Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM

10,193 posts, read 6,253,761 times

Advertisements

[quote=markg91359;37205910]But Gardasil is not risky. The evidence coming back shows its very safe indeed. Did you bother to look this up before forming your conclusion? Or did you just decide "on your own" that it had to be risky?

CDC - Vaccine Information Statements (VIS) for Patients - HPV-Gardasil

I hope you never get a serious case of the flu. Influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in this country and 500,000 deaths worldwide. It is not a joke. It is not a mild illness for many people.

How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year?

Why not? Did you know that about 4,000 people die every year in this country from cervical cancer? The vaccine is 70% effective and this means we have the potential to stop 2,800 of those deaths. You can't watch your teenage daughters every second of every day. The vaccination can give them some protection while you are not around.

Wooden plows work, but most farmers today use tractors. Its very likely you have avoided getting most flu because others are vaccinated and you are benefiting from the herd immunity that has been created.[/quote

Did you read my post? I worked up close and personal with little children with the flu. Well, if THEY got their flu shots, it certainly did not work for them, so how was I prevented from catching the flu from THEM?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,521,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Did you read my post? I worked up close and personal with little children with the flu. Well, if THEY got their flu shots, it certainly did not work for them, so how was I prevented from catching the flu from THEM?
Are you a nurse?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 AM

36,984 posts, read 41,002,946 times
It is difficult to control for confounding in the over 65 age group because people in that group tend to have other medical problems. There is also the possibility that healthy people may choose to be vaccinated.

This study found the opposite of yours:

Effect of influenza vaccination on excess deaths occurring during periods of high circulation of influenza: cohort study in elderly people

Both of the studies are ten years old and do not reflect the use of the newer high dose vaccine in this age group.

The real question is whether vaccination prevents severe illness, as represented by ICU admissions and deaths, in all age groups. The experience in California in the 2013 - 2014 flu season for those under 65 years old suggests it does.

Influenza-Associated Intensive-Care Unit Admissions and Deaths — California, September 29, 2013–January 18, 2014

"Only six (21%) of 28 decedents whose vaccination status was known had documentation of receipt of 2013–14 seasonal influenza vaccine ≥2 weeks before symptom onset."

Here, 2010-2011 in the elderly:

Vaccine Effectiveness Against Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza Hospitalizations Among Elderly Adults During the 2010

"Receipt of the 2010–2011 seasonal influenza vaccine was associated with a 42% (95% confidence interval, 29%–53%) reduction in laboratory-confirmed influenza hospitalizations. Vaccine effectiveness estimates were consistent across age groups, by sex, and regardless of outcome severity, timing of testing, and when considering individuals vaccinated <7 or <14 days prior to admission as unvaccinated."

How about kids:

Influenza Vaccine Cuts Flu-Related Pediatric ICU Admissions

"Between 2010 and 2012, U.S. researchers examined data on some 45 children who were admitted to 21 pediatric ICUs with confirmed influenza, 170 ICU controls without influenza, and 90 community-based controls.

Vaccination coverage was low, with just 18% of influenza cases, 31% of ICU controls, and 51% of community controls fully vaccinated. In adjusted analyses, full vaccination was 74% to 82% effective in preventing influenza-related ICU admission. Partial vaccination coverage provided no benefit."

Ask any infectious disease expert and he will tell you he does not care if you get the flu and miss work or school for a few days. He just does not want you in his ICU.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Why not? Did you know that about 4,000 people die every year in this country from cervical cancer? The vaccine is 70% effective and this means we have the potential to stop 2,800 of those deaths. You can't watch your teenage daughters every second of every day. The vaccination can give them some protection while you are not around.
It's actually even better than that, Mark, even if only one dose is received:

82% Efficacy of the HPV Vaccines - Infectious Agents and Cancer blog

"Cases of certain HPV strains have plunged 56 percent among females 14 years old to 19 years old since the first vaccine, Merck & Co. (MRK)’s Gardasil, was introduced in 2006, according to an article yesterday in the Journal of Infectious Diseases. The shot is 82 percent effective against the virus that can cause cervical cancer if at least one of the three doses is given."

Old 11-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Not everyone who is exposed to the flu catches it. That does not mean they will never get it. It may mean you have just been lucky.

It also may mean you have some genetic gift that makes you naturally resistant to influenza, which is a topic of current research.

Host genetic determinants of influenza pathogenicity

Or, you may have been infected with one or more influenza viruses in the past and had only a mild illness, more like a cold.

None of that means that flu vaccine is not safe or effective, and your personal experience does not mean no one needs to take the vaccine. Other people do get the flu, and for some the illness is severe and potentially fatal.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,630,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The vaccine only covers a small handful of HPV strains. Pap smears have proven to be a very effective tool at preventing cervical cancer. The vaccine has come with serious reactions for some. I know that many who are pro vaccine choose to ignore these stories but I choose to take them into consideration. I will focus on condoms (which I know are not totally effective when it comes to HPV) and regular pap smears. It's not worth the slightly decreased chance of them contracting cervical cancer from HPV to get the vaccine, considering some of the stories we have heard. You can disagree with my decision but don't badger me about it. You will not change my mind.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,961,314 times
I got the flu shot once in my life. I got the flu 2 days afterwards that incapacitated me for 2 weeks. I couldn't get out of bed without falling over, constant muscle soreness, and a fever that ranged from 101 to 104. Was probably more than that but can't remember much because I was passed out for 80% of that. No thanks. Never again. I never had the flu prior to that, and now I get it every other year. At least those only last 2 or 3 days. And don't tell me it was just "flu like symptoms," 2 weeks of being bedridden qualifies as full blown flu.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:41 AM

26,646 posts, read 13,630,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
. There is also the possibility that healthy people may choose to be vaccinated.
This is important thing to note for sure. The studies are all over the place unfortunately. I think there are still a lot of unknowns in regards to flu shot efficacy. People can decide for themselves if they wish to get it or not. For me personally, I just don't see any need. I respect people's right to make choices for their families in regards to their medical care that make the most sense for them.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:16 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,155,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I got the flu shot once in my life. I got the flu 2 days afterwards that incapacitated me for 2 weeks. I couldn't get out of bed without falling over, constant muscle soreness, and a fever that ranged from 101 to 104. Was probably more than that but can't remember much because I was passed out for 80% of that. No thanks. Never again. I never had the flu prior to that, and now I get it every other year. At least those only last 2 or 3 days. And don't tell me it was just "flu like symptoms," 2 weeks of being bedridden qualifies as full blown flu.
The problem with what you are saying is that its impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. The flu shot is made from inactivated virus that is incapable of reproducing and causing the flu. Take a look at the link below from the CDC and read the section on "Can I get the flu from the influenza vaccine?"

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

What is very likely is that you were exposed to the flu right before you had your vaccination. The virus goes through an "incubation period" in your body that may last a week until you develop any symptoms. It takes two or three weeks for your system to build up enough antibodies after receiving the influenza shot, to prevent influenza. Another possibility is that you were exposed to a strain of flu that the immunization could not prevent.

I say jokingly to anyone: If you got the flu from an influenza shot than you better call the CDC right away. They'd like to know that you caught the flu from the flu shot. You'd be the first case.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,596,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
It takes 2 weeks after the flu vaccine for your immunity to come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness