Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 AM

128 posts, read 207,618 times

Advertisements

I get my flu shot every year...no problems here.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
What I like about people who avoid flu shots is that they will eventually come down with the flu, catch pneumonia and die. I would be opposed to euthanasia for the elderly, but these folks are volunteering. That is very nice of them.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:02 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What I like about people who avoid flu shots is that they will eventually come down with the flu, catch pneumonia and die. I would be opposed to euthanasia for the elderly, but these folks are volunteering. That is very nice of them.
There is no proof that getting the flu vaccine decreases your risk of dying from complication from the flu. The flu vaccine has not proved to be very effective in the population that is most at risk, which is seniors.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:21 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
The CDC, besides the high dosage flu shot, also wants Seniors to get a pneumonia shot severy year too. So if the flu shot doesn't work, you won't get pneumonia in addition????? lol

Old 11-09-2014, 09:22 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes, it is rare. It sounds like the uncle was the rare person who came down with it after getting the vaccine. It happens.
But why must vaccines be 100% safe when no activity in life is?

Driving a car isn't a 100% safe.

Walking isn't a 100% safe.

Eating food at a restaurant or at home isn't 100% safe.

The point is that everything you do in life involves a calculation of risk vs. benefit. Vaccines in the United States are subjected to rigorous testing and must win approval from the FDA before they can marketed to the public. The CDC than issues guidelines to physicians and the medical community as to how those vaccines should be used.

If that's not good enough for you, I cannot imagine any precautions that would satisfy you.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
There is no proof that getting the flu vaccine decreases your risk of dying from complication from the flu. The flu vaccine has not proved to be very effective in the population that is most at risk, which is seniors.
Not true. A study in the Netherlands confirmed it had a 58% efficacy rate among those 65 and older.

Flu Vaccine Effectiveness: Questions and Answers for Health Professionals | Health Professionals | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

Old 11-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

The point is that everything you do in life involves a calculation of risk vs. benefit. Vaccines in the United States are subjected to rigorous testing and must win approval from the FDA before they can marketed to the public. The CDC than issues guidelines to physicians and the medical community as to how those vaccines should be used.

If that's not good enough for you, I cannot imagine any precautions that would satisfy you.
I never said anything like that. You are choosing to infer a lot from my post which was nothing more then a factual statement.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Not true. A study in the Netherlands confirmed it had a 58% efficacy rate among those 65 and older.

Flu Vaccine Effectiveness: Questions and Answers for Health Professionals | Health Professionals | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)
That's one study. Here is another. JAMA Network | JAMA Internal Medicine | Impact of Influenza Vaccination on Seasonal Mortality in the US Elderly Population

Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I actually wasn't aware of this being in the news, thanks. However, I was very perturbed indeed when Gardasil, which was a very new drug, was proposed to be used on all girls. That seems wildly risky to me, and almost the basis for a disaster movie.

I stopped getting flu shots ages ago, when I realized that I never got the flu.
But Gardasil is not risky. The evidence coming back shows its very safe indeed. Did you bother to look this up before forming your conclusion? Or did you just decide "on your own" that it had to be risky?

http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopi...S/HPV-Gardasil

I hope you never get a serious case of the flu. Influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in this country and 500,000 deaths worldwide. It is not a joke. It is not a mild illness for many people.

How Many People Die From the Flu Each Year?

Quote:
Technically there is only a very small risk of complications if you get the flu. People can choose which risk makes more sense to them. Some prefer the risk from the vaccine, others prefer the risks that come with the flu. Also, the flu vaccine is supposedly only around 60% effective so even if you get the vaccine, you may still get the flu.

I don't get flu vaccines. I haven't had the flu in over 30 years. If I get the flu then I get the flu and I will take elderberry syrup and other things to support my immune system so that my body can fight it.

The statistics I cited above indicate that 36,000 people in America die every year from the influenza. This is approximately the same number that die in motor vehicle accidents. Do you regard that as a small number?

I have daughters and they will not be getting the Gardisil shot.
Why not? Did you know that about 4,000 people die every year in this country from cervical cancer? The vaccine is 70% effective and this means we have the potential to stop 2,800 of those deaths. You can't watch your teenage daughters every second of every day. The vaccination can give them some protection while you are not around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. That is MY motto as a Senior.
Wooden plows work, but most farmers today use tractors. Its very likely you have avoided getting most flu because others are vaccinated and you are benefiting from the herd immunity that has been created.

Last edited by markg91359; 11-09-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:

This. I was writing a post, digging up the risk percentages, but you got there first and said it probably better.

If you're choosing not to get a vaccine because it's not 100% safe, there's a whole heck of a lot of other things that you need to be worrying MORE about than vaccines! Things you no doubt do without even thinking about them every day.

Never mind the fact that getting the flu is many many many times more likely to kill you than the vaccine is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness