U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Comma: blood sugar level, both sides stroke, hospital chaplain, diabetes, Christmas time, death

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM

355 posts, read 2,496,166 times

Advertisements

Hi, my grandmother has been in the hospital for what seems like more than a month now. She went into a comma and still has not came out of it yet. She is a diabetic and when they brung her to the hospital, her blood sugar level was about 1,000. The doctors also said that she has a stroke on both sides. I am not sure what that means, but I know it is bad. Whenever I go to see her, I notice that her legs move occasionally and her lips seem to move a little, and it seems her eyes want to open a little. When I visit her, I talk to her because I feel as though she can hear me. One day when I visited her, I noticed that when I told her that I was about to leave to go to work, it looked as though tears were coming out of her eyes. Has anyone had anyone in their family go into a comma like this or can anyone provide me with some facts about commas? I need help, please. I am crying as I type this post and can't stop thinking about my gram gram and how much I love her. I try not to think about it while I am at work, because as a dentist, I must concentrate on my patients. Does any one know how I can cope with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,276,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi, my grandmother has been in the hospital for what seems like more than a month now.
Nashcash23,

You must be strong. My guess is that you are a young person and you don't have much experience with loss. It's a part of life that people, all people, die and go to heaven, and we can't alway control when that happens. When it does happen, it really knocks the wind out of us and cuts us to our core. We don't want to grow old and lose the people we love. We want them to be in our lives forever just like that childhood home we grew up in. It may be your grandmother's time to pass on, and if it is, you'll be okay and you'll be strong for her and those around you.

greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 PM

283 posts, read 487,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi, my grandmother has been in the hospital for what seems like more than a month now. She went into a comma and still has not came out of it yet. She is a diabetic and when they brung her to the hospital, her blood sugar level was about 1,000. The doctors also said that she has a stroke on both sides. I am not sure what that means, but I know it is bad. Whenever I go to see her, I notice that her legs move occasionally and her lips seem to move a little, and it seems her eyes want to open a little. When I visit her, I talk to her because I feel as though she can hear me. One day when I visited her, I noticed that when I told her that I was about to leave to go to work, it looked as though tears were coming out of her eyes. Has anyone had anyone in their family go into a comma like this or can anyone provide me with some facts about commas? I need help, please. I am crying as I type this post and can't stop thinking about my gram gram and how much I love her. I try not to think about it while I am at work, because as a dentist, I must concentrate on my patients. Does any one know how I can cope with this?
Nash, how sad for you and your family to be having to grow through this. be strong, even though I know it's tough. I knew of a young lady who had the same thing happen. She went into a diabetic comma and it was touch and go for a while. I think visiting with your grams, letting her know that you're there is one of the best therapies for both of you. Please don't be afraid to touch her (if the docs say its ok), take some lotion in and just rub her hands, read a book. The "experts" say that people can sometime hear while in a coma.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,394,134 times
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I agree with all the other posters, please continue to visit and touch your grandmother - hearing is the last sense to "go" and she could hear all you are saying.

In the meantime, if you are very sad and need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to ask a nurse to call the hospital chaplain in to speak with you. My best friend is a pastor and volunteers each week in the hospital as a chaplain. They can help you feel at ease and even pray with/for your gram gram if that's something you would like.

You and your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Nashcash23,

You must be strong. My guess is that you are a young person and you don't have much experience with loss. It's a part of life that people, all people, die and go to heaven, and we can't alway control when that happens. When it does happen, it really knocks the wind out of us and cuts us to our core. We don't want to grow old and lose the people we love. We want them to be in our lives forever just like that childhood home we grew up in. It may be your grandmother's time to pass on, and if it is, you'll be okay and you'll be strong for her and those around you.

greenie
You are right. Even though I am in my early 30s, I have only had one person die so far in my life, who was my grandfather . He died when I was still a child. At that time, I did not know much about death and did not really know what was going on. I remember the funeral quite well even to this day. I remember looking in the casket and seeing him laying there looking pale. I only looked in the casket a short while and did not really think much about it. I have a hard time accepting death and it is one of those things that when I was growing up, was a conversation that was always avoided and never brought up. I am still trying to keep strong, but it is a day to day event. My grandmother has went into these comas before, but they have never lasted this long. I am still praying to god and have not lost hope. The saddest part of the matter is that this happened right around Christmas time, the time when being together as a family is most important.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,074,583 times
Nashcash23
I know your feelings. I can only tell you that death is something that we don't want to contemplate for ourselves or our loved ones. But it is a fact of life that can't be changed.
There have been 4 people in my family who have passed in the last 3 months. One was a grandmother. The others were close cousins that I grew up with.
If the person is older and time is running out, I try to be thankful for the years they were here with us and had the good luck to live to be older.
The reason for the last comment is this:
I had a son-in-law who was killed in an industrial accident when he was 26 years old. My daughter was a widow at 25 with a 4 year old son. He was more than a son-in-law. He was my buddy and friend. That happened 8 years ago and I still miss him bad.
Two days ago 5 people in a mini van were killed by a drunk driver who was going the wrong way on an interstate highway in the state I live in. One of the victims was 2 months old. I just say this because there are no quarantees in life for anyone.
Things like that make me thankful for family members who have had the chance to live a full life.
I know my post is getting kinda deep but what I am trying to convey is, be thankful for the time you have with those that you love. Hopefully your "gram gram" will improve and be with you for much, much longer.
If that isn't what is in store, then cherish the memories and know she is in a better place.
There was a song that said--There are holes in the floor of heaven that folks can look down through.
Be strong and make her proud of you if it comes her time to look down.
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
And yes, talk to her. When my Dad was in a coma the nurse told me he could still hear what was being said. He was 83 when I lost him. But he could hear me tell him I loved him and was proud to be his son before he left us.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,854,043 times
I am so sorry that you are going through it. When my mom lay in a coma we were told that she could hear us. I agree that touching her would be a good idea, even reading to her. My thoughts are with you.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Smile Good new!!!

I have good news. I went see my grandmother this afternoon and she seems to be doing great. She is still in the coma, but while I was visiting, her eyes opened a few times and she also had some shoulder and leg movement. I spoke to a very kind nurse and she told me that her blood sugar level was starting to return back to normal and that things such as her potassium and sodium levels were starting to come back to normal as well, which is a good sign. I know my grandmother can hear me because I told her if she can hear me to try to squinch her eyes and she did. This made me very happy and I suspect that she will be coming out of her comma any day now. I would like to thank all of you on this thread for your care and support. It has been very uplifting. I will be sure to keep you all notified on her condition.

~Nashcash23~

Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,854,043 times
That is good news.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Smile She woke up this morning!

Hello everyone, I got a call from a family member that informed me that my grandmother came out of her coma this morning. God is good! I am so happy that my grandmother is back. I can't wait to go see her. Thank all of you for your kind support and uplifting words. May God bless you all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or