Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

4 Years ago I had hip and knee pain and always needed ice to reduce the swelling. Then someone introduced me to fish oil to deal with the osteoarthritis and I noticed the increased flexibility. I was taking 5 fish oil pills a day for 2 years and then I started taking it twice a week. This year it's like I no longer need the fish oil because I have only taken it once every two weeks and no more flares ups. Plus I can eat the things that used to cause flamed joints like pork, chocolate, and ice tea. So I'm amazed that I feel so young and didn't need a knee or hip replacement at all. I highly recommend fish oil for anyone who has osteoarthritis because it definitely works. It takes about 7 days to feel a difference once you take it for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 AM

295 posts, read 832,666 times
My doctors recommended that I start on fish oil to reduce cholesterol/triglicerides. Of course, they wanted to put me on prescription pills that cost big $. Some people in my diabetes forum mentioned they take liquid fish oil (needed too many OTC capsules to equal the several prescription capsules per day). I started taking Carlson's Lemon Flavored Fish Oil (it comes plain and Orange flavor too) and wow, I love it. And I hate fish. This has no oily taste, no fishy taste and no fish burps as is common with capsules even when I'd freeze them. Just a pleasant light lemon flavor. I even mix a bit in salad dressing. Just one teaspoon or tablespoon per day (I take the tablespoon--just depends on your own body).

A HUGE side benefit was that the arthritis pain and swelling in one of my knees completely disappeared! That was 5 years ago and I've never again had swelling that had to be treated or any pain.

Not saying fish oil would work for everyone but I think it's worth a shot, whether it be capsules or liquid. All JMO

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM

[QUO TE=Trivett how es; fish 36973180]My do eorkedctors recommended that I start on fish oil to reduce cholesterol/triglicerides. Of course, they wanted to put me on prescription pills that cost big $. Some people in my diabetes forum mentioned they take liquid fish oil (needed too many OTC capsules to equal the several prescription capsules per day). I started taking Carlson's Lemon Flavored Fish Oil (it comes plain and Orange flavor too) and wow, I love it. And I hate fish. This has no oily taste, no fishy taste and no fish burps as is common with capsules even when I'd freeze them. Just a pleasant light lemon flavor. I even mix a bit in salad dressing. Just one teaspoon or tablespoon per day (I take the tablespoon--just depends on your own body).

A HUGE side benefit was that the arthritis pain and swelling in one of my knees completely disappeared! That was 5 years ago and I've never again had swelling that had to be treated or any pain.

Not saying fish oil would work for everyone but I think it's worth a shot, whether it be capsules or liquid. All JMO[/quote]

Yes and I'm glad I get to save money now because I don't have to spend as much money now on fish oil like I did 2 years ago. Also why those foods no longer trigger inflammatory joints like pork and tea? Just amazed at how well fish oil worked

Old 10-22-2014, 09:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM

708 posts, read 823,804 times
The fish oil that is often recommended is not as potent as it can be. Try taking fermemnted fish oil and I bet you'd see better results and potentially faster too.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Fish oil didn't help me, but I've recently bought some hemp oil....I haven't started regularly taking it yet because it has to be kept in the refrigerator and it gets hidden and I forget about it.

Has anyone else tried hemp oil? It's supposed to have all three of the good things, whatever they are....fish oil only has two.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Fish oil didn't help me, but I've recently bought some hemp oil....I haven't started regularly taking it yet because it has to be kept in the refrigerator and it gets hidden and I forget about it.

Has anyone else tried hemp oil? It's supposed to have all three of the good things, whatever they are....fish oil only has two.

I know certain brands of fish oil works better than others for joints

Last edited by FBJ; 10-23-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I know certsin brands of fish oil works better than others for joints
I took a good brand....Spring Valley. And I took it faithfully for at least a couple of years.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I took a good brand....Spring Valley. And I took it faithfully for at least a couple of years.

GNC is good too

Old 10-24-2014, 03:50 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Funny thing about the cat picture... I think fish oil cured my cat's arthritis!

She used to hiss when she got up after a long nap and she's returned to jumping the way she did when under 5. She is 14 now. This happened in past year. So did her drinking from toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness