Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:55 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

Hypnosis works really well for quitting. So does having a buddy to talk to when it gets bad, you could use both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 16,644 times
Default Quitting

I smoked for 40 years and tried the gum ,patch , pills etc. The only thing I had success wiuth was the electronic cigarette. I first used the liquid with nicotine the slowly weaned myself off and now use only non-nicotnine liquid The first week is the hardest for nicotine withdrawal. I would recommend the e-cig eStick Co. | Best eStick On The Marketbecause after 1 year I feel so much better and have saved a lot of money

Old 11-11-2014, 07:37 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
yep Im at 5 right now, and its not Marlboro red. Its Carlton. However I do feel so much more mentally sane. I can handle 5 then taper it down. I do understand that I am still smoking and there is NO safe amount or safe cigarette. However its better than 2 packs plus a day!
Your next cigarette is going to be a menthol. That's another cessation tip.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My brother quit by going through the SmokEnders program. Years ago, I think it was an eight week program. It worked for him. You couldn't buy nicotine replacement products then, either. Right gypsy?

There were a few things he learned which he found very helpful. Determine your worst triggers and eliminate them--then change the rest of them. Have someone you can talk to or call when you're seriously considering lighting up. Make it as inconvenient or uncomfortable as possible to smoke. Throw some butts in a jar, add water and take a good whiff of that every day. Save your cigarette money and spend it on something wonderful or frivolous. He didn't need to save that money, he just loved having that stash of cash (which would have gone up in smoke) to spend on himself.
My first quit was using the nicotine patch in conjunction with SmokeEnders. It didn't take. The patch has been around since the mid-'80s

Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My first quit was using the nicotine patch in conjunction with SmokeEnders. It didn't take. The patch has been around since the mid-'80s
Yup, NRT has been available for over 30 years, the Canadian Health Association is now studying an 82 mg NRT patch right now.

Menthol cigs are not a good idea.
New York Smokers Quitline - Sub page

Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
I'm sorry to hear it Steve but understand it.

With each quit you learn something that will help you in your final quit.

Very difficult to quit forever so don't be too hard on yourself. It isnt really a failing of yours, nic addiction is not designed to be quit easily.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, he can. The trick is getting beyond the first month or so without smoking at all. As long as a person keeps smoking, h/she will ALWAYS want another cigarette. We all underestimate how addictive nicotine is.
I quit smoking by tapering off. And I was a light smoker to begin with. Tapering off over a long period of time, when I finally quit it wasn't bad at all.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
yep I did not make it. I cracked last time and am trying again and can see its not too good this time too. I need to go to jail. Maybe a low level crime in a county jail in a rich town like Greenwich, CT.

Quote:
im terrible. thanks for asking gypsy. I just could not handle it and smoked 5 cigarettes. Im miserable with them and miserable without them. I am going to try again. So I failed. I feel like a failure too! I went 11 days smoke free and blew it. I will try again. I promise. I only let myself down.
Quote:
yep Im at 5 right now, and its not Marlboro red. Its Carlton. However I do feel so much more mentally sane. I can handle 5 then taper it down. I do understand that I am still smoking and there is NO safe amount or safe cigarette. However its better than 2 packs plus a day!

you really need to get educated about how this addiction works on your brain and how you think. you did not "make it" because you allowed your "junkie thinking" to tell your rational mind that you needed to smoke. when cravings like this happen you need to dip into your "tool box" and get past the craving. do breathing exercises, chew some gum, take a walk or scream if you have to, just do not take a puff.

remember a craving is like a labor pain. it has a start a peak and an end. you have to just last through the 3 minutes or so.

if you find you just can't get by without a cig go get a bit of nicotine gum and chew that. just don't smoke.

at about.com there is a smoking cessation forum that has all the info you need on what your brain and body does while it detxes. your addiciton will not give up easy and you need to have the tools to deal with it until you are free from it.

all of this does become easier try again, get past the two week point and you will feel lots better. for some people at 3 months they have another hard time for a day or two. again use the tools you need to get past the hard parts. hold special each day you don't smoke. save them up like a savings account. everyday you have in is a step to freedom.

you can get past being miserable smoking and get past being miserable because you are not. keep going. not one puss ever.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I quit smoking by tapering off. And I was a light smoker to begin with. Tapering off over a long period of time, when I finally quit it wasn't bad at all.

for some smokers especially heavy smokers, tapering off doesn't help because you never get the nicotine out of your system. it is the nicotine in your body as it decreases that makes the body yearn for more. tapering off for me was just not smoking as much for a day or so then right back at it.

you can "taper off" with the nicotine patch. the nicotine patch will take a 10 craving and make it a manageable 5 or 6 in intensity. they have 3 doses. the heaviest is about 1.5 packs worth, the least dose is only a few smokes worth. the patch, if you use it for the full 3 months they recommend also gives you time to learn how to be a non smokers as you do your normal routines. I could not have quit without it. cold turkey was way to brutal for me.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Hypnosis works really well for quitting. So does having a buddy to talk to when it gets bad, you could use both.
Does the hypnosis thing really work? How much was it?

Last edited by kpl1228; 11-12-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness