Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times

Advertisements

I had a spinal fusion when I was 11 an year old girl. My doctor was Dr. DePalma and he performed the surgery at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. I was "stretched" prior to my operation and while on the stretching machine, a cast was placed around me. A hole was cut in the back of the cast for my spinal operation. I have scoliosis and my back bone is in the shape of an "S" . My spine was fused with a bone from each of my shins. I was in a body cast for 6 months - flat on my back - and a body brace for another 9 months which let me walk and sit. I am now 63 years old and have not had one single problem since that time. However, lately I have noticed that I am leaning toward the one side more and more and my hip seems to be rising on the one side. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the same kind of fusion and/or trouble in adulthood? I have no pain, but I don't want to be leaning toward the side as I get older and older. I am thinking about contacting the Rothman Institute for some help, but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else out there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Try posting your question on a scoliosis forum. The link below is for a British forum.

Scoliosis and Kyphosis. Forum discussing Scoliosis and Kyphosis at Patient.co.uk

Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
The National Scoliosis Foundation is located in the U.S. They also have a forum on their website:

National Scoliosis Foundation

Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
I have a friend whom this happened to after a childhood surgery to help fix her scoliosis. She is in her 60's now. She had to have another surgery a few years ago. She went to this doctor in St. Louis (she lives in California), because she researched it and said he specialized in the surgery she needed. Spinal surgery had significantly advanced from 50 years ago! The operation was successful.

Dr. Lawrence Lenke, MD, Expert Surgeon in Complex Spinal Deformity Surgery, St. Louis, Mo.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Spinal Fusion View Post
I had a spinal fusion when I was 11 an year old girl. My doctor was Dr. DePalma and he performed the surgery at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. I was "stretched" prior to my operation and while on the stretching machine, a cast was placed around me. A hole was cut in the back of the cast for my spinal operation. I have scoliosis and my back bone is in the shape of an "S" . My spine was fused with a bone from each of my shins. I was in a body cast for 6 months - flat on my back - and a body brace for another 9 months which let me walk and sit. I am now 63 years old and have not had one single problem since that time. However, lately I have noticed that I am leaning toward the one side more and more and my hip seems to be rising on the one side. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the same kind of fusion and/or trouble in adulthood? I have no pain, but I don't want to be leaning toward the side as I get older and older. I am thinking about contacting the Rothman Institute for some help, but would like to know if this has happened to anyone else out there. Thanks
Before anyone consents to more surgery, may I make a suggestion? There is a gentle yet very effective chiropractic method called "network spinal analysis". If you went to a chiropractic doctor with this specific training they would test you to see if you could benefit from their treatments. They will be honest with you about it. It would sure be worth a try before doing more surgery.

For me it has been an effective treatment for a sacroiliac joint problem. I go because, in my job, I also do some lifting related to patient care. I need to keep my spine in excellent condition. I can always tell when I'm having some pain caused by improper lifting. After a few treatments, my spine corrects due to the treatments I've been having. Also helps my posture significantly. In talking with my chiropractic doctors, they have told me that many conditions - even ones that were caused by surgery - can benefit from their treatments. But, first, they emphasize they do need to do an exam, take a health/surgery history, and some tests in order to get an accurate diagnosis before they can know whether a patient can be successfully treated.

What concerns me is that I know three adult people who had surgery for spinal conditions....2 for scoliosis, one for a degenerative condition. One surgery was a couple years ago, one was 7 years ago, and one was 25 years ago. Their M.D.'s told them *only* surgery could help them. They specifically told each person chiropractic would not help them. Today, these people are not in good condition after the surgery. Two are on opiates for the lingering severe pain. Sharing because M.D.'s seem to have an ongoing feud with chiropractors. My experience with chiropractors has been very good. I know others whose experience has been good. They do help people tremendously. If I had a serious back condition, worse than the one I have now, my first choice would be to try chiro. first because surgery generally isn't reversible without more surgery. I encourage anyone considering back surgery to consider alternative treatment before consenting to surgery. I'm just not real enthusiastic about unnecessary surgery or prescription meds.

Last edited by 'M'; 04-17-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness