Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 01:45 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You cannot get the same benefits from pills that you can get from a better diet. Drugs don't correct any problems, but a healthy lifestyle will correct many problems.

Drugs may provide an illusion of helping, because your cholesterol and blood pressure might be lowered. But you could still be very unhealthy.

I tried to explain this in another thread -- here is an example of someone who thinks lifestyle improvements and drugs have similar benefits. They also think it is not possible to convince patients to eat better.

But as I tried to explain, the problem is that they advise patients to lose weight by limiting calories, which almost never works permanently. So doctors decide that most patients don't have enough will power, and therefore give them drugs.
It is indeed impossible to convince some people to "eat better". Do you think they should be denied medication?

How does anyone lose weight without consuming fewer calories? I would be interested in seeing an explanation of the physics and biochemistry that allow that to happen. By the way, if you can do it, there is a fortune to be made and possibly a Nobel prize waiting for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 02:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Many did not have "long lives".

Average life expectancy in the US has increased due to better medical care, including medicines. No, it is not due to lower infant mortality. In 1900, a 65 year old white male would on average live an additional 12 years, for a black male, the figure was 10 years; white female, 12 years; black female, 11 years.

https://www.seniorliving.org/history...united-states/

"In 1900, the expectation for white men was to live to age 47 and 12 percent of those born in 1900 would make it to age 65. In contrast, an African American man born in 1900 was only expected to live until the age of 33 and of those born in 1900, only 10 percent of them would live to reach age 65."

"White women born in 1900 were expected to live until age 49 and of those women born in that decade, 12 percent would live to be age 65 and 4 percent to age 85. For African American women born in 1900, life was short. Their life expectancy was only 34 years and only 11 percent of those women would make it to age 65 and five percent would turn 85."

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2016/015.pdf

For 2015, age 65, average remaining life expectancy:

White male: 18.0 years
White female: 20.5 years
Black male: 16.4 years
Black female: 19.7 years

There has been a drop in life expectancy in the last two years, fueled by an increase in drug overdoses, especially in the 25 to 34 year old age group.

As you have been told many times, anecdotes about your own family are not data. The figures given are averages, meaning some died earlier and some died later. On average, people in the US are living longer, many of them due to medications.
In my family they lived long lives, today we are propping people up with more and more drugs so they can live into their 100's....and more and more people threw cigs away and that's what killed a lot of people earlier way back. I don't know where I read it, but someone asked a 90+ person their secret to longer life and the person said it's a scourge. Many today are outliving their money. And struggling to eat. Getting old is not a picnic and if one has a lot of money it's ok as they can pay help. Read some of the pathetic stories in the caregiver's section, I go there now and then and then have to back away as it's depressing.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-03-2018 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In my family they lived long lives, today we are propping people up with more and more drugs so they can live into their 100's....and more and more people threw cigs away and that's what killed a lot of people earlier way back. I don't know where I read it, but someone asked a 90+ person their secret to longer life and the person said it's a scourge. Many today are outliving their money. And struggling to eat. Getting old is not a picnic and if one has a lot of money it's ok as they can get help.
If you do not want to live longer, that's fine. Some of us do. I do not feel "propped up" at all. So far, at age 70, I have not had any of the cardiovascular diseases that killed my recent ancestors.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you do not want to live longer, that's fine. Some of us do. I do not feel "propped up" at all. So far, at age 70, I have not had any of the cardiovascular diseases that killed my recent ancestors.
I'm not propped up but life sure has changed at almost 80 and it's getting harder. And more drugs is not going to change it. I have a pretty strong heart too and both my parents had strong hearts that just did not want to stop but their bodies were ready to go.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:18 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,367,032 times
Life expectancy did NOT increase because of the new drugs! That is such a myth, meant to sell more drugs.

For example: life expectancy for white women, at age 65, increased by 3 years since 1960. That could be accounted for by decreased cigarette smoking.

Antibiotics and vaccines may have contributed to lower child mortality, which dramatically increased life expectancy in the mid 20th century.

SuzyQ said "Average life expectancy in the US has increased due to better medical care, including medicines. No, it is not due to lower infant mortality."

And that is simply a lie! And I'm sure she knows it's a lie. What "medicines" exactly is she talking about? Statin drugs? Even most MDs will admit they contributed nothing, or almost nothing to longer average life.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:29 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,367,032 times
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513492/

"Traditional efforts to prevent cardiovascular disease have emphasized the benefits of cholesterol lowering and statin drugs. Often overlooked is the fact that numerous studies of cholesterol lowering have failed to demonstrate a mortality benefit"

Old 06-03-2018, 05:41 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,225,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Life expectancy did NOT increase because of the new drugs! That is such a myth, meant to sell more drugs.

For example: life expectancy for white women, at age 65, increased by 3 years since 1960. That could be accounted for by decreased cigarette smoking.

Antibiotics and vaccines may have contributed to lower child mortality, which dramatically increased life expectancy in the mid 20th century.

SuzyQ said "Average life expectancy in the US has increased due to better medical care, including medicines. No, it is not due to lower infant mortality."

And that is simply a lie! And I'm sure she knows it's a lie. What "medicines" exactly is she talking about? Statin drugs? Even most MDs will admit they contributed nothing, or almost nothing to longer average life.
U.S. Life Expectancy Drops As Death Rate Continues To Grow | Tech Times

It is a fact, Suzy, why are you in denial? Americans live an unhealthy lifestyle today; from diet, to exercise, to over medicatio,n and the all the ills that causes. 70% of Seniors are on at least 5 medications daily. "Ask your doctor if this Pill is RIGHT FOR YOU". I know you do not like personal stories but my husband was just in the hospital for one medication interacting with another and causing kidney failure.

The hospital said to him WHY are you taking this when you are taking bla, bla? Well, when you take 17 medications daily and have 4 different doctors. this cannot happen, Suzy?????

This is not counting the Opioid Crisis we are now experiencing. Medicine is not at fault for any of this? Medicine is now our GOD! Damn, Suzy, I cannot remember the last time I took a TYLENOL, let alone pages of medications. Pure LUCK, right?

Stop pushing all the PILLS. How in today's society can anyone manage to reach the age of 65 without medications keeping them alive???? This is our problem today. Medicine and Pharms are getting rich on it.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:54 PM

Just a side note and I agree with so much here..Listening to my favorite MD on radio about Stem Cells etc (Regenerative MEdicine) and so many calls for his help. One person talked about how his mother got stem cells in Mexico for her advanced cancer and she's doing good. Then he went on to ask the MD why is the U.S. so behind in all this type of work and MD said pharma has a heavy heavy heavy influence on MD's and surgery and drug kingdom.

Then the caller said about Traditional Medicine = Tunnel Vision.

Actually it's more like visions of $$$$ dance in their heads.

Yes, I do take a couple pharma meds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-03-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 10:06 PM

48,261 posts, read 34,383,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
U.S. Life Expectancy Drops As Death Rate Continues To Grow | Tech Times

It is a fact, Suzy, why are you in denial? Americans live an unhealthy lifestyle today; from diet, to exercise, to over medicatio,n and the all the ills that causes. 70% of Seniors are on at least 5 medications daily. "Ask your doctor if this Pill is RIGHT FOR YOU". I know you do not like personal stories but my husband was just in the hospital for one medication interacting with another and causing kidney failure.

The hospital said to him WHY are you taking this when you are taking bla, bla? Well, when you take 17 medications daily and have 4 different doctors. this cannot happen, Suzy?????

This is not counting the Opioid Crisis we are now experiencing. Medicine is not at fault for any of this? Medicine is now our GOD! Damn, Suzy, I cannot remember the last time I took a TYLENOL, let alone pages of medications. Pure LUCK, right?

Stop pushing all the PILLS. How in today's society can anyone manage to reach the age of 65 without medications keeping them alive???? This is our problem today. Medicine and Pharms are getting rich on it.

That same article said for most years life expectancy increased.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,194,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Well thank goodness Dr Darrow gives his stem cell treatments away for free, ummmm
Lol. +1.

It's fascinating how obsessed (true textbook obsession) some are with what others take/don't take, eat etc.

If drinking urine, taking 101 pills, creams and oils everyday makes a person believe it's helping them, fine but why start forcing that crap on others? Want people to run from you? Start up with that nonsense. On either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness