Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,738,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
There is a reason that you get congestion in your head if you never cover your head and you get it in your chest if you never cover your chest. I do not think it is random luck of the draw based on a virus in some cases.

I just use commons sense so maybe it is all virus related although everyday life cause-effect of walking around improperly dressed in winter seems to say something different.
Uh, no. I live in the frozen north, and I rarely wear a jacket. I NEVER wear a hat. Ever. Even last winter, the winter of the polar vortex, when it was -25 degrees F, I never wore a hat. I only wear gloves when it is maybe 0 degrees F. I never zip my coat.

I walk several miles every day, even in winter, and usually I walk in a tshirt - long sleeve if it is around 30 or below, short sleeve if above 30 F. I will throw on a windbreaker around 15 F.

I RARELY get sick. What I do, however, is drink lots of water, lots of tea, no soda. I eat raw ginger daily. I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I wash my hands frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
But what would happen to most people if they ran around in the snow with no clothes on for an hour?
You'd likely get frostbite on your tender bits.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:06 PM

6,978 posts, read 4,836,460 times
Quote:
But what would happen to most people if they ran around in the snow with no clothes on for an hour?
I remember a news story about a man who was teaching his children to be used to the cold. This was decades ago and now, of course, it would be called child abuse.....*sigh*

Anyway, there was a picture of him out in the snow with his kids all barefoot and wearing swimsuits and having a grand old time.

You can get used to the cold if you're exposed to it long enough and some people are just naturally "warm". Ask me about it. I go into the doctor complaining about being too hot all the time and he says menopause. Unfortunately, that's the standard reply to any woman between the ages of 12 and 90. But seriously, I can stand outside in 45 degree weather with a crisp breeze blowing and be perfectly comfortable. I don't own any long sleeved shirts and I never wear a coat. People are in winter coats when it's 60 degrees and asking me if I'm not freezing, and my answer is always, "Nope.".

But if the temp goes up to 70, that's just making me uncomfortable. Much over that, and I'll have the fan going. On the other hand, I have a friend who lives in Florida and when it goes down to 75°, she puts a jacket on. It's all what you get used to.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...and some people are just naturally "warm". Ask me about it. I go into the doctor complaining about being too hot all the time and he says menopause. Unfortunately, that's the standard reply to any woman between the ages of 12 and 90. But seriously, I can stand outside in 45 degree weather with a crisp breeze blowing and be perfectly comfortable. I don't own any long sleeved shirts and I never wear a coat. People are in winter coats when it's 60 degrees and asking me if I'm not freezing, and my answer is always, "Nope.".

But if the temp goes up to 70, that's just making me uncomfortable. Much over that, and I'll have the fan going. On the other hand, I have a friend who lives in Florida and when it goes down to 75°, she puts a jacket on. It's all what you get used to.
I concur!

I have always "run hot". Ironically, my normal body temperature is always right around 96. I also like hot summer weather, though. I have no problem sitting in the sun on a 90 degree day, reading my book.

Right now, my house temperature is 62 degrees. It will drop down lower once I go to bed. I sleep with a sheet and a blanket. I often wake up to find I've kicked off the covers. No, I'm not having hot flashes. I've often done this.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,220,898 times
I find I do catch cold more easily in cold weather, particularly if I go from cold to warm, back to cold repeatedly. I also get pimples in strange places like in my ears when I eat chocolate, even though that supposedly has been proven untrue. I go by experience, nor hearsay.

I try to ease my way into winter by continuing to jog when its in the 40's and 50's just like I build up a slow tan starting as early as late April rather than staying pasty white until June then getting burnt to a crisp.... body builds a tolerance rather than being shocked...

Last edited by sholomar; 11-06-2014 at 09:56 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,254,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I remember a news story about a man who was teaching his children to be used to the cold. This was decades ago and now, of course, it would be called child abuse.....*sigh*

Anyway, there was a picture of him out in the snow with his kids all barefoot and wearing swimsuits and having a grand old time.

You can get used to the cold if you're exposed to it long enough and some people are just naturally "warm". Ask me about it. I go into the doctor complaining about being too hot all the time and he says menopause. Unfortunately, that's the standard reply to any woman between the ages of 12 and 90. But seriously, I can stand outside in 45 degree weather with a crisp breeze blowing and be perfectly comfortable. I don't own any long sleeved shirts and I never wear a coat. People are in winter coats when it's 60 degrees and asking me if I'm not freezing, and my answer is always, "Nope.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Uh, no. I live in the frozen north, and I rarely wear a jacket. I NEVER wear a hat. Ever. Even last winter, the winter of the polar vortex, when it was -25 degrees F, I never wore a hat. I only wear gloves when it is maybe 0 degrees F. I never zip my coat.

I walk several miles every day, even in winter, and usually I walk in a tshirt - long sleeve if it is around 30 or below, short sleeve if above 30 F. I will throw on a windbreaker around 15 F.

I RARELY get sick. What I do, however, is drink lots of water, lots of tea, no soda. I eat raw ginger daily. I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I wash my hands frequently.
I agree with both of these. It doesn't take much for me to warm up in cold temps. I can't believe how overdressed most people are around here.....it's like the moment the mercury falls below 70 degrees people around here start griping about the cold and wearing heavy jackets!

I can only wear a true winter coat if it's below something like 15 degrees. Most of the time during the colder season, regardless of the temp, I am fine wearing a fleece or down vest along with whatever shirt I have on. I can't wear very thick clothing ever and I don't layer. I HATE hats and NEVER wear them, either!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:42 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,221,409 times
Quote:
Frostbite.... I roll around in the snow with no clothes on but only for 5 minutes at a time, after sauna, or a dip in an ice hole in the lake. Does not make me ill. Feel about a hundred times healthier afterwards actually.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,457,571 times
Quote:
If you did this in Alaska, you would be dead... ...Mama Palin has been known to pack a mean gun!!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:27 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously???

You just "read this"????

The germ theory of disease has been around since 1870.....
Oh come on now, we ALL had parents and/or grandparents (at least ONE) who told us to "bundle up so we don't 'catch' a cold."

Old 11-07-2014, 04:33 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

But what do I know. I only use common sense and believe the sharp rise in autism and other brain-related diseases in children nowadays has to do with the high amount of chemicals (read: pesticides) that fetuses injest through mom during brain development due to crap that the gov't allows to go on our food nowadays and the crap in our water and air but that's just me. What do I know. They only tell you not to eat certain foods during pregnancy and then turn around and tell us we can imbibe as many pesticides as we want on food during the same pregnancy. I just use commons sense so maybe it is all virus related although everyday life cause-effect of walking around improperly dressed in winter seems to say something different.
Off topic but I believe this is a culprit too. And all of the chemicals from plastics and perhaps even cell tower radiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness