body from the crystal than from any glazed plate. I've read quite a bit about lead "poisoning" and had to take an in-depth course to obtain my certificate in MD.

Lead is a natural substance and as a result of mining, gasoline, industrial paint etcetera, lead is everywhere. In your food, in the dirt outside and probably in your drinking water as well.

Unless you're malnourished, your body will not absorb enough lead to make a difference in your health unless you or your child has been exposed to very high concentrations of lead in an industrial setting or during the renovation of a home with large-scale removal of old paint with improper dust containment and cleanup.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,457,011 times
Ture lead crystal has about 24% lead in it. While merely serving or drinking out of lead crystal should not hurt you, most folks who have owned lead crystal know not to keep their liquors, especially acidic wine, in their lovely lead crystal bottles, because over time it can leach the lead out.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 11,493 times
I just bought some plain old drinking glasses that were made in China. They are clear color and not painted. We will be drinking water out of them, not alcoholic beverages. Do I need to worry about lead?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM

12,461 posts, read 17,679,887 times
Interesting thread! My fine china is Lenox (Eternal and Holiday) so I think it is ok. I was worried about my everyday, Longaberger woven, so I googled and found this: http://www.longaberger.com/resources...er-Pottery.pdf They do import some pieces from China but they claim to be safe and meet the most stringent standards.

Now, our drinking glasses are another story. They are all going to have to go.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 10,640 times
could anyone please tell me the correct referance to call the spyder like cracks in old china. I thought it was crazing but cannot confirm it anywhere. Is it of another form of spelling?

Steve

Old 10-26-2010, 05:51 PM

29,990 posts, read 19,619,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimneysweep View Post
could anyone please tell me the correct referance to call the spyder like cracks in old china. I thought it was crazing but cannot confirm it anywhere. Is it of another form of spelling?

Steve
Cracks in the clear coat layer of china and pottery is called crazing. Your spelling is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness